Quicktime file size limitations?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Apparently QT Pro 4 has a file size limitation that is not that well
documented on the Apple site. At least I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know what it actually is and does the current verison (6.5)
also have the same or similar file size limitation?

Thanks.

George <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<4071D324.4F3525DA@mindspring.com>...
> Apparently QT Pro 4 has a file size limitation that is not that well
> documented on the Apple site. At least I can't find it anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know what it actually is and does the current verison (6.5)
> also have the same or similar file size limitation?
>
> Thanks.

I've worked with file sizes bigger than 2GB in QuickTime 5 and 6
without issue. As far as I know the only file size restriction there
is the size of your drive.

Clifford VanMeter
Illustrator • Designer • Webslinger
http://quicktiming.orghttp://ursamajormedia.com

John Smith wrote:

> Check the file system you're using. FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. The file size
> limitation may not come from the program, but the operating system.
>
> FAT has a file size limit of 2 GB

Except that FAT has been obsolete since Win95, so I doubt he's using it.

> FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB
> NTFS's only limit is the hard disk size

Not quite. NTFS has a limit, measured in terabytes.

16 terabytes minus 64 KB (244 bytes minus 64 KB)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

Keith Clark wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
>
> > Check the file system you're using. FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. The file size
> > limitation may not come from the program, but the operating system.
> >
> > FAT has a file size limit of 2 GB
> >

> Except that FAT has been obsolete since Win95, so I doubt he's using it.
>
> > FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB
> > NTFS's only limit is the hard disk size
>
> Not quite. NTFS has a limit, measured in terabytes.
>
> 16 terabytes minus 64 KB (244 bytes minus 64 KB)

That didn't paste well. The "244" bytes should be " 2 to the 44th bytes" as you 'll see if you actually bother to click on the Microsoft link...

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I'm running W2K on a PIII 866 mhz.(another computer entirely for video work) with an 80 gig
drive.

I'm taking a DV file captured with Premier 6.5 that's 2.9 gigs and needing to export to .dv
(convert to dv stream) from it for a client who has Final Cut Pro. I can take DV files less than
2 gigs and they convert with no problem and rather quickly, too.

When I try the 2.3 gig file QT seems to hang... the first square turns blue on the timeline like
its working and then I get a box with red X "could't export movie because there was an
input/output error."

So, my assumption it does not work. What can be the problem?

George

JW wrote:

Looking at your headers, you're using windows 98. you have to upgrade to
win2K or winXP.

Keith Clark wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
>

>>Check the file system you're using. FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. The file size
>>limitation may not come from the program, but the operating system.
>>
>>FAT has a file size limit of 2 GB
>>

> Except that FAT has been obsolete since Win95, so I doubt he's using it.

I'm sorry isn't FAT 16 one of the filesystems available in Win 2K /
XP , I think even OS/2 although no one uses that really ?

jason

--

For me , said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine bottle,"
and he reached his hand up for it.