Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DV (IEEE1394) where is it?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
January 5, 2005 9:21:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I have a dell dimension 2100 and i just got a canon elura 65. im trying to
plug in the DV plug so i can capture some footage...but i cant find the port
in my computer. Does my computer not have one of these? If i dont have one,
is there any way i can get one? thanks

More about : ieee1394

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:38:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

There is no port (IEEE1394 or FireWire) on this computer.
Yes you can get one. You have to purchase a card with this port on it and
install the card in the computer. If this computer is running under Windows
XP installing the card is rather simple and XP will recognize the card "plug
and play" and you can then connect your camcorder, start Movie Maker 2 (part
of XP) and capture the video to your hard drive. Be aware that capturing
video is "memory expensive". One hour of video needs 13 GB of hard drive
space.
The new cards have both IEEE1394 and USB2 ports on them, so you would be
getting USB ports convenience at the same time.
Your computer is old (in the digital world everything is old or senile very
quickly, no offense) so you have to make a decision if you want to invest in
a new card (probably about $75.00 now) to download video.
If you are on XP, I would give it a go, provided that you have at least 256
MB of RAM memory (you may have only 128, if so forget working with video).
You would learn the basics of video capture and editing with Movie Maker 2.
It will be a bit slow, but it will work. If you are not on XP and you have
less than 256 MB of RAM I would say enjoy playing the video to your TV.


"Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CD377863-22CB-4747-AEF3-CFF73C48BD74@microsoft.com...
> I have a dell dimension 2100 and i just got a canon elura 65. im trying to
> plug in the DV plug so i can capture some footage...but i cant find the
port
> in my computer. Does my computer not have one of these? If i dont have
one,
> is there any way i can get one? thanks
January 14, 2005 11:32:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

dear
Yves Alarie rd50@@pitt.edu,
why you answer the same "tip" to anyone wich have problem with IEEE
connection?
if camcoder is not recognized by OS, it's silly to check if MovieMAked
does...
;-)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: IEEE 1394 port problem


> Connect your camera and power it on.
> Start Movie maker (or Ulead). When Movie Maker opens, you will se the item
> "Capture from video device". You just click on it and follow the
> instructions on the screen to control the video camera to capture what you
> want. I don't know about Ulead but I imagine you will get a similar
> "Capture...
>
>
> "aatish" <aatish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3C5261BD-DDBE-4415-843C-5312980ADF1B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I have a Sony PC330 mini DV camcorder and am trying to connect it to
> my
> > laptop running XP pro. But somehow the OS does not find the camera nor
am
> I
> > able to manually add new hardware. I connect the cable and start the
> camera
> > but nothing happens.
> >
> > I have windows movie maker and Ulead movie software also.
> >
> > I have been transferring the still images with the USB cable, but am not
> > able to use the 4/4 pin IEEE 1394 cable to transfer the video content.
Am
> I
> > supposed to do anything special to activate the IEEE port on my laptop?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > aatish
>
>

"Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:o Y9fMm68EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> There is no port (IEEE1394 or FireWire) on this computer.
> Yes you can get one. You have to purchase a card with this port on it and
> install the card in the computer. If this computer is running under
Windows
> XP installing the card is rather simple and XP will recognize the card
"plug
> and play" and you can then connect your camcorder, start Movie Maker 2
(part
> of XP) and capture the video to your hard drive. Be aware that capturing
> video is "memory expensive". One hour of video needs 13 GB of hard drive
> space.
> The new cards have both IEEE1394 and USB2 ports on them, so you would be
> getting USB ports convenience at the same time.
> Your computer is old (in the digital world everything is old or senile
very
> quickly, no offense) so you have to make a decision if you want to invest
in
> a new card (probably about $75.00 now) to download video.
> If you are on XP, I would give it a go, provided that you have at least
256
> MB of RAM memory (you may have only 128, if so forget working with video).
> You would learn the basics of video capture and editing with Movie Maker
2.
> It will be a bit slow, but it will work. If you are not on XP and you have
> less than 256 MB of RAM I would say enjoy playing the video to your TV.
>
>
> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CD377863-22CB-4747-AEF3-CFF73C48BD74@microsoft.com...
> > I have a dell dimension 2100 and i just got a canon elura 65. im trying
to
> > plug in the DV plug so i can capture some footage...but i cant find the
> port
> > in my computer. Does my computer not have one of these? If i dont have
> one,
> > is there any way i can get one? thanks
>
>
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:19:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Because it works.
If it did not work for you all you have to do is answer, "sorry I tried your
suggestion but it did not work, can you help further".
"simone" <simoneNOspam@teleclient.org> wrote in message
news:umOR9sg%23EHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> dear
> Yves Alarie rd50@@pitt.edu,
> why you answer the same "tip" to anyone wich have problem with IEEE
> connection?
> if camcoder is not recognized by OS, it's silly to check if MovieMAked
> does...
> ;-)
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video
> Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 12:13 AM
> Subject: Re: IEEE 1394 port problem
>
>
> > Connect your camera and power it on.
> > Start Movie maker (or Ulead). When Movie Maker opens, you will se the
item
> > "Capture from video device". You just click on it and follow the
> > instructions on the screen to control the video camera to capture what
you
> > want. I don't know about Ulead but I imagine you will get a similar
> > "Capture...
> >
> >
> > "aatish" <aatish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3C5261BD-DDBE-4415-843C-5312980ADF1B@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi, I have a Sony PC330 mini DV camcorder and am trying to connect it
to
> > my
> > > laptop running XP pro. But somehow the OS does not find the camera nor
> am
> > I
> > > able to manually add new hardware. I connect the cable and start the
> > camera
> > > but nothing happens.
> > >
> > > I have windows movie maker and Ulead movie software also.
> > >
> > > I have been transferring the still images with the USB cable, but am
not
> > > able to use the 4/4 pin IEEE 1394 cable to transfer the video content.
> Am
> > I
> > > supposed to do anything special to activate the IEEE port on my
laptop?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > aatish
> >
> >
>
> "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:o Y9fMm68EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > There is no port (IEEE1394 or FireWire) on this computer.
> > Yes you can get one. You have to purchase a card with this port on it
and
> > install the card in the computer. If this computer is running under
> Windows
> > XP installing the card is rather simple and XP will recognize the card
> "plug
> > and play" and you can then connect your camcorder, start Movie Maker 2
> (part
> > of XP) and capture the video to your hard drive. Be aware that capturing
> > video is "memory expensive". One hour of video needs 13 GB of hard drive
> > space.
> > The new cards have both IEEE1394 and USB2 ports on them, so you would be
> > getting USB ports convenience at the same time.
> > Your computer is old (in the digital world everything is old or senile
> very
> > quickly, no offense) so you have to make a decision if you want to
invest
> in
> > a new card (probably about $75.00 now) to download video.
> > If you are on XP, I would give it a go, provided that you have at least
> 256
> > MB of RAM memory (you may have only 128, if so forget working with
video).
> > You would learn the basics of video capture and editing with Movie Maker
> 2.
> > It will be a bit slow, but it will work. If you are not on XP and you
have
> > less than 256 MB of RAM I would say enjoy playing the video to your TV.
> >
> >
> > "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:CD377863-22CB-4747-AEF3-CFF73C48BD74@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a dell dimension 2100 and i just got a canon elura 65. im
trying
> to
> > > plug in the DV plug so i can capture some footage...but i cant find
the
> > port
> > > in my computer. Does my computer not have one of these? If i dont
have
> > one,
> > > is there any way i can get one? thanks
> >
> >
>
>
!