Question about burning to DVDs (newbie questions)

jeff

Hi,
I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:

1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
Suggestions?

2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
with Firewire from my notebook.

Thanks,
-Jeff

"Jeff" wrote ...
> I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
> like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:
>
> 1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
> as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
> seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
> Suggestions?

After trying 2-3 others (including some "name brand" and high-
end products, none of which I never got working), I bought
Adobe Encore (as part of the bundle, but still using my old
Premiere 6.5 rather than risking Premiere Pro). I am very
pleased with Encore. Reasonably straightforward and intuitive
and it actually works (finally!)

> 2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
> with Firewire from my notebook.

I use only internal drives. Don't trust external. YMMV

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Jeff <x@x.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
>like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:
>
>1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
>as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
>seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
>Suggestions?
>
>2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
>with Firewire from my notebook.
>
>Thanks,
>-Jeff

The only reason for using an authoring program is to create menus and
for putting chapters on your video so you can jump to a certain place
in your video.

Pioneer make reliable DVD writers, they may have an external drive.

Regards Brian

Hi -

Well the Best DVD Authoring Software out there is - DVD-Lab. Try it FREE
for 30 days.

Now I'm creating awesome DVD's.