can't convert A to D with DV camcorder's passthru mode

I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
it stops passing the new signal thru.
..
3 answers Last reply
More about convert camcorder passthru mode

    ignatoff@bellsouth.net (Ed) wrote in news:b94de265.0404051212.8eb377
    @posting.google.com:

    > I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
    > mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
    > through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
    > into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
    > monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
    > is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
    > Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
    > it stops passing the new signal thru.
    > .

    Try taking the tape out...

    Some capture programs have a setting to not control the camera or to
    set the camera for manual control. I can't find it in Movie Maker, but
    maybe you can...

    HTH,
    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    In article <Xns94C2965F8DABFAstrolabe@204.127.204.17>,
    "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:

    > ignatoff@bellsouth.net (Ed) wrote in news:b94de265.0404051212.8eb377
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
    > > mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
    > > through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
    > > into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
    > > monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
    > > is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
    > > Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
    > > it stops passing the new signal thru.
    > > .
    > >

    > Try taking the tape out...
    >
    > Some capture programs have a setting to not control the camera or to
    > set the camera for manual control. I can't find it in Movie Maker, but
    > maybe you can...
    >
    > HTH,
    > Gino

    Taking the tape out will probably allow it to work like you want. I
    believe that step is in the instruction manual for my Canon ZR 40.

    But if you want to record a miniDV tape as a backup while you are
    importing to your PC, you might be able to get it to work if you have
    the video running before you click the Record button. The software might
    not try to start the camera if it sees video already coming in. Worth a
    try, anyway.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:galley@texas.net>

    ignatoff@bellsouth.net (Ed) wrote:

    >I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
    >mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
    >through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
    >into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
    >monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
    >is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
    >Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
    >it stops passing the new signal thru.
    >.

    Check the manual that came with the camera. There should be a setting
    on the camera that prevents the camera being controlled by the
    software.
    You could try removing the tape from the camera.
    Movie maker is a bit limited in handling different situations. If your
    still having problems then I'd suggest trying another video editor
    from www.dvdrhelp.com

    Regards Brian

Tuner Cards Video Camcorders Graphics