  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2004 12:52:24 AM

Question about the best way to do something.

I have a PC with an analog to digital converter card in it.
It produces a scrolling oscilloscope-like display on the
monitor screen.

I want to capture that monitor display to a video file so
that I can insert it as a picture-in-picture window in
another video file captured with a conventional DV
camera, and have the two synchronized.

I have a screen capture utility that captures to AVI
video, but it's a bit slow. It's also a bit difficult
to get the two synched in an editor. Is there a better
way to do this?

Bob

More about : monitor screen capture video

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2004 4:25:03 PM

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:52:24 -0700, Bob Nienhuis <nienhuis@wgn.net>
wrote:

>Question about the best way to do something.
>
>I have a PC with an analog to digital converter card in it.
>It produces a scrolling oscilloscope-like display on the
>monitor screen.
>
>I want to capture that monitor display to a video file so
>that I can insert it as a picture-in-picture window in
>another video file captured with a conventional DV
>camera, and have the two synchronized.
>
>I have a screen capture utility that captures to AVI
>video, but it's a bit slow. It's also a bit difficult
>to get the two synched in an editor. Is there a better
>way to do this?
>
>Bob

a scan converter will allow the output from a monitor port to be
converted

canopus make a new device called twinview which will do this and more.

there should be a review of it in the next computervideo magazine.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2004 9:33:14 PM

Bob Nienhuis wrote:

> I have a PC with an analog to digital converter card in
> it. It produces a scrolling oscilloscope-like display on
> the monitor screen. I want to capture that monitor display
> to a video file [...]

Does the A/D converter allow storing measurement data in a
file?

If it does, maybe you could capture the measurement data
(as raw numbers) first, and then code a simple program
(or write a simple script, stiching together some
command-line tools - such as gnuplot[1]) which could

1) read in this pre-captured data,

2) draw similar oscilliscope-like graphs based on it

and

3) store these graphs in separate image files, with
an auto-incrementing number in the filename.

Once you have a set of graphs as image files, you could then
use some video tool (such as AVISynth [2]) to combine them
into a single AVI file, and then import this AVI file into
your video editor app.

[1] <http://www.gnuplot.info/&gt;,
<http://images.google.com/images?q=gnuplot&gt;

[2] <http://www.avisynth.org/&gt;