Divx minimum requirements for on-the-fly encoding

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi,
What would be the minimum requirements to encode from an anologue source
(composite input) to divx at 640x480 via virtualdub for example ?
I'm especially interested in how much CPU power I would need.
Is a 1.6GHz Duron enough ?
And would I get a decent picture quality ?
Thanks

steve wrote:

> Hi,
> What would be the minimum requirements to encode from an anologue source
> (composite input) to divx at 640x480 via virtualdub for example ?
> I'm especially interested in how much CPU power I would need.
> Is a 1.6GHz Duron enough ?
> And would I get a decent picture quality ?
> Thanks

In my experience, with applications that supported on the fly encoding to
Divx, I got much better results by using the Xvid codec instead. CPU use was
much lower and quality was noticeably better.

Your mileage may vary...

On a sunny day (Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:09:36 +0200) it happened steve <a@a.com>
wrote in <4071CB10.3050306@a.com>:

>Hi,
>What would be the minimum requirements to encode from an anologue source
>(composite input) to divx at 640x480 via virtualdub for example ?
>I'm especially interested in how much CPU power I would need.
>Is a 1.6GHz Duron enough ?
>And would I get a decent picture quality ?
>Thanks

I can do real time DivX 4 on a Duron 950 with 352x288.
You need ( (640x480) / (352x288) ) ) * (30 / 25) = 3.62 x the power.
(30 / 25 because I was in PAL, and you NTSC?)
So you'd need a 3.45 GHz Duron.
Of cause there meay be some tolerance.Why not try and see what happens?
Set medium quality in the coder.
JP