problem with video capturing with WMM2

I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector. The
problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture video
from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2 is
missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?

please help. thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about problem video capturing wmm2

    Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it just
    doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
    The
    > problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
    video
    > from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
    is
    > missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
    >
    > please help. thanks.

    I do have a ieee1394 input on pc but don't have i-link output on DV cam. What
    should I do? or I may miss something?

    I appreciate your reply.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it just
    > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
    > The
    > > problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
    > video
    > > from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
    > is
    > > missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
    > >
    > > please help. thanks.

    I found a DV port on cam. I guess it is for firewire.

    "astoid" wrote:

    > I do have a ieee1394 input on pc but don't have i-link output on DV cam. What
    > should I do? or I may miss something?
    >
    > I appreciate your reply.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it just
    > > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
    > > The
    > > > problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
    > > video
    > > > from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
    > > is
    > > > missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
    > > >
    > > > please help. thanks.

    If your camera comes with a USB wire, how do you know what kind of firewire
    to buy? Are there types specific to each camera or is it a
    one-size-fits-all?

    Lois

    "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it
    > just
    > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
    > The
    >> problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
    > video
    >> from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
    > is
    >> missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
    >>
    >> please help. thanks.

    All cameras have a 4 pin firewire port, laptops nearly always have 4 pin
    ports and most pc's and any pci cards you buy will have 6 pin ports. You buy
    the cable to suit, 4-4 pin or 4-6 pin.

    See here for pictures.
    http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=firewire&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
    > If your camera comes with a USB wire, how do you know what kind of
    firewire
    > to buy? Are there types specific to each camera or is it a
    > one-size-fits-all?
    >
    > Lois
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it
    > > just
    > > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB
    connector.
    > > The
    > >> problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
    > > video
    > >> from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded
    WMM2
    > > is
    > >> missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
    > >>
    > >> please help. thanks.

    That's right. Good luck.

    Graham

    --

    > I found a DV port on cam. I guess it is for firewire.

    -----------

    > "astoid" wrote:
    >
    > > I do have a ieee1394 input on pc but don't have i-link output on DV cam.
    What
    > > should I do? or I may miss something?
    > >
    > > I appreciate your reply.
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see
    it just
    > > > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP Digital Media
    > > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > > www.simplydv.com
    > > >

    > > > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > The
    > > > video
    WMM2
    > > > is

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    make up your mind, are you talking about firewire or USB? they are not
    the same

    Lois G. wrote:
    > If your camera comes with a USB wire, how do you know what kind of firewire
    > to buy? Are there types specific to each camera or is it a
    > one-size-fits-all?
    >
    > Lois
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it
    >>just
    >>doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
    >>
    >>--
    >>Graham Hughes
    >>MVP Digital Media
    >>www.dvds2treasure.com
    >>www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >>"astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
    >>
    >>The
    >>
    >>>problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
    >>
    >>video
    >>
    >>>from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
    >>
    >>is
    >>
    >>>missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
    >>>
    >>>please help. thanks.

Video Windows Movie Maker Microsoft USB Connector Panasonic Windows XP