50 Gig DVD burner

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

There should be NO problem burning a full length movie
in uncompressed 1080i HD with one of these drives. However,
it's a whole other issue as to when the *players* will be
widely distributed enough to make it a viable format for
commercial films to be released in full 1080i HD:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15131

rodeo_racer@netzero.com (Tech God) writes:
> There should be NO problem burning a full length movie
> in uncompressed 1080i HD with one of these drives. However,
> it's a whole other issue as to when the *players* will be
> widely distributed enough to make it a viable format for
> commercial films to be released in full 1080i HD:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15131

The thing in that article is a mastering machine used for creating the
stampers of mass replicated disks. It's not a home recorder. It's
more like a lithography machine like you'd find in a semiconductor
fab. It's likely to cost megabucks.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

http://www.blu-ray.com/recorders/

rodeo_racer@netzero.com (Tech God) wrote in

> There should be NO problem burning a full length movie
> in uncompressed 1080i HD with one of these drives. However,
> it's a whole other issue as to when the *players* will be
> widely distributed enough to make it a viable format for
> commercial films to be released in full 1080i HD:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15131

It will use an electron beam to write the bits. When electrons stop, x-
rays are emitted...

Does that mean that, if the technology is ever released for home use,
we'll see as many mutants watching the film as there are in the (SciFi)
film?

Just kidding, of course. In reality, I doubt that they'd release any
more x-rays than a TV CRT or a computer CRT - but I did switch my
computer monitor to LCD, myself :)

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Tech God wrote:

> There should be NO problem burning a full length movie
> in uncompressed 1080i HD with one of these drives. However,
> it's a whole other issue as to when the *players* will be
> widely distributed enough to make it a viable format for
> commercial films to be released in full 1080i HD:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15131

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all the HD
camcorders on the horizon will always compress so they can fit
recordings on today's miniDV tapes.

However, even compressed it will look a heck of a lot better than
today's uncompressed DV.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:11:32 -0400, Chris McMahon
<cochrane68@hotmail.com__NOSPAM> wrote:

>Tech God wrote:

>> There should be NO problem burning a full length movie
>> in uncompressed 1080i HD with one of these drives.

Actually, an uncompressed full length (2 hour) movie in uncompressed
1080i HD would take up to 1.5TB of storage, or more (depending on
whether you descimate the color or not), and you'd be writing or
reading to disc at over 200MB/s -- which means a big hard drive array,
or nada.

Using broadcast-class MPEG-2 compression, on the other hand, you can
fit about 4.5 hours 1080i on the 50GB disc.

>> it's a whole other issue as to when the *players* will be
>> widely distributed enough to make it a viable format for
>> commercial films to be released in full 1080i HD:

The other issue is more basic: the Blu-Ray people need a glass
mastered format, within consumer-friendly manufacturing tolerances,
before they'll get big pre-recorded support. If not, the cost of
duplication would be prohibitive. The HD-DVD format would easily kill
Blu-Ray in the pre-recorded market.

Sounds like the Pioneer approach, though, could be VERY popular on
PCs.

>Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all the HD
> camcorders on the horizon will always compress so they can fit
>recordings on today's miniDV tapes.

All HD is compressed: camcorders, broadcast, etc.

Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
"Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

Someone

"Chris McMahon" <cochrane68@hotmail.com__NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Tech God wrote:
>
> > There should be NO problem burning a full length movie
> > in uncompressed 1080i HD with one of these drives. However,
> > it's a whole other issue as to when the *players* will be
> > widely distributed enough to make it a viable format for
> > commercial films to be released in full 1080i HD:
> >
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15131
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all the HD
> camcorders on the horizon will always compress so they can fit
> recordings on today's miniDV tapes.

Those are HDV, not HD cameