Pinnacle Studio takes up a COM port!

Hi,
I installed Pinnacle studio 8.0 (+8.12 upgrade)on my PC. I already had
NetoDragon Modem installed which worked perfectly okay. Ater Pinnnacle
studio was installed My modem wasn't able to connect. After trying to
run modem properties/Diagnostic/more info the error message "Port
already open" was displayed. Obviously pinnacle is using the port used
by Modem. I uninstalled Pinnacle Studio but modem still displayed same
error. Tried rebooting that didn't help. Had to ReInstall Complete
operating system (WinME) to get the Modem working again. But
installing Pinnacle Studio still kills the Modem.

Does anyone know a workaround to this problem?
Any help will be appreciated
Cheers
Nitin

On 3 Apr 2004 10:45:05 -0800, NitinDon@yahoo.com (Nitin) wrote:

>Hi,
>I installed Pinnacle studio 8.0 (+8.12 upgrade)on my PC. I already had
>NetoDragon Modem installed which worked perfectly okay. Ater Pinnnacle
>studio was installed My modem wasn't able to connect. After trying to
>run modem properties/Diagnostic/more info the error message "Port
>already open" was displayed. Obviously pinnacle is using the port used
>by Modem. I uninstalled Pinnacle Studio but modem still displayed same
>error. Tried rebooting that didn't help. Had to ReInstall Complete
>operating system (WinME) to get the Modem working again. But
>installing Pinnacle Studio still kills the Modem.
>
>Does anyone know a workaround to this problem?
>Any help will be appreciated
>Cheers
>Nitin

did you install pctv software , which uses a rs232 connector with ir
receiver to accept commands from a remote control unit.

Gary MacKenzie <sepulcre@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<6r4u605m7v57nnb0q4h11hbdbqsd9sg2ac@4ax.com>...
> On 3 Apr 2004 10:45:05 -0800, NitinDon@yahoo.com (Nitin) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I installed Pinnacle studio 8.0 (+8.12 upgrade)on my PC. I already had
> >NetoDragon Modem installed which worked perfectly okay. Ater Pinnnacle
> >studio was installed My modem wasn't able to connect. After trying to
> >run modem properties/Diagnostic/more info the error message "Port
> >already open" was displayed. Obviously pinnacle is using the port used
> >by Modem. I uninstalled Pinnacle Studio but modem still displayed same
> >error. Tried rebooting that didn't help. Had to ReInstall Complete
> >operating system (WinME) to get the Modem working again. But
> >installing Pinnacle Studio still kills the Modem.
> >
> >Does anyone know a workaround to this problem?
> >Any help will be appreciated
> >Cheers
> >Nitin
>

> did you install pctv software , which uses a rs232 connector with ir
> receiver to accept commands from a remote control unit.

I have installed TV tuner PCI card on my PC but the software for this
called 'PCTV tuner with teletext' is not yet installed. (This TV tuner
card has nothing to do with rs232 serial com port) I am not sure
whether you are talking about this PCTV tuner OR some component of
Pinnacle studio called PCTV?
Could you please elaborate.
Thanks
Nitin

On 4 Apr 2004 00:23:03 -0800, NitinDon@yahoo.com (Nitin) wrote:

>Gary MacKenzie <sepulcre@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<6r4u605m7v57nnb0q4h11hbdbqsd9sg2ac@4ax.com>...
>> On 3 Apr 2004 10:45:05 -0800, NitinDon@yahoo.com (Nitin) wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >I installed Pinnacle studio 8.0 (+8.12 upgrade)on my PC. I already had
>> >NetoDragon Modem installed which worked perfectly okay. Ater Pinnnacle
>> >studio was installed My modem wasn't able to connect. After trying to
>> >run modem properties/Diagnostic/more info the error message "Port
>> >already open" was displayed. Obviously pinnacle is using the port used
>> >by Modem. I uninstalled Pinnacle Studio but modem still displayed same
>> >error. Tried rebooting that didn't help. Had to ReInstall Complete
>> >operating system (WinME) to get the Modem working again. But
>> >installing Pinnacle Studio still kills the Modem.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know a workaround to this problem?
>> >Any help will be appreciated
>> >Cheers
>> >Nitin
>>

>> did you install pctv software , which uses a rs232 connector with ir
>> receiver to accept commands from a remote control unit.
>
>I have installed TV tuner PCI card on my PC but the software for this
>called 'PCTV tuner with teletext' is not yet installed. (This TV tuner
>card has nothing to do with rs232 serial com port) I am not sure
>whether you are talking about this PCTV tuner OR some component of
>Pinnacle studio called PCTV?
>Could you please elaborate.
>Thanks
>Nitin

on the pctv disk is software to allow the use of a remote control
which talks to a ir receiver which you plug into a rs232 port.
it also installs driver files.

check to see if the remote control software has been installed , and
which com port it thinks it's using.

Gary MacKenzie <sepulcre@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<0g2070p8u9a90ks7nd5drctsa1dosnqb1f@4ax.com>...
> On 4 Apr 2004 00:23:03 -0800, NitinDon@yahoo.com (Nitin) wrote:
>
> >Gary MacKenzie <sepulcre@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<6r4u605m7v57nnb0q4h11hbdbqsd9sg2ac@4ax.com>...

> >> did you install pctv software , which uses a rs232 connector with ir
> >> receiver to accept commands from a remote control unit.
> >
> >I have installed TV tuner PCI card on my PC but the software for this
> >called 'PCTV tuner with teletext' is not yet installed. (This TV tuner
> >card has nothing to do with rs232 serial com port) I am not sure
> >whether you are talking about this PCTV tuner OR some component of
> >Pinnacle studio called PCTV?
> >Could you please elaborate.
> >Thanks
> >Nitin
>

> on the pctv disk is software to allow the use of a remote control
> which talks to a ir receiver which you plug into a rs232 port.
> it also installs driver files.
>
> check to see if the remote control software has been installed , and
> which com port it thinks it's using.

Hi Gary,
I don't have PCTV hardware and software. (the one which I have is for
a tv tuner card). I saw Pinnacles PCTV in a store but I haven't got
that. I have pinnacle studio video editing software which came with a
firewire pci card.
Obviously PCTV you are talking about is not bothering me
Thanks anyway
Nitin

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

> Does anyone know a workaround to this problem?

I think Studio 8 uses the modem to transmit your personal information
to www.igotrippedoffbypinnacle.com

Seriously, get rid of it. I will bet you money this is not your last
problem with this "software".

I'm sorry if I sound nasty, but that's as constructive as I can put
it.