AC3 and DTS on DVDShrink

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Is AC3 the standard audio?

If I have a large DVD, can I remove the DTS, and retain the AC3 to reduce
compression?

Which format is better?

Do modern DVD Players support DTS and AC3?

Thanks to all

BigJim

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

you can delete dts
as far as player, to run dts your player and amp have to be compatible

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Is AC3 the standard audio?
>
> If I have a large DVD, can I remove the DTS, and retain the AC3 to reduce
> compression?
>
> Which format is better?
>
> Do modern DVD Players support DTS and AC3?
>
> Thanks to all

rs

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

DTS has nothing to do with your DVD player. It depends on whether the
amplifier that processes your sound supports it or not.

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Is AC3 the standard audio?

Yes, though it's more often called Dolby digital these days.

> If I have a large DVD, can I remove the DTS, and retain the AC3 to reduce
compression?

Absolutely. I do exactly that most of the time. Not only can you remove the
DTS track, but when there's more than one Dolby digital track, you can
choose the one you want and delete the others.

> Which format is better?

DTS is generally accepted as the better format. Whether you can hear the
difference, and whether your equipment is capable of showing off the
difference is another matter entirely.

> Do modern DVD Players support DTS and AC3?

All modern players pass both formats through to your amplifier via a digital
connection. This pass-through mode requires your amp be able to decode the
signal correctly.

All DVD players will output two channel Dolby digital, whether by simply
playing a two channel soundtrack or 'reducing' a 5.1 soundtrack to 2 channel
on the fly. Some DVD players have a built in Dolby digital 5.1 decoder, but
even these require that your amp have six separate inputs...one for each
channel.

I've never seen a DVD player with an integrated DTS decoders. Only higher
end players would have them but once you get that high, your receiver will
have the decoding anyway. It seems kind of pointness.

Rick.
-+---
rpali@alienshore.com
http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/