DVD files into FinalCut: How?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Hello,

I'm working on a project and expect to be given a DVD for some source
video material. I expect that I can use something like MactheRipper to
get the DVD files onto my hard disk, but I don't know how to get them
into FinalCut Express. (FCE doesn't recognize the VOB files as
importable.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

In article <fa382483-1A747C.11143104042004@news.skynet.be>, "F. Todd
Wilson" <fa382483@nospam.skynet.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a project and expect to be given a DVD for some source
> video material. I expect that I can use something like MactheRipper to
> get the DVD files onto my hard disk, but I don't know how to get them
> into FinalCut Express. (FCE doesn't recognize the VOB files as
> importable.)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

There's a small MAC utility program called DVDXDV that rips content off a
DVD and transcodes it into plain DV.

I think it's something like $25. A web search should turn it up.

That's what I'd do.

--
Bill Davis
NewVideo

F. Todd Wilson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a project and expect to be given a DVD for some source
> video material. I expect that I can use something like MactheRipper to
> get the DVD files onto my hard disk, but I don't know how to get them
> into FinalCut Express. (FCE doesn't recognize the VOB files as
> importable.)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

Greetings Todd,

A DVD with VOB files is not considered source video. Video that's
already highly compressed of this nature, is only going to massively
loose quality if you try to take it into an editing program to work with it.

Source video should have minimal compression such as DV (5:1) video.

-Richard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

In Article <3Hmcc.12505567$Of.2087779@news.easynews.com>, Richard Ragon
<bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:
>F. Todd Wilson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm working on a project and expect to be given a DVD for some source
>> video material. I expect that I can use something like MactheRipper to
>> get the DVD files onto my hard disk, but I don't know how to get them
>> into FinalCut Express. (FCE doesn't recognize the VOB files as
>> importable.)
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Todd
>
>Greetings Todd,
>
>A DVD with VOB files is not considered source video. Video that's
>already highly compressed of this nature, is only going to massively
>loose quality if you try to take it into an editing program to work with it.
>
>Source video should have minimal compression such as DV (5:1) video.
>
>-Richard

True, however, if you need to do it, you can always stream it in analogoly
through an I/O box. I just did that a few weeks back for a client who
brought in some of his on camera work. It looked a lot better than the VHS
copies he had with him. :)

Regards,
Ty Ford

For equipment reviews and other audio delights,
try http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Bill Davis <newvideo@amug.org> wrote:

> There's a small MAC utility program called DVDXDV that rips content off a
> DVD and transcodes it into plain DV.
>
> I think it's something like $25. A web search should turn it up.
>
> That's what I'd do.

I just tried it. Can't seem to get it to work. It opens the DVD fine,
but when I try to export anything, I just get a 1 second long empty
movie?

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

In article <1gc031b.1essmrh1rhg40iN%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>,
do-not-email@nowhere.com (nobody) wrote:

> Bill Davis <newvideo@amug.org> wrote:
>
> > There's a small MAC utility program called DVDXDV that rips content off a
> > DVD and transcodes it into plain DV.
> >
> > I think it's something like $25. A web search should turn it up.
> >
> > That's what I'd do.
>
> I just tried it. Can't seem to get it to work. It opens the DVD fine,
> but when I try to export anything, I just get a 1 second long empty
> movie?

I originally saw it at the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro Users Group meeting
at the DV Expo. The author was there and he was demoing the ability to rip
files left and right with no problems. I bought a copy but haven't since
had a circumstance where I needed to use it.

He seems like a really nice guy, so why don't you open the "Get Info" file
and drop him a line? I'd bet he'll answer you and let you know what's
going wrong.

--
Bill Davis
NewVideo

Burt Johnson <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

> Bill Davis <newvideo@amug.org> wrote:
>
> > There's a small MAC utility program called DVDXDV that rips content off a
> > DVD and transcodes it into plain DV.
> >
> > I think it's something like $25. A web search should turn it up.
> >
> > That's what I'd do.
>
> I just tried it. Can't seem to get it to work. It opens the DVD fine,
> but when I try to export anything, I just get a 1 second long empty
> movie?

I could use such a utility too. Just seen "Whale Rider" on DVD and they
cut too many scenes out. I'd like to re-edit the movie by adding some of
the cut scenes, possible on a G4?

RL

Richard Ragon wrote:

>> I'm working on a project and expect to be given a DVD for some
>> source video material. I expect that I can use something like
>> MactheRipper to get the DVD files onto my hard disk, but I don't know
>> how to get them into FinalCut Express.

It can be done. A bit fiddly and time-consuming, but it works:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg722g/dvdriptutorial/

More information:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download3.html

Good luck,