Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Minimum graphics card?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 6:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious gamer
most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have an
Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec graphics
card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how does
PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)

Thanks for any advice.

--
user00

More about : minimum graphics card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 6:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

user00 wrote:
> The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious gamer
> most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have an
> Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
> things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec graphics
> card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how does
> PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)

Don't know about PCI, but an ATI 9800 Pro (AGP) will handle HL2
perfectly well.


How much do you want to spend? Also note that you'll need a PCI
motherboard to use a PCI graphics card. What have you got, or are
intending to get?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 6:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

user00 wrote:
> The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious gamer
> most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have an
> Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
> things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec graphics
> card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how does
> PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> --
> user00
Related resources
June 6, 2005 6:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

get a nvidia 6600gt and be done with it. It will play or do any graphics/
less that 180 us dollars.
"user00" <user00@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o bZoe.46159$G8.37174@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious
> gamer most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will
> have an Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard
> drive (all things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum
> spec graphics card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably
> well? And how does PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all
> the rage ;-)
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> --
> user00
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 7:35:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1118071480.981847.264440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> user00 wrote:
>> The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious
>> gamer
>> most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have
>> an
>> Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
>> things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec
>> graphics
>> card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how
>> does
>> PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>

playing using a humble ati 9000 with cat 5.5 drivers. have an xp barton
rated at 2800 actual frequency 2.1. The sound is built into the mobo.
However it isn't stereo out it is a single cable going straight into my
creative 2500 amplifier with 5.1 speakers. and i have HL sound set to 5.1.
resolution is 800x600. bog standard philips 170B4 17" LCD monitor.
Microsoft optical mouse and natural mulimedia keyboard.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 8:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 6/6/2005 8:35 AM ian lincoln brightened our day with:

>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1118071480.981847.264440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>>user00 wrote:
>>
>>
>>>The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious
>>>gamer
>>>most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have
>>>an
>>>Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
>>>things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec
>>>graphics
>>>card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how
>>>does
>>>PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)
>>>
>>>Thanks for any advice.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>playing using a humble ati 9000 with cat 5.5 drivers. have an xp barton
>rated at 2800 actual frequency 2.1. The sound is built into the mobo.
>However it isn't stereo out it is a single cable going straight into my
>creative 2500 amplifier with 5.1 speakers. and i have HL sound set to 5.1.
>resolution is 800x600. bog standard philips 170B4 17" LCD monitor.
>Microsoft optical mouse and natural mulimedia keyboard.
>
>
>
>
FYI that single cable carries a stereo signal. Ya know, like a set of
headphones do.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 8:27:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 6/6/2005 8:48 AM BigJim brightened our day with:

>get a nvidia 6600gt and be done with it. It will play or do any graphics/
>less that 180 us dollars.
>
>
And if you get the right PCI-E board you can run SLI.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 10:03:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿>
Newsgroups: alt.games.half-life
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: Minimum graphics card?


> On 6/6/2005 8:48 AM BigJim brightened our day with:
>
>>get a nvidia 6600gt and be done with it. It will play or do any graphics/
>>less that 180 us dollars.
>>
> And if you get the right PCI-E board you can run SLI.


I'm going for an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux motherboard.

Based upon my limited reading I was thinking of 2 x GeForce 6600 GT in SLI
configuration. Would an upgrade to 2 x GeForce 6800 LE offer substantial
improvements to my enjoyment of HL? It jumps the cost quite a bit.

--
user00
June 6, 2005 10:03:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"user00" <user00@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Cd0pe.46282$G8.27527@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
>
> I'm going for an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux motherboard.
>
> Based upon my limited reading I was thinking of 2 x GeForce 6600 GT in SLI
> configuration. Would an upgrade to 2 x GeForce 6800 LE offer substantial
> improvements to my enjoyment of HL? It jumps the cost quite a bit.
>

I believe that the 6800LE is actually slower than the 6600GT.

For your purposes one 6600GT is all you really need, this is what I use for
HL games and I'm more than satisfied. Besides, two 6600GTs in SLI will only
rival a single 6800GT, but a single 6800GT requires less power and no SLI
mobo. So if you want that kind of power go with the 6800GT (or take your
chances modding a vanilla 6800 to a 6800GT).

True SLI makes sense if you want today's ultimate gaming rig, powering two
flagship cards, right from the start - otherwise it's a rather poor value.
No matter how much power you buy into now, future slot revisions, and future
developments of DirectX, are going to kill off today's most powerful cards
like any other card. Dual cards also buck the trend of miniaturization as
the next generation of GPUs are probably going to offer today's SLI power in
a single card anyway.

