.Avi and codec help?

I'm having some trouble with some videos I've uploaded from a didgital camera
of mine. They are .avi files but when I try and bring them into Windows Movie
Maker there sais there is an error with codecs or something like that. I've
tryed downloading different random codecs to maybe get the right one, but I
dont really know how they are used. I'm pretty sure the one I need is called
"Motion JPEG including Huffman Tables" or something like that. They used to
work fine, but recently I had my computer reformated and I think something
has gone missing. Thanks!

DtM

Anytime I have a codec issue I install Tsunami mini pak, works great,
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Tsunami_Codec_Filter_Pack_Mini.htm

good luck

"SilentL" wrote:

> I'm having some trouble with some videos I've uploaded from a didgital camera
> of mine. They are .avi files but when I try and bring them into Windows Movie
> Maker there sais there is an error with codecs or something like that. I've
> tryed downloading different random codecs to maybe get the right one, but I
> dont really know how they are used. I'm pretty sure the one I need is called
> "Motion JPEG including Huffman Tables" or something like that. They used to
> work fine, but recently I had my computer reformated and I think something
> has gone missing. Thanks!

Yeahhh, i downloaded that, am I supposed to do anyhting after I install it?

maybe I jsut dont know how to use a codec..or is there anyhting to use and
they just do the work for you? I'm so cofused about my whole situation

"DTM" wrote:

> Anytime I have a codec issue I install Tsunami mini pak, works great,
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Tsunami_Codec_Filter_Pack_Mini.htm
>
> good luck
>
> "SilentL" wrote:
>
> > I'm having some trouble with some videos I've uploaded from a didgital camera
> > of mine. They are .avi files but when I try and bring them into Windows Movie
> > Maker there sais there is an error with codecs or something like that. I've
> > tryed downloading different random codecs to maybe get the right one, but I
> > dont really know how they are used. I'm pretty sure the one I need is called
> > "Motion JPEG including Huffman Tables" or something like that. They used to
> > work fine, but recently I had my computer reformated and I think something
> > has gone missing. Thanks!

AVI is also used for DivX, so that could be the issue. After loading the
pack, did you still have issues (other response, this thread)? You might be
able to convert the AVI (DivX) to DV-AVI format using VirtualDub (I have not
tried that). Go to Videohelp.com for links and pointers.