Question about burning to DVDs (newbie questions)

Hi,
I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:

1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
Suggestions?

2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
with Firewire from my notebook.

Thanks,
-Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about question burning dvds newbie questions

    "Jeff" wrote ...
    > I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
    > like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:
    >
    > 1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
    > as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
    > seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
    > Suggestions?

    After trying 2-3 others (including some "name brand" and high-
    end products, none of which I never got working), I bought
    Adobe Encore (as part of the bundle, but still using my old
    Premiere 6.5 rather than risking Premiere Pro). I am very
    pleased with Encore. Reasonably straightforward and intuitive
    and it actually works (finally!)

    > 2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
    > with Firewire from my notebook.

    I use only internal drives. Don't trust external. YMMV

    Jeff <x@x.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
    >like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:
    >
    >1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
    >as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
    >seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
    >Suggestions?
    >
    >2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
    >with Firewire from my notebook.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >-Jeff

    The only reason for using an authoring program is to create menus and
    for putting chapters on your video so you can jump to a certain place
    in your video.

    Pioneer make reliable DVD writers, they may have an external drive.

    Regards Brian

    Hi -

    Well the Best DVD Authoring Software out there is - DVD-Lab. Try it FREE
    for 30 days.

    Now I'm creating awesome DVD's.

    "Brian" <nospam@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > Jeff <x@x.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I've been working with Premiere 6.5 and am now at the stage where I'd
    > >like to output my projects to a DVD. I have a few questions:
    > >
    > >1. The DVD should be viewable in a standalone player connected to a TV,
    > >as well as a computer. Do I need DVD authoring software for this? I've
    > >seen the one from Adobe, but am not really familiar with other ones.
    > >Suggestions?
    > >
    > >2. Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer? I would be connecting
    > >with Firewire from my notebook.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >-Jeff
    >
    > The only reason for using an authoring program is to create menus and
    > for putting chapters on your video so you can jump to a certain place
    > in your video.
    >
    > Pioneer make reliable DVD writers, they may have an external drive.
    >
    > Regards Brian

Tuner Cards DVD Graphics