Monitor screen capture to video

Question about the best way to do something.

I have a PC with an analog to digital converter card in it.
It produces a scrolling oscilloscope-like display on the
monitor screen.

I want to capture that monitor display to a video file so
that I can insert it as a picture-in-picture window in
another video file captured with a conventional DV
camera, and have the two synchronized.

I have a screen capture utility that captures to AVI
video, but it's a bit slow. It's also a bit difficult
to get the two synched in an editor. Is there a better
way to do this?

Bob
2 answers Last reply
More about monitor screen capture video

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:52:24 -0700, Bob Nienhuis <nienhuis@wgn.net>
    wrote:

    >Question about the best way to do something.
    >
    >I have a PC with an analog to digital converter card in it.
    >It produces a scrolling oscilloscope-like display on the
    >monitor screen.
    >
    >I want to capture that monitor display to a video file so
    >that I can insert it as a picture-in-picture window in
    >another video file captured with a conventional DV
    >camera, and have the two synchronized.
    >
    >I have a screen capture utility that captures to AVI
    >video, but it's a bit slow. It's also a bit difficult
    >to get the two synched in an editor. Is there a better
    >way to do this?
    >
    >Bob

    a scan converter will allow the output from a monitor port to be
    converted

    canopus make a new device called twinview which will do this and more.

    there should be a review of it in the next computervideo magazine.

    Bob Nienhuis wrote:

    > I have a PC with an analog to digital converter card in
    > it. It produces a scrolling oscilloscope-like display on
    > the monitor screen. I want to capture that monitor display
    > to a video file [...]

    Does the A/D converter allow storing measurement data in a
    file?

    If it does, maybe you could capture the measurement data
    (as raw numbers) first, and then code a simple program
    (or write a simple script, stiching together some
    command-line tools - such as gnuplot[1]) which could

    1) read in this pre-captured data,

    2) draw similar oscilliscope-like graphs based on it

    and

    3) store these graphs in separate image files, with
    an auto-incrementing number in the filename.

    Once you have a set of graphs as image files, you could then
    use some video tool (such as AVISynth [2]) to combine them
    into a single AVI file, and then import this AVI file into
    your video editor app.

    [1] <http://www.gnuplot.info/>,
    <http://images.google.com/images?q=gnuplot>

    [2] <http://www.avisynth.org/>

    --
    znark

Tuner Cards Video Monitors Graphics Displays