I think NVidia revived dual-card setups because there's simply a market for
it, but no game developer in their right mind would ever *require* it since
such a small percentage of customers even have it. I suggest a good
midrange card like the 6600GT. When it starts feeling its age buy another
mid-range. In spite of the fact that you'll have to replace it sooner you'll
still save a lot of money while enjoying features not even found on today's
uber-cards.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 10:43:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:26:50 GMT, LymanAlpha <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:

>On 6/6/2005 8:35 AM ian lincoln brightened our day with:
>
>>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:1118071480.981847.264440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>>user00 wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious
>>>>gamer
>>>>most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have
>>>>an
>>>>Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
>>>>things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec
>>>>graphics
>>>>card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how
>>>>does
>>>>PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)
>>>>
>>>>Thanks for any advice.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>playing using a humble ati 9000 with cat 5.5 drivers. have an xp barton
>>rated at 2800 actual frequency 2.1. The sound is built into the mobo.
>>However it isn't stereo out it is a single cable going straight into my
>>creative 2500 amplifier with 5.1 speakers. and i have HL sound set to 5.1.
>>resolution is 800x600. bog standard philips 170B4 17" LCD monitor.
>>Microsoft optical mouse and natural mulimedia keyboard.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>FYI that single cable carries a stereo signal. Ya know, like a set of
>headphones do.

no, user00's description applies to a cable carrying a single digital
signal to an external decoder which decodes and seperates it into 6
analogue streams then amplifies those signals for the speakers.

dr ratt

------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 12:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote in message
news:p umdnVD5kJ8kMznfRVn-og@comcast.com...
>
> "user00" <user00@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:Cd0pe.46282$G8.27527@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>>
>> I'm going for an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux motherboard.
>>
>> Based upon my limited reading I was thinking of 2 x GeForce 6600 GT in
>> SLI configuration. Would an upgrade to 2 x GeForce 6800 LE offer
>> substantial improvements to my enjoyment of HL? It jumps the cost quite a
>> bit.
>>
>
> I believe that the 6800LE is actually slower than the 6600GT.
>
> For your purposes one 6600GT is all you really need, this is what I use
> for HL games and I'm more than satisfied. Besides, two 6600GTs in SLI will
> only rival a single 6800GT, but a single 6800GT requires less power and no
> SLI mobo. So if you want that kind of power go with the 6800GT (or take
> your chances modding a vanilla 6800 to a 6800GT).
>
> True SLI makes sense if you want today's ultimate gaming rig, powering
> two flagship cards, right from the start - otherwise it's a rather poor
> value. No matter how much power you buy into now, future slot revisions,
> and future developments of DirectX, are going to kill off today's most
> powerful cards like any other card. Dual cards also buck the trend of
> miniaturization as the next generation of GPUs are probably going to offer
> today's SLI power in a single card anyway.
>
> I think NVidia revived dual-card setups because there's simply a market
> for it, but no game developer in their right mind would ever *require* it
> since such a small percentage of customers even have it. I suggest a good
> midrange card like the 6600GT. When it starts feeling its age buy another
> mid-range. In spite of the fact that you'll have to replace it sooner
> you'll still save a lot of money while enjoying features not even found on
> today's uber-cards.
>

Thanks Gordon, just the sort of tech advice I wanted. I can make a saving on
the motherboard and the graphics cards by just going for the single 6800GT.

--
user00
June 7, 2005 12:37:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"user00" <user00@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ru2pe.46376$G8.44602@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

>
> Thanks Gordon, just the sort of tech advice I wanted. I can make a saving
> on the motherboard and the graphics cards by just going for the single
> 6800GT.
>


