Firewire connection not working

Hello. Help needed.

I own a brand new pre-instaled WinXP SP2 based computer with firewire
on-board (MSI board).
Firewire connection lists correctly on Device Manager.
I've also disabled the 1394 Net Adapter and firewall protection for this
connection.
I know my firewire cable is ok.
My camera is a Canon XL1. It's powered by AC adapter (not batteries) and
it's on VCR mode. I've tryed turning it on before and after booting the PC.

Result: it's never recognised by XP.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same problem (with a Canon
XL1s).

"Oedipus" wrote:

> Hello. Help needed.
>
> I own a brand new pre-instaled WinXP SP2 based computer with firewire
> on-board (MSI board).
> Firewire connection lists correctly on Device Manager.
> I've also disabled the 1394 Net Adapter and firewall protection for this
> connection.
> I know my firewire cable is ok.
> My camera is a Canon XL1. It's powered by AC adapter (not batteries) and
> it's on VCR mode. I've tryed turning it on before and after booting the PC.
>
> Result: it's never recognised by XP.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Hi Dedrick:

It's a bit embarassing, actually: the firewire cable is ok as I said, but
not the firewire interface on the camera. I pressed the cable upwards into
the interface and... it worked!

So back to basics: check your cables and interfaces, try it on a machine you
know it works, etc...

"Dedrick" wrote:

> Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same problem (with a Canon
> XL1s).
>
> "Oedipus" wrote:
>
> > Hello. Help needed.
> >
> > I own a brand new pre-instaled WinXP SP2 based computer with firewire
> > on-board (MSI board).
> > Firewire connection lists correctly on Device Manager.
> > I've also disabled the 1394 Net Adapter and firewall protection for this
> > connection.
> > I know my firewire cable is ok.
> > My camera is a Canon XL1. It's powered by AC adapter (not batteries) and
> > it's on VCR mode. I've tryed turning it on before and after booting the PC.
> >
> > Result: it's never recognised by XP.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

Oedipus,
You know what, I found out last night my firewire interface on my XL1s is
bad too, because I got a friend of mine's GL1 and plugged it into my computer
and it was recognized instantly. When you pressed the cable upwards, did you
have to hold it for a while or did as soon as you pressed it, it worked? I
tried pushing mine's in tighter, but I didn't hold it, so maybe that's why I
couldn't get mines to work. Thanks.