Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Capturing video signal being sent to my DV

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:41:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

My DV cam is connected to my PC via 1394. MM 2.1 correctly identifies
device, and works fine if I want MM to capture content from MiniDV tape.

My DV cam also has RCA and S-video input. I want MM 2.1 to capture the live
input from RCA/S-video without first having to save input to tape and then
playing back for MM to capture from DV cam.

Help.

Thank you.

More about : capturing video signal

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Check the camera doc for the,"pass through function" if it supports it.

"Dale Alex" <Dale Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4A52DFD8-8C04-4E11-B5B7-D36162BBEBAB@microsoft.com...
> My DV cam is connected to my PC via 1394. MM 2.1 correctly identifies
> device, and works fine if I want MM to capture content from MiniDV tape.
>
> My DV cam also has RCA and S-video input. I want MM 2.1 to capture the
live
> input from RCA/S-video without first having to save input to tape and then
> playing back for MM to capture from DV cam.
>
> Help.
>
> Thank you.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:18:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello there,

As Nick says, go the Pass through route. On my DV camera I set DV-IN to true,
remove the DV tape and feed my VHS camera signal into the DV via the S-VHS
connectors. Make sure to feed the Audio from your Analog source to the Line-IN
socket of your sound card and set MM to capture the audio from Line-IN as well.
Make sure that the DV camera is set to VCR mode and away you go....your camera
and or Movie Maker may at first complain that there is no tape...just ignore
it. I have been very pleased with capturing this way...the results have been
excellent.

There is one possible problem that you may not be able to solve. Not all DV
cameras have DV-IN

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
----
\|||/
(oo)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
Related resources
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:22:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Rino,

Please see my reply posted just after yours.

Your answer is a very long way from the information the original poster was
asking for. Nick the first to reply gave the exact answer required and I have
padded it out a little.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
----
\|||/
(oo)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:15:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello,

Well, that's the problem. Dale does not want to go back either. I am trying to
tell you that you totally misunderstood his question.

He wants to take an analog video source and convert it to digital.

Please take this the way its intended...you need to learn a lot more English.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
----
\|||/
(oo)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your prompt responses. Actually, Rino, I have to agree with
Nick and John. It appears that the issue is that my DV Cam does not have
"pass through" capapbility (Sharp VL-WD255U). I want to avoid using miniDV
tapes.

From your submission, Rino, I get the impression that I still will have to
use miniDV tapes, therefore the process is going to be at least twice as long
as I would like it to be (1. record from analog to miniDV, 2. play miniDV and
dump via 1394 to PC).

Rino, did I misunderstand you or am I correct in my summation?

I want to eliminate step 2 above.

I am therefore left with two options, go through the process as outlined
above (i.e. step 1 and then step 2), otherwise get a new DV device that has
the following characteristics:

1. 1394
2. s-video/rca/composite input
3. pass-through capability.

Have I missed anything?

Again, thank you very much, and all the best for the new year.

Dale.

"John Kelly" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Well, that's the problem. Dale does not want to go back either. I am trying to
> tell you that you totally misunderstood his question.
>
> He wants to take an analog video source and convert it to digital.
>
> Please take this the way its intended...you need to learn a lot more English.
>
> --
> Best Wishes.....John Kelly
> www.the-kellys.org
> www.the-kellys.co.uk
> Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
> ----
> \|||/
> (oo)
> ----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
> All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
> obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
>
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:37:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello Rino,

I have at least 30 VHS tapes of home stuff (recorded in EP mode, i.e. 6
hours per tape) that I want to move to DVD as cheaply and easily as possible.
Since they are six hours in length, it means that I will have to use at
least four miniDV tapes to process a VHS tape, which then equates to >12
hours to process a VHS tape (I was really hoping to cut down that processing
time).

Again thank you.

Dale.

"<< Rino >>" wrote:

> Hello Dale,
> Thank you for coming up with your well explained project. Everyone who read your thread are eager to know how successful you're
> about this new tactic to trick MM2.1 --- promise us that you'll report or post whatever the result. I'm hoping you could tell us
> what are the analog signals; Is that your own "old home movie" or commercial tapes? Or both?
>
> All The Best,
> --Rino
>
>
>
> "Dale Alex" <DaleAlex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:911BF4B1-7F54-4DF6-A176-848C895D73ED@microsoft.com...
> Hello Guys,
>
> Thank you for your prompt responses. Actually, Rino, I have to agree with
> Nick and John. It appears that the issue is that my DV Cam does not have
> "pass through" capapbility (Sharp VL-WD255U). I want to avoid using miniDV
> tapes.
>
> From your submission, Rino, I get the impression that I still will have to
> use miniDV tapes, therefore the process is going to be at least twice as long
> as I would like it to be (1. record from analog to miniDV, 2. play miniDV and
> dump via 1394 to PC).
>
> Rino, did I misunderstand you or am I correct in my summation?
>
> I want to eliminate step 2 above.
>
> I am therefore left with two options, go through the process as outlined
> above (i.e. step 1 and then step 2), otherwise get a new DV device that has
> the following characteristics:
>
> 1. 1394
> 2. s-video/rca/composite input
> 3. pass-through capability.
>
> Have I missed anything?
>
> Again, thank you very much, and all the best for the new year.
>
> Dale.
>
> "John Kelly" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Well, that's the problem. Dale does not want to go back either. I am trying to
> > tell you that you totally misunderstood his question.
> >
> > He wants to take an analog video source and convert it to digital.
> >
> > Please take this the way its intended...you need to learn a lot more English.
> >
> > --
> > Best Wishes.....John Kelly
> > www.the-kellys.org
> > www.the-kellys.co.uk
> > Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
> > ----
> > \|||/
> > (oo)
> > ----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
> > All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
> > obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
> >
>
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:52:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Man you are a nightmare...I never told the OP to use a tape....I even went to
the trouble of putting it in CAPITAL LETTERS so that you might actually read it.

From this point on I will not bother trying to be polite...every time you make
a stupid remark in here you can expect the full benefit of my thoughts on the
matter...I started being nice and polite but you are clearly incapable of
reading what's in front of you...but you do seem able to reply when you are
criticized...you are either a fool or a wind up merchant....either way, you are
a fool

Please go back to school and try and learn the English Language

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Check out free video hosting at www.the-kellys.org
----
\|||/
(oo)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work
!