VOB File to MPEG

Complete newbie here asking for some assistance...

I have a DVD (non commercial type) that I need to "clip" a two minute
section out of to place on my PC. The file type on the DVD is VOB and
I am not sure what software I need to use to:

A)convert the VOB file to an MPEG or equivalent file type (if this is
required at all)so that I can view it on my PC (no DVD drive on the
PC)

B)edit out the 2 minute clip that I need out of the VOB file (which is
quite large in terms of file size)

Probably 2 different softwares are required I know. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP on a Pentium IV.

Thanks,

Tim
4 answers Last reply
More about file mpeg

    On 5 Apr 2004 07:23:19 -0700, tkenney65@comcast.net (Shestheone)
    wrote:

    >Complete newbie here asking for some assistance...
    >
    >I have a DVD (non commercial type) that I need to "clip" a two minute
    >section out of to place on my PC. The file type on the DVD is VOB and
    >I am not sure what software I need to use to:
    >
    >A)convert the VOB file to an MPEG or equivalent file type (if this is
    >required at all)so that I can view it on my PC (no DVD drive on the
    >PC)
    >
    >B)edit out the 2 minute clip that I need out of the VOB file (which is
    >quite large in terms of file size)
    >

    >Probably 2 different softwares are required I know. Any help would be
    >greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP on a Pentium IV.

    The VOB file is multiplexed from several streams. Try to de-multiplex
    those streams (video and audio) you need with TMPGEnc's de-multiplex
    function. (MPEG_tools)

    After this you can edit them with the same program.

    Would you rather convert the mpeg2 from the dvd to some avi, then you
    can use: DVD2AVI. http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/

    Good luck.

    wrote:

    >I have a DVD (non commercial type) that I need to "clip" a two minute
    >section out of to place on my PC.

    Tmpgenc can cut mpeg-2, but I don't know if it can operate directly on
    VOBs. If it cannot do so, you shall have to rip first as mpeg. In any
    case, it cannot cut on a precise frame (with a precision of up to 15
    frames).

    Mpegvcr (http://www.womble.com) can operate directly on DVD VOBs, and
    cut precisely.

    On a sunny day (Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:49:15 +0200) it happened Bariloche
    <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in
    <nkn470h5pdinpm0gq79hklkeot756sfk0n@4ax.com>:
    >Mpegvcr (http://www.womble.com) can operate directly on DVD VOBs, and
    >cut precisely.
    Is that a new feature?
    The old demo I found will not work on MY multi language subbed vobs?
    JP

    On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:24:06 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Is that a new feature?
    >The old demo I found will not work on MY multi language subbed vobs?

    Hmmm, may be I have only tried with monolingual DVDs. With mpeg-2 .mpg
    files, it certainly has precise cutting.

Tuner Cards Graphics