VIDEO: Skyrim PC Hacked to Work With Microsoft Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Awesome, always looking for some new ways to game to keep it fresh and interesting. The recognition technology needs to get better though.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Interesting stuff but nothing more than a mere proof of concept. As theconsolegamer mentioned, standing there waving around there like a jacked up moron isn't how I want to experience a game. The only way I can see a true full body experience working within a game is when we can hookup electrodes to our brain or put on a helmet and play the game in a virtual reality environment without the need to stand in front of the TV and smash everything around us because we're jumping up and down like lunatics to move the character forward.

I've tried Kinect and I can't see anything fun with it except for the occasional family/drunken party Guitar Hero-kind-of game session. For games like Skyrim and alikes this would never work in the long run.

lol Im waaay too lazy to ever get into this... I like the idea of just cherry picking that one feature of voice-activated commands. That thought immediately brings me back to the horrid experience I had trying to make use of Windows 7 voice commands. You can only say "start listening" so many times before the microphone and its wire are hanging from the power lines outside.

I would much rather see what could be done with 2 PS Move controllers. Assign buttons on one for your forward, back, strafe left and strafe right, and assign interface buttons on the other. There would be less lag, more natural movement for the player, and less worrying the neighbors by repeatedly shouting things like 'shield' 'sward' 'fire' and other things that will make them think you are about to massacre the whole building.
I am all for motion control... just let me have the option to sit down, and not have to talk.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Now do that for the next 200 hours of game play, guy would be ripped :)

"Where do you work out?" ...

"In Skyrim, it's only for the Dragon Born though"

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Thats nice but hows about getting SkyRims numerous PC bugs patched, listing Bethesda. Abruptly quitting/crashing to the desktop sucks as do the shaders going haywire after a while forcing a game restart to fix. I knew I should have waited longer to buy it.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]Thats nice but hows about getting SkyRims numerous PC bugs patched, listing Bethesda. Abruptly quitting/crashing to the desktop sucks as do the shaders going haywire after a while forcing a game restart to fix. I knew I should have waited longer to buy it.[/citation]

The problem is that the game only utilizes 2GB of RAM by default. Download a large address aware mod, like 4GB Skyrim.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]The problem is that the game only utilizes 2GB of RAM by default. Download a large address aware mod, like 4GB Skyrim.http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013[/citation]

I don't think the bugs/crashes have anything to do with this, do they?

I've been having issues myself with random crashes to the desktop. Also, I get this weird flickering effect ... every time it flickers to a white screen for only a split second I hear the water sound effect like I'm in the water or something. Pretty strange. I hope they fix all the bugs soon.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I don't think the bugs/crashes have anything to do with this, do they? I've been having issues myself with random crashes to the desktop. Also, I get this weird flickering effect ... every time it flickers to a white screen for only a split second I hear the water sound effect like I'm in the water or something. Pretty strange. I hope they fix all the bugs soon.[/citation]

It has a LOT to do with crash to desktop issues, and loss of texture problems, like the person I quoted described... so yes, I think my proposed fix would work for him.

As for your issue... well, we should be discussing this sort of thing in the forums. Most of the Skyrim issues are fixable. I had many problems myself, but got the vast majority of it sorted out the night I bought the game, by just doing some searching around for about a half hour.

Updating video drivers, applying the 4GB mod I linked, and changing your sound audio quality to 41K, resolves the vast majority of Skyrim technical issues. And then it's just little things, like NPCs clipping through walls and crap, which isn't as game breaking. The comments section isn't the best place for talking about specific fixes though.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
equipping new weapons is frustrating for me, because right hand usually locks to one weapon and than its a pain in the ... to fix it. i can see voice commands being a very good tool, in the way of not pausing the game.

but the video shows why kinect has better applications outside of game than inside.

i would love to see move, that could be a bit interesting, but a full mod of combat would be unnecessary, but in my eyes could be the best mod ever if done right. need to unlock character movement, and have free motion of the sword and bow, swing as many times as you can, get rid of stamania as its tied to if you can do a full swing. weapon parrys, and probably a slow time down option for fighting bow users, like 1 second long, and you move your sword to parry it.

but than again i have high hopes for motion games, and it will never happen, because motion games are content with family orientated game play,

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]RazorBurn[/nom]Im Fat.. And I really need that..[/citation]

That's a hillarious statement and I'm there too.... we would need kinect to measure our feet in motion... how fast or slow paced we run on a spot... then we'll really loose weight quick... Imagine if you dedicated as much time to working out as playing the game... as time passes as you level your character, you'll probably feel like you've levelled too...

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]The problem is that the game only utilizes 2GB of RAM by default. Download a large address aware mod, like 4GB Skyrim.http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013[/citation]
Thanks, just downloaded it and will give it try, many of the comments at the Nexus say it stopped their crashes.

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Should have known better, it broke my game.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]Should have known better, it broke my game.[/citation]

If it broke anything (highly unlikely), all you'd have to do is verify the cache integrity in Steam. However, it's much more likely you're screwing something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.