I think that's the best way to go. Another advantage to a single card is
that games need to support SLI in order to benefit from it, a single card
bypasses that issue entirely.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 1:25:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 6/6/2005 10:43 AM dr ratt brightened our day with:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:26:50 GMT, LymanAlpha <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:
>
>
>
>>On 6/6/2005 8:35 AM ian lincoln brightened our day with:
>>
>>
>>
>>>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:1118071480.981847.264440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>user00 wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious
>>>>>gamer
>>>>>most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will have
>>>>>an
>>>>>Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive (all
>>>>>things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec
>>>>>graphics
>>>>>card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how
>>>>>does
>>>>>PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks for any advice.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>playing using a humble ati 9000 with cat 5.5 drivers. have an xp barton
>>>rated at 2800 actual frequency 2.1. The sound is built into the mobo.
>>>However it isn't stereo out it is a single cable going straight into my
>>>creative 2500 amplifier with 5.1 speakers. and i have HL sound set to 5.1.
>>>resolution is 800x600. bog standard philips 170B4 17" LCD monitor.
>>>Microsoft optical mouse and natural mulimedia keyboard.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>FYI that single cable carries a stereo signal. Ya know, like a set of
>>headphones do.
>>
>>
>
>no, user00's description applies to a cable carrying a single digital
>signal to an external decoder which decodes and seperates it into 6
>analogue streams then amplifies those signals for the speakers.
>
>dr ratt
>
>
>
>
I was replying to ian and I haven't heard of that many older
motherboards that offered onboard sound with digital outputs.


--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 1:34:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"user00" <user00@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Cd0pe.46282$G8.27527@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿>
> Newsgroups: alt.games.half-life
> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 5:27 PM
> Subject: Re: Minimum graphics card?
>
>
>> On 6/6/2005 8:48 AM BigJim brightened our day with:
>>
>>> get a nvidia 6600gt and be done with it. It will play or do any
>>> graphics/ less that 180 us dollars.
>>>
>> And if you get the right PCI-E board you can run SLI.
>
>
> I'm going for an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux motherboard.
>
> Based upon my limited reading I was thinking of 2 x GeForce 6600 GT
> in SLI configuration. Would an upgrade to 2 x GeForce 6800 LE offer
> substantial improvements to my enjoyment of HL? It jumps the cost
> quite a bit.

A GF6800LE isn't really an upgrade :(  It's a pretty crippled up 6800
vanilla. BUT you can get 2 6600GT's for a bit less than what I paid for
one 6800GT!
McG.
June 7, 2005 1:34:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Vj3pe.27298$j51.17018@tornado.texas.rr.com...

>
> A GF6800LE isn't really an upgrade :(  It's a pretty crippled up 6800
> vanilla. BUT you can get 2 6600GT's for a bit less than what I paid for
> one 6800GT!
> .

According to the latest NewEgg pricing the difference is negligible (two
6600GTs vs one 6800GT), plus you don't have to pay for the SLI mobo. Also, a
6800GT's power benefits all games, not just games that support SLI.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 1:36:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
news:ub3pe.25097$J12.13247@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> On 6/6/2005 10:43 AM dr ratt brightened our day with:
>
>>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:26:50 GMT, LymanAlpha <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>On 6/6/2005 8:35 AM ian lincoln brightened our day with:
>>>
>>>
>>>>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>news:1118071480.981847.264440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>user00 wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>The only games I play are the Half-Life series (so I'm not the serious
>>>>>>gamer
>>>>>>most of you guys seem to be). I'm trying to spec a new PC. It will
>>>>>>have an
>>>>>>Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 1024Mb DDR 400 RAM and a SATA hard drive
>>>>>>(all
>>>>>>things I need for other stuff I am doing). What's the minimum spec
>>>>>>graphics
>>>>>>card I need to add to get Half Life 2 to run reasonably well? And how
>>>>>>does
>>>>>>PCI Express work? Last time I bought a PC AGP was all the rage ;-)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Thanks for any advice.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>playing using a humble ati 9000 with cat 5.5 drivers. have an xp barton
>>>>rated at 2800 actual frequency 2.1. The sound is built into the mobo.
>>>>However it isn't stereo out it is a single cable going straight into my
>>>>creative 2500 amplifier with 5.1 speakers. and i have HL sound set to
>>>>5.1. resolution is 800x600. bog standard philips 170B4 17" LCD monitor.
>>>>Microsoft optical mouse and natural mulimedia keyboard.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>FYI that single cable carries a stereo signal. Ya know, like a set of
>>>headphones do.
>>>
>>
>>no, user00's description applies to a cable carrying a single digital
>>signal to an external decoder which decodes and seperates it into 6
>>analogue streams then amplifies those signals for the speakers.
>>
>>dr ratt
>>
>>
>>
> I was replying to ian and I haven't heard of that many older motherboards
> that offered onboard sound with digital outputs.
>

Dr rat is quite correct. Headphones is analogue, and there are at least
three wires. I suspect leaving the decoding to the external amplifier is
sparing my cpu for more important tasks. The mobo was an asus a7v600-x

