can't convert A to D with DV camcorder's passthru mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 5, 2004 5:12:51 PM

I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
it stops passing the new signal thru.
..
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 1:46:55 AM

ignatoff@bellsouth.net (Ed) wrote in news:b94de265.0404051212.8eb377
@posting.google.com:

> I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
> mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
> through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
> into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
> monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
> is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
> Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
> it stops passing the new signal thru.
> .

Try taking the tape out...

Some capture programs have a setting to not control the camera or to
set the camera for manual control. I can't find it in Movie Maker, but
maybe you can...

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

In article <Xns94C2965F8DABFAstrolabe@204.127.204.17>,
"Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:

> ignatoff@bellsouth.net (Ed) wrote in news:b94de265.0404051212.8eb377
> @posting.google.com:
>
> > I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
> > mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
> > through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
> > into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
> > monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
> > is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
> > Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
> > it stops passing the new signal thru.
> > .
> >

> Try taking the tape out...
>
> Some capture programs have a setting to not control the camera or to
> set the camera for manual control. I can't find it in Movie Maker, but
> maybe you can...
>
> HTH,
> Gino

Taking the tape out will probably allow it to work like you want. I
believe that step is in the instruction manual for my Canon ZR 40.

But if you want to record a miniDV tape as a backup while you are
importing to your PC, you might be able to get it to work if you have
the video running before you click the Record button. The software might
not try to start the camera if it sees video already coming in. Worth a
try, anyway.

--
Gordon Alley <*>
<mailto:galley@texas.net>

ignatoff@bellsouth.net (Ed) wrote:

>I have a Sharp DV camcorder which has an A to D passthru
>mode. I hook up my VCR to the camcorder to pass it
>through and get a digital signal on the firewire going
>into my computer. This seems to work fin and the video
>monitor in movie maker shows the new video. The problem
>is that as soon as I click "record" in movie maker, the
>Sharp DV camcorder starts playing what's on it's tape and
>it stops passing the new signal thru.
>.

Check the manual that came with the camera. There should be a setting
on the camera that prevents the camera being controlled by the
software.
You could try removing the tape from the camera.
Movie maker is a bit limited in handling different situations. If your
still having problems then I'd suggest trying another video editor
from www.dvdrhelp.com

Regards Brian
!