sizing jpg for vegas

what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop) before i
use them as a Vegas event ?
11 answers Last reply
More about sizing vegas

    strand wrote:
    > what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop)
    > before i use them as a Vegas event ?

    Why jpeg? Vegas can read native PS file (psd), as well as tiff ans tga's,
    which all support alpha channel (jpg doesn't). Jpeg is a very poor format
    choice.
    As to your question, it depends if you're working in PAL or NTSC.
    --
    www.odysea.ca

    strand <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop)
    > before i use them as a Vegas event ?

    If you're creating original images, the proper size is 655 X 480 (NTSC) or
    787 X 576 (PAL) - unless you want to do a pan & scan.
    Otherwise just drag & drop images to the timeline. Vegas automatically
    compensates for all sizes. Just make sure "simulate device aspect ratio" is
    selected in the preview window.

    Mike

    NTSC.
    I thought that all layers and channels had to be flattened - so there's no
    real benefit to the image being PSD or TIF ?

    --
    xx
    "Deco_time" <coral_city2000@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > strand wrote:
    > > what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop)
    > > before i use them as a Vegas event ?
    >
    > Why jpeg? Vegas can read native PS file (psd), as well as tiff ans tga's,
    > which all support alpha channel (jpg doesn't). Jpeg is a very poor format
    > choice.
    > As to your question, it depends if you're working in PAL or NTSC.
    > --
    > www.odysea.ca

    > > what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop)
    > > before i use them as a Vegas event ?
    >

    > If you're creating original images, the proper size is 655 X 480 (NTSC) or
    > 787 X 576 (PAL) - unless you want to do a pan & scan.
    > Otherwise just drag & drop images to the timeline. Vegas automatically
    > compensates for all sizes. Just make sure "simulate device aspect ratio"
    is
    > selected in the preview window.
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks for these dimensions.
    With existing images that are large MB (for print size), are you saying
    it'll automatically reduce/scale them to size and there's no need for me to
    do it ?

    Mike Kujbida wrote:
    > If you're creating original images, the proper size is 655 X 480
    > (NTSC) or 787 X 576 (PAL)

    I use 720 X 534 for NTSC (I don't work with PAL). I guess as long as the
    proper aspect ratio is maintained, it's ok, but I like the idea of more
    pixels in my image :).

    --
    www.odysea.ca

    strand wrote:
    > NTSC.
    > I thought that all layers and channels had to be flattened - so
    > there's no real benefit to the image being PSD or TIF ?

    Yes there is. First, jpeg use a lossy compression scheme, degrading the
    image quality with every save, and no, you don't have to flatten the image
    in PS before importing, Vegas will read all the layers that are "turned on"
    (visible).
    Then, jpeg doesn't support alpha channel, which means that there could never
    be any transparent area in your image; eg: you add text to a photo, define
    the text as an alpha channel, load the alpha channel in Vegas so you can
    have an underlying video track show trough the text "cutout" in the photo.
    You might have no need for this now, but why cut your options early on with
    a degraded low quality format?
    --
    www.odysea.ca

    > > NTSC.
    > > I thought that all layers and channels had to be flattened - so
    > > there's no real benefit to the image being PSD or TIF ?
    > >

    > Yes there is. First, jpeg use a lossy compression scheme, degrading the
    > image quality with every save, and no, you don't have to flatten the image
    > in PS before importing, Vegas will read all the layers that are "turned
    on"
    > (visible).
    > Then, jpeg doesn't support alpha channel, which means that there could
    never
    > be any transparent area in your image; eg: you add text to a photo, define
    > the text as an alpha channel, load the alpha channel in Vegas so you can
    > have an underlying video track show trough the text "cutout" in the photo.
    > You might have no need for this now, but why cut your options early on
    with
    > a degraded low quality format?
    > --

    Thanks. Good to know.

    strand <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop)
    >>> before i use them as a Vegas event ?
    >>

    >> If you're creating original images, the proper size is 655 X 480
    >> (NTSC) or 787 X 576 (PAL) - unless you want to do a pan & scan.
    >> Otherwise just drag & drop images to the timeline. Vegas
    >> automatically compensates for all sizes. Just make sure "simulate
    >> device aspect ratio" is selected in the preview window.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > Thanks for these dimensions.
    > With existing images that are large MB (for print size), are you
    > saying it'll automatically reduce/scale them to size and there's no
    > need for me to do it ?

    That's correct. Vegas does it for you. As I said, if you want to use the
    pan & scan feature (panning a large group of people or zooming in/out on a
    picture, for example), then a higher resolution allows you to do this.
    Examples of this technique are at
    http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm
    specifically tutorials 4, 14 & 15.
    BTW, this is covered in chapter 11 of the Vegas manual.

    Mike

    Deco_time <coral_city2000@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote:
    > Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >> If you're creating original images, the proper size is 655 X 480
    >> (NTSC) or 787 X 576 (PAL)
    >
    > I use 720 X 534 for NTSC (I don't work with PAL). I guess as long as
    > the proper aspect ratio is maintained, it's ok, but I like the idea
    > of more pixels in my image :).

    I'm the same way. My digital camera is set to 1024 X 768 and I leave them
    at then when I bring them in. OTOH, when i have to scan really small images
    (1" X 1"), I bump the scanner up to 600 dpi or higher just to get the 720
    size.

    Mike

    strand <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > NTSC.
    > I thought that all layers and channels had to be flattened - so
    > there's no real benefit to the image being PSD or TIF ?

    Depends. If you want alpha channel capability, stick to PNG or PSD.

    Mike

    >> strand wrote:
    >>> what pixel dimensions should i pre-size jpeg images (in photoshop)
    >>> before i use them as a Vegas event ?
    >>
    >> Why jpeg? Vegas can read native PS file (psd), as well as tiff ans
    >> tga's, which all support alpha channel (jpg doesn't). Jpeg is a very
    >> poor format choice.
    >> As to your question, it depends if you're working in PAL or NTSC.
    >> --
    >> www.odysea.ca

    Thanks for this !

    --
    xx
    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > >> If you're creating original images, the proper size is 655 X 480
    > >> (NTSC) or 787 X 576 (PAL) - unless you want to do a pan & scan.
    > >> Otherwise just drag & drop images to the timeline. Vegas
    > >> automatically compensates for all sizes. Just make sure "simulate
    > >> device aspect ratio" is selected in the preview window.
    > >>
    > >> Mike
    > >>

    > > Thanks for these dimensions.
    > > With existing images that are large MB (for print size), are you
    > > saying it'll automatically reduce/scale them to size and there's no
    > > need for me to do it ?
    >

    > That's correct. Vegas does it for you. As I said, if you want to use the
    > pan & scan feature (panning a large group of people or zooming in/out on a
    > picture, for example), then a higher resolution allows you to do this.
    > Examples of this technique are at
    > http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm
    > specifically tutorials 4, 14 & 15.
    > BTW, this is covered in chapter 11 of the Vegas manual.
    >

    > Mike

Tuner Cards Photoshop Desktops Video Graphics