please suggest a graphics card

Hi all,

I am buying a new PC and want to be able to start video editing sports
coaching dvds.
I like what Ive seen of Vegas (and there's a free upgrade.)

I don't want to spend a huge amount if I can help it, so I'm looking at
replacing my PII 400 with an Athlon XP2400.
(Inc. DVD+/-RW Drive, 512mb RAM, 2 HD's totalling 200MB)

I currently have a 17" CRT, there is a deal on so I'm going to get a 17"
TFT.
Rather than throw out the CRT I would like to 'dual head'? them to use them
both at the same time.

The question is what graphics cards would you suggest?

--
Regards,
Ian Warren

ANY ati Radion or Nvidea card in the $100+ region should give you dual head
and enough speed.
I use a ati 9600XT and an Nvidea FX 5600 both VG

"Ian Warren" <ian@iwarren.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am buying a new PC and want to be able to start video editing sports
> coaching dvds.
> I like what Ive seen of Vegas (and there's a free upgrade.)
>
> I don't want to spend a huge amount if I can help it, so I'm looking at
> replacing my PII 400 with an Athlon XP2400.
> (Inc. DVD+/-RW Drive, 512mb RAM, 2 HD's totalling 200MB)
>
> I currently have a 17" CRT, there is a deal on so I'm going to get a 17"
> TFT.
> Rather than throw out the CRT I would like to 'dual head'? them to use
them
> both at the same time.
>
> The question is what graphics cards would you suggest?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ian Warren

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Ian Warren" <ian@iwarren.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am buying a new PC and want to be able to start video editing sports
>coaching dvds.
>I like what Ive seen of Vegas (and there's a free upgrade.)
>
>I don't want to spend a huge amount if I can help it, so I'm looking at
>replacing my PII 400 with an Athlon XP2400.
>(Inc. DVD+/-RW Drive, 512mb RAM, 2 HD's totalling 200MB)
>
>I currently have a 17" CRT, there is a deal on so I'm going to get a 17"
>TFT.
>Rather than throw out the CRT I would like to 'dual head'? them to use them
>both at the same time.
>
>The question is what graphics cards would you suggest?

The GeXcube Radeon 9600XT is a popular graphics card and it supports
dual monitors.

Regards Brian

"Brian" <nospam@anywhere.com> wrote in message
"Ian Warren" <ian@iwarren.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am buying a new PC and want to be able to start video editing sports
>coaching dvds.
>I like what Ive seen of Vegas (and there's a free upgrade.)
>
>I don't want to spend a huge amount if I can help it, so I'm looking at
>replacing my PII 400 with an Athlon XP2400.
>(Inc. DVD+/-RW Drive, 512mb RAM, 2 HD's totalling 200MB)
>
>I currently have a 17" CRT, there is a deal on so I'm going to get a 17"
>TFT.
>Rather than throw out the CRT I would like to 'dual head'? them to use them
>both at the same time.
>
>The question is what graphics cards would you suggest?

The GeXcube Radeon 9600XT is a popular graphics card and it supports
dual monitors.

Regards Brian

______________

Someone suggested a P650 64Mb DDR AGP Dual Head + DVI Graphics Card.

Any thoughts?

Ian

Ian Warren wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am buying a new PC and want to be able to start video editing sports
> coaching dvds.
> I like what Ive seen of Vegas (and there's a free upgrade.)
>
> I don't want to spend a huge amount if I can help it, so I'm looking at
> replacing my PII 400 with an Athlon XP2400.
> (Inc. DVD+/-RW Drive, 512mb RAM, 2 HD's totalling 200MB)

First off.. nothing against AMD chipsets, however, it has been my
experience that Intel chipsets seam to just run better when were talking
heavy applications such as video editing.

Upgrade to 1Gig of RAM. Drop one of the 200MB drives, and go for a
smaller drive for use with the OS only! Then get a second drive as
large as you can afford, and use this was your media/capture/scratchdisk
drive.

> I currently have a 17" CRT, there is a deal on so I'm going to get a 17"
> TFT.
> Rather than throw out the CRT I would like to 'dual head'? them to use them
> both at the same time.

This works excellent.

> The question is what graphics cards would you suggest?

Anyone that supports dual head. Graphics cards are not that important
in video editing.

-Richard