Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 5:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any input.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 5:43:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

If you like sitting in front of endless dialogs that say "Preparing Video
for Diaplay" Or twirling beachballs or error messages saying that your
program has crashed.. then get Final Klutz. If you like to watch render
dialogs.. go for it..

On the other hand if you just want to get work done.. Get the far cheaper
and much faster Premiere Pro.
"Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040404211201.16223.00000509@mb-m23.aol.com...
> Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any input.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 3:35:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040404211201.16223.00000509@mb-m23.aol.com...
> Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any input.

They were supposedly designed by the same person. I've used both. FCP has
the edge IMHO, because it seems more mature - Premiere is playing catchup.

I learned FCP by reading the books and lots of trial and error. It took me
minutes to figure out Premiere, given this background - the interface is
basically the same.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 3:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <4070b5f2$0$27643$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, "Tampax"
<tampax@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:

> "Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20040404211201.16223.00000509@mb-m23.aol.com...
> > Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any input.
>
> They were supposedly designed by the same person. I've used both. FCP has
> the edge IMHO, because it seems more mature - Premiere is playing catchup.
>
> I learned FCP by reading the books and lots of trial and error. It took me
> minutes to figure out Premiere, given this background - the interface is
> basically the same.

Randy Ubillos was one of the architects of Premier in the old days.

He left and created FCP (with others) using what he'd learned.

FCP continues to evolve and grow - as does Premier. However, I suspect
more people use FCP now then Premier EVEN tho it requires the use of a
Mac.

And YES, there's a reason people choose it even tho it means you can't run
it on cheap hardware.

Ask around and see what the people you're likely to work with use. Cuz
it's always comforting to be able to ask someone a quick question if you
get stuck.

The reality is that MOST of the people making money doing "mission
critical" video editing for pay use either Avid or FCP.

While Premier (and others such as VEGAS), are fine programs, you simply
don't hear of that many shops using them in a commercial sense.

Good luck.

--
Bill Davis
NewVideo


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 10:40:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Bill

I am working on a show in FCP that has a number of VFX. I am doing the
compositing in Combustion on a Windows network. How would you go about
replacing files as they are update when they've been in the FCP timeline?
With FCP open.

With FCP open I have to first DELETE the file, because FCP locks the
file and the OS will not allow me to write over it. Funny, though .. you CAN
delete it!

So I delete the file, drag the new one from Windows (through SAMBA) over
to the mac folder that had the file in it.

Then I return to FCP and it takes nearly a full 5 minutes before I can
work again. I have to sit through about 4 "Preparing Video For Display"
Dialogs. Then I can work again. Needless to say, if you are working on a
feature with 100 fx shots and going back and forth for tweaks.. this can
severly slow down your workflow.. Even more when FCP just crashes into
dust..

There is probably a much faster way to do this?

n

"Bill Davis" <newvideo@amug.org> wrote in message
news:newvideo-0504040040310001@d118-osel-phx.fastq.com...
> In article <4070b5f2$0$27643$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, "Tampax"
> <tampax@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:
>
> > "Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
> > news:20040404211201.16223.00000509@mb-m23.aol.com...
> > > Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any
input.
> >
> > They were supposedly designed by the same person. I've used both. FCP
has
> > the edge IMHO, because it seems more mature - Premiere is playing
catchup.
> >
> > I learned FCP by reading the books and lots of trial and error. It took
me
> > minutes to figure out Premiere, given this background - the interface is
> > basically the same.
>
> Randy Ubillos was one of the architects of Premier in the old days.
>
> He left and created FCP (with others) using what he'd learned.
>
> FCP continues to evolve and grow - as does Premier. However, I suspect
> more people use FCP now then Premier EVEN tho it requires the use of a
> Mac.
>
> And YES, there's a reason people choose it even tho it means you can't run
> it on cheap hardware.
>
> Ask around and see what the people you're likely to work with use. Cuz
> it's always comforting to be able to ask someone a quick question if you
> get stuck.
>
> The reality is that MOST of the people making money doing "mission
> critical" video editing for pay use either Avid or FCP.
>
> While Premier (and others such as VEGAS), are fine programs, you simply
> don't hear of that many shops using them in a commercial sense.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Bill Davis
> NewVideo
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 5:49:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <ZKhcc.46761$se.40009@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, "nappy"
<nappy@nappy.no.spam.com> wrote:

> Bill
>
> I am working on a show in FCP that has a number of VFX. I am doing the
> compositing in Combustion on a Windows network. How would you go about
> replacing files as they are update when they've been in the FCP timeline?
> With FCP open.
>
> With FCP open I have to first DELETE the file, because FCP locks the
> file and the OS will not allow me to write over it. Funny, though .. you CAN
> delete it!
>
> So I delete the file, drag the new one from Windows (through SAMBA) over
> to the mac folder that had the file in it.
>
> Then I return to FCP and it takes nearly a full 5 minutes before I can
> work again. I have to sit through about 4 "Preparing Video For Display"
> Dialogs. Then I can work again. Needless to say, if you are working on a
> feature with 100 fx shots and going back and forth for tweaks.. this can
> severly slow down your workflow.. Even more when FCP just crashes into
> dust..
>
> There is probably a much faster way to do this?
>
> n


Perhaps. Or not. I don't know because as I've told you time and time
again, I don't do the kind of work you do.

BUT I know lots of folks who do. But there's a problem.

You've posted stuff like this over and over again. Same point of view.
"This is what *I* need." "It's all about ME." "I've decided to use
software X and software Y and they don't flawlessly communicate so the
WORLD is evil and everyone is against me and it MUST be Software B because
I want it to do something that only one ten thousandth of the installed
base will EVER likely want to do and it doesn't do it flawlessly, so I'll
go on a holy jihad and trash it every chance I get.

The sad truth is that there are likely folks out there who are doing
exactly what you seek and have already figured it all out.

At one point months and months ago, I even suggested that I could put you
in touch with some of the major players in LA who would be likely to know
exactly this stuff.

But your attitude has remained as constant as the tides. You bash and bash
and argue and are so consumed at pointing out flaws in any and everything
you write about here - particularly in regards to FCP - that I can't, in
good conciencious, send you to any of my contacts because I'm afraid you'd
annoy them so much that they'd never take another of my calls...

I completely understand frustration. But YOU are the person who's taken on
this attitude. And I'm sorry, but it's NOT an attitude that causes me to
want to spend much of my time trying to put you in touch with those who
work at your level (and far, far above) and who might be able to help you
solve your problems.

--
Bill Davis
NewVideo


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 5:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

you know you took that bait and did exactly what I thought you would ...
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 7:37:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <VVSdc.35303$hz5.30681@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, "nappy"
<nappy@nappy.no.spam.com> wrote:

> "Bill Davis" <newvideo@amug.org> wrote in message


I don't want to prolong this.

I'll just suggest that anyone who wishes to assess the credibility of my
opinions can look up my posting record under the (non-munged) name and
addy above. (Which I've been using, exclusively and consistently, in the
open here for more than 6 years.)

For "nappy" you'll have to look up that identity and then cross-reference
it to the three or four other "posting identities" he regularly uses.

Then you can decide for yourself who's likely to have the greater credibility.

I will note that I've never heard ANYONE other than nappy himself verify
who he is or what he does.

While I have a host of friends and collegues here and on
rec.video.production who've worked with me in real life and know both
who I am and that I ACTUALLY do what I say I do here - make my living
running my own corporate video production company full time.

For what it's worth.

--
Bill Davis
NewVideo


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:14:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> I don't mind prolonging this.. I am waiting for FCP to load up so I
have a
> few minutes.

You obviously have too much time on your hands. Do you actually think
this little flame fest will accomplish anything? If you've been on
Usenet as long as you say, you would have learned long ago that you will
change no ones opinion with posts like these.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:11:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote in message
news:Llcec.13900$951.2007@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> > I don't mind prolonging this.. I am waiting for FCP to load up so I
> have a
> > few minutes.
>
> You obviously have too much time on your hands.

I get up early.


Do you actually think
> this little flame fest will accomplish anything?

Which answer would you like? Yes or No. All the same to me.

If you've been on
> Usenet as long as you say, you would have learned long ago that you will
> change no ones opinion with posts like these.


If you've really been on usenet that long then you know better than to ask
that question.



>
>
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 11:30:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Yes, but they both such. Us Adobe premiere 6.5. Much nicer and has a
transition track.


"Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040404211201.16223.00000509@mb-m23.aol.com...
> Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any input.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 11:31:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Actually, more people use premierethan ever other non-linera editor in the
world combined. Hell, we have high school interns come in that know it.
Nobody uses a Mac or an Atari anymore.



"Bill Davis" <newvideo@amug.org> wrote in message
news:newvideo-0504040040310001@d118-osel-phx.fastq.com...
> In article <4070b5f2$0$27643$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, "Tampax"
> <tampax@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:
>
> > "Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
> > news:20040404211201.16223.00000509@mb-m23.aol.com...
> > > Is Adobe Premiere Pro comparable to Final Cut Pro? Thanks for any
input.
> >
> > They were supposedly designed by the same person. I've used both. FCP
has
> > the edge IMHO, because it seems more mature - Premiere is playing
catchup.
> >
> > I learned FCP by reading the books and lots of trial and error. It took
me
> > minutes to figure out Premiere, given this background - the interface is
> > basically the same.
>
> Randy Ubillos was one of the architects of Premier in the old days.
>
> He left and created FCP (with others) using what he'd learned.
>
> FCP continues to evolve and grow - as does Premier. However, I suspect
> more people use FCP now then Premier EVEN tho it requires the use of a
> Mac.
>
> And YES, there's a reason people choose it even tho it means you can't run
> it on cheap hardware.
>
> Ask around and see what the people you're likely to work with use. Cuz
> it's always comforting to be able to ask someone a quick question if you
> get stuck.
>
> The reality is that MOST of the people making money doing "mission
> critical" video editing for pay use either Avid or FCP.
>
> While Premier (and others such as VEGAS), are fine programs, you simply
> don't hear of that many shops using them in a commercial sense.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Bill Davis
> NewVideo
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
!