I had a soundblaster live that used to be plugged into the analogue in and a
hollywood decoder card that had the single digital output to the amp. The
ati 9000 does a better job rendering the video. The mobo has a digital out.
The live card is pre 5.1 so didn't have digital out. The sound is
exquisite. If i had a cheaper amp then the soundcard would have to do the
decoding. Analogue out on mobos is usually pretty bad and requires alot of
cpu runtime. As i mentioned above the decoding is done by the creative amp
(£200 retail with the speakers). Long since discontinued. HL2 detected my
video card said it was directx 8.1 hardware and 9.ob software. It only
skips occasionally when there are alot of explosions going on. I have 512mb
ram . I wonder if another stick will reduce the hard drive thrashing.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 2:35:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:14:44 -0400, "Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote:

>
>"user00" <user00@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:Cd0pe.46282$G8.27527@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>>
>> I'm going for an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux motherboard.
>>
>> Based upon my limited reading I was thinking of 2 x GeForce 6600 GT in SLI
>> configuration. Would an upgrade to 2 x GeForce 6800 LE offer substantial
>> improvements to my enjoyment of HL? It jumps the cost quite a bit.
>>
>
>I believe that the 6800LE is actually slower than the 6600GT.
>

true, but all 68xx series cards have 256bit vram bus, all 66xx have
128bit.
the 68xx also have more pipelines than the 66xx, if you feel lucky
[punk] try unlocking the masked pipelines on 6800le converting it to
gt spec, i believe.

>For your purposes one 6600GT is all you really need, this is what I use for
>HL games and I'm more than satisfied. Besides, two 6600GTs in SLI will only
>rival a single 6800GT, but a single 6800GT requires less power and no SLI
>mobo. So if you want that kind of power go with the 6800GT (or take your
>chances modding a vanilla 6800 to a 6800GT).
>
>True SLI makes sense if you want today's ultimate gaming rig, powering two
>flagship cards, right from the start - otherwise it's a rather poor value.
>No matter how much power you buy into now, future slot revisions, and future
>developments of DirectX, are going to kill off today's most powerful cards
>like any other card. Dual cards also buck the trend of miniaturization as
>the next generation of GPUs are probably going to offer today's SLI power in
>a single card anyway.
>
>I think NVidia revived dual-card setups because there's simply a market for
>it, but no game developer in their right mind would ever *require* it since
>such a small percentage of customers even have it. I suggest a good
>midrange card like the 6600GT. When it starts feeling its age buy another
>mid-range. In spite of the fact that you'll have to replace it sooner you'll
>still save a lot of money while enjoying features not even found on today's
>uber-cards.
>

in the last week i've seen 6800le on ebay.uk from £115, up to around
£150, all listed as brand new.
dr ratt

------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
June 7, 2005 2:35:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:s2g9a1p79ahof50a7srtej65rn70jme2m8@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:14:44 -0400, "Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote:
>
>>I believe that the 6800LE is actually slower than the 6600GT.
>>
>
> true, but all 68xx series cards have 256bit vram bus, all 66xx have
> 128bit. the 68xx also have more pipelines than the 66xx, if you feel
> lucky [punk] try unlocking the masked pipelines on 6800le converting it to
> gt spec, i believe.
>

The 6800LE does have a 256 bit memory interface but the 6600GT's clock
speeds almost completely compensate for it. But as you say, there is a
chance you can mod the 6800LE to superior performance levels.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 3:14:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:25:46 GMT, LymanAlpha <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:

snippy snip

>>
>I was replying to ian

indeed you were, my error.

dr ratt
------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 3:20:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:36:43 GMT, "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com>
wrote:

snippy snip

>skips occasionally when there are alot of explosions going on. I have 512mb
>ram . I wonder if another stick will reduce the hard drive thrashing.
>

most definitely, when i went from 512 to 1024 on my nf2 board, hl2
upped texture quality from med to high [recommended settings] and lost
all the niggles such as odd glitching when reading from hdd. also the
video stress test rendered the stained glass windows again instead of
spinning red errors.

dr ratt

------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 5:34:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Probably.... It will make a difference.....

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:36:43 GMT, "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com>
wrote:

I have 512mb ram . I wonder if another stick will reduce the hard
drive thrashing.
>



Cat Feet / Buttered Toast Theorum

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet.
When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with
the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered
toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped,
the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning
just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to
resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific
certainties.
This in itself might be fun to watch but there is
a serious point to be made here... What if giant
arrangements of buttered toast cats were linked
(probably by their tails) to banks of generators?
Perhaps enough electricity could be produced to
help resolve the growing world energy crisis.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 5:34:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Gordon wrote:
> True SLI makes sense if you want today's ultimate gaming rig, powering two
> flagship cards, right from the start - otherwise it's a rather poor value.
> No matter how much power you buy into now, future slot revisions, and future
> developments of DirectX, are going to kill off today's most powerful cards
> like any other card. Dual cards also buck the trend of miniaturization as
> the next generation of GPUs are probably going to offer today's SLI power in
> a single card anyway.
>
> I think NVidia revived dual-card setups because there's simply a market for
> it, but no game developer in their right mind would ever *require* it since
> such a small percentage of customers even have it. I suggest a good
> midrange card like the 6600GT. When it starts feeling its age buy another
> mid-range. In spite of the fact that you'll have to replace it sooner you'll
> still save a lot of money while enjoying features not even found on today's
> uber-cards.

I second this advice. Until dual GPUs becomes the norm, few developers
are going to take advantage of it. As a comparison, how many 64 bit
games are there to take advantage of the AMD chips?

Better off buying a good midrange card now that will last you for
several years. You can then review the situation again. Personally, I
would never spend hundreds of pounds on top end cards because they are
superseded and lose value so quickly. Much better investment to wait
until the price deceleration levels out at the mid range.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 10:21:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Civilian_Target wrote:
>
> Yep - no question about that. Take for example - a GeForce 4 4200 was
> half the price of a GeForce 4 4600

Ahh yes the 4600 :-)
Did you know that the 4600 is performing way better in Starwars
Galaxies than a 9600 Pro?
The 4600 is an excellent card for a lowbudget rig imho

rgds
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 5:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Chadwick wrote:
> Better off buying a good midrange card now that will last you for
> several years. You can then review the situation again. Personally, I
> would never spend hundreds of pounds on top end cards because they are
> superseded and lose value so quickly. Much better investment to wait
> until the price deceleration levels out at the mid range.

Yep - no question about that. Take for example - a GeForce 4 4200 was
half the price of a GeForce 4 4600 - but they both went obselete at the
same time.

Civilian_Target
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 3:56:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote in message
news:lJCdnaUCb4rDWDnfRVn-tw@comcast.com
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Vj3pe.27298$j51.17018@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
>>
>> A GF6800LE isn't really an upgrade :(  It's a pretty crippled up 6800
>> vanilla. BUT you can get 2 6600GT's for a bit less than what I paid
>> for one 6800GT!
>> .
>
> According to the latest NewEgg pricing the difference is negligible
> (two 6600GTs vs one 6800GT), plus you don't have to pay for the SLI
> mobo. Also, a 6800GT's power benefits all games, not just games that
> support SLI.

Well, even more reasons to be happy with my 6800 GT then :) 
McG.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 3:59:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:3glil4Fd0qk7U1@individual.net
> Chadwick wrote:
>> Better off buying a good midrange card now that will last you for
>> several years. You can then review the situation again. Personally, I
>> would never spend hundreds of pounds on top end cards because they
>> are superseded and lose value so quickly. Much better investment to
>> wait until the price deceleration levels out at the mid range.
>
> Yep - no question about that. Take for example - a GeForce 4 4200 was
> half the price of a GeForce 4 4600 - but they both went obselete at
> the same time.
>
> Civilian_Target

And the Ti4600 fairly ran rings around the Ti4200, even overclocked.
McG.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 4:00:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1118150478.043013.226460@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> Civilian_Target wrote:
>>
>> Yep - no question about that. Take for example - a GeForce 4 4200 was
>> half the price of a GeForce 4 4600
>
> Ahh yes the 4600 :-)
> Did you know that the 4600 is performing way better in Starwars
> Galaxies than a 9600 Pro?
> The 4600 is an excellent card for a lowbudget rig imho
>
> rgds

Running one on a Slot1 P3-800 BX440 rig in theliving room right now
Peter. :) 
McG.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 9:25:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I will have you know that my "obsolete" Ti4200 cranks out HL2 at 60 fps
with most graphic settings on high.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 9:27:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

At 1024 x 768.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2005 7:43:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Really? Because my obselete 4200Ti cranks out HL2 at 60FPS with most
settings on medium or low. I can't remember whether thats at 1024x768 or
800x600.

They're obselete cards though in that you wouldn't buy them any more.

Civilian_Target

Gil wrote:
> I will have you know that my "obsolete" Ti4200 cranks out HL2 at 60 fps
> with most graphic settings on high.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2005 1:52:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Gil" <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1118233632.326456.65920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
> At 1024 x 768.

At 1280x1024 - - - Ti 4600 that is :) 
!