How important is WEP?

Im wondering how important it is to use WEP? When I try to set up my router
with WEP 128 encryption I cannot connect to the internet but I have excellent
signal strength.When I resetup the router with 'disabled' I can connect to
the internet.Should I try using another setting?
Does the firewall on the router along with my 3rd party firewall
provide enough security?
Thankyou for answering,Deanoid

Tee

"Deanoid" <Deanoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im wondering how important it is to use WEP? When I try to set up my
router
> with WEP 128 encryption I cannot connect to the internet but I have
excellent
> signal strength.When I resetup the router with 'disabled' I can connect to
> the internet.Should I try using another setting?
> Does the firewall on the router along with my 3rd party firewall
> provide enough security?

Did you go into the properties of your connection, enable WEP and enter the
key? Personally I don't find a huge need for WEP in a home user
environment. I think the double firewall is pretty good protection,
obviously not as great as WEP enabled, but better than average.

--
Tara

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:04:54 -0400, Tee posted:

>Personally I don't find a huge need for WEP in a home user environment.
>I think the double firewall is pretty good protection, obviously not
>as great as WEP enabled, but better than average.

Just ignore the car parked in front of your house with the license
plate of "SPAMMER". :)

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.
This page lists the basic security measures.
You can set your system with the simple ones and leave WEP/WPA Off for few
days.
If No Body logs On leave it Off and check every few days the status of the
system..
Otherwise switch On WPA.
In order to find out of a "Rouge" computer logged On you can look at the
DHCP server in your Cable/DSL Router (Access Point), see if there is
additional unknown IP numbers dished out.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Deanoid" <Deanoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im wondering how important it is to use WEP? When I try to set up my
router
> with WEP 128 encryption I cannot connect to the internet but I have
excellent
> signal strength.When I resetup the router with 'disabled' I can connect to
> the internet.Should I try using another setting?
> Does the firewall on the router along with my 3rd party firewall
> provide enough security?
> Thankyou for answering,Deanoid

Thanks to all for your advice and will try. Deanoid

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham.nospam@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> I think you are confused about the firewall. Wireless is just like having
> someone walk into your house and plug into your LAN. Your main firewall
in
> the router only protects you from computers on the internet trying to get
> into your network. Now, if you have a personal firewall on each one of
your
> machines, then having WEP to protect by authenticating and encrypting may
> not be important. The difference then is do you allow your neighbors and
> others outside your house free access to your internet connection.

The OP said he has two firewalls, one on the router & a 3rd party program,
which I assumed to be on his personal computer. IMO that's ok. As I said,
its not as good as enabling WEP but its better than alot of people do.

--
Tara

Tee

"Jafo" <a@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:04:54 -0400, Tee posted:
>
> >Personally I don't find a huge need for WEP in a home user environment.
> >I think the double firewall is pretty good protection, obviously not
> >as great as WEP enabled, but better than average.
>
> Just ignore the car parked in front of your house with the license
> plate of "SPAMMER". :)

Not a problem since my signal *barely* reaches my front porch, as in right
in the area the door swings, and I'm happy with that. Someone, a spammer or
anyone else, would have to be plastered to my front door or inside my home
to get my signal. My backyard is privacy fenced but I've also taken both my
laptops out there to try them. Neighbor on one side cannot see my router
signal. No neighbor on other side. Please don't assume everyone is a total
idiot.

--
Tara

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street and
down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it this
way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and ALL
shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or WPA-PSK.
Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless security.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:08:52 -0500, "TW" <twilcken@msn.com> wrote:

>I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street and
>down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it this
>way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and ALL
>shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or WPA-PSK.
>Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless security.

That depends on what access restrictions you've put on your shares.
There is not a single share on my computer with anyone access. Most
are restricted to two usernames only and some are restricted to just
one.

I think if you just turn on mac address filtering you should be pretty safe.
Someone would have to figure out you MAC address to get in your wireless
nework. So for a normal home user, that is good enough for me.

"Simon Pleasants" wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:08:52 -0500, "TW" <twilcken@msn.com> wrote:
>
> >I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street and
> >down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it this
> >way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and ALL
> >shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or WPA-PSK.
> >Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless security.
>
> That depends on what access restrictions you've put on your shares.
> There is not a single share on my computer with anyone access. Most
> are restricted to two usernames only and some are restricted to just
> one.

additionally interesting http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=9
Arkady

"knight" <knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I think if you just turn on mac address filtering you should be pretty
safe.
> Someone would have to figure out you MAC address to get in your wireless
> nework. So for a normal home user, that is good enough for me.
>
> "Simon Pleasants" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:08:52 -0500, "TW" <twilcken@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street
and
> > >down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it
this
> > >way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and
ALL
> > >shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or
WPA-PSK.
> > >Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless
security.

> > That depends on what access restrictions you've put on your shares.
> > There is not a single share on my computer with anyone access. Most
> > are restricted to two usernames only and some are restricted to just
> > one.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

It depends on what you are trying to protect, and your specific environment.
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"knight" <knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I think if you just turn on mac address filtering you should be pretty
safe.
> Someone would have to figure out you MAC address to get in your wireless
> nework. So for a normal home user, that is good enough for me.
>
> "Simon Pleasants" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:08:52 -0500, "TW" <twilcken@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street
and
> > >down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it
this
> > >way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and
ALL
> > >shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or
WPA-PSK.
> > >Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless
security.

> > That depends on what access restrictions you've put on your shares.
> > There is not a single share on my computer with anyone access. Most
> > are restricted to two usernames only and some are restricted to just
> > one.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003