problem with video capturing with WMM2

I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector. The
problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture video
from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2 is
missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?

please help. thanks.

Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it just
doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
The
> problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
video
> from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
is
> missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
>
> please help. thanks.

I do have a ieee1394 input on pc but don't have i-link output on DV cam. What
should I do? or I may miss something?

I appreciate your reply.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it just
> doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
> The
> > problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
> video
> > from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
> is
> > missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
> >
> > please help. thanks.

I found a DV port on cam. I guess it is for firewire.

"astoid" wrote:

> I do have a ieee1394 input on pc but don't have i-link output on DV cam. What
> should I do? or I may miss something?
>
> I appreciate your reply.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it just
> > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
> > The
> > > problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
> > video
> > > from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
> > is
> > > missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
> > >
> > > please help. thanks.

If your camera comes with a USB wire, how do you know what kind of firewire
to buy? Are there types specific to each camera or is it a
one-size-fits-all?

Lois

"Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it
> just
> doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB connector.
> The
>> problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
> video
>> from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded WMM2
> is
>> missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
>>
>> please help. thanks.

All cameras have a 4 pin firewire port, laptops nearly always have 4 pin
ports and most pc's and any pci cards you buy will have 6 pin ports. You buy
the cable to suit, 4-4 pin or 4-6 pin.

See here for pictures.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=firewire&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> If your camera comes with a USB wire, how do you know what kind of
firewire
> to buy? Are there types specific to each camera or is it a
> one-size-fits-all?
>
> Lois
>
> "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see it
> > just
> > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a Panasonic NV-GS200 and I connected my DV to pc by USB
connector.
> > The
> >> problem is when I follow the wizard in Windows movie maker 2 to capture
> > video
> >> from a tape in DV . I only see the blank. I also found my downloaded
WMM2
> > is
> >> missing "capturing method" page. does it matter?
> >>
> >> please help. thanks.

That's right. Good luck.

Graham

--

> I found a DV port on cam. I guess it is for firewire.

-----------

> "astoid" wrote:
>
> > I do have a ieee1394 input on pc but don't have i-link output on DV cam.
What
> > should I do? or I may miss something?
> >
> > I appreciate your reply.
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> > > Nobody knows why cam manufacturers suggest using USB, as you can see
it just
> > > doesn't work. Use firewire (ieee1394 / i-link)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > www.simplydv.com
> > >

> > > "astoid" <astoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The
> > > video
WMM2
> > > is

DarkKnight

make up your mind, are you talking about firewire or USB? they are not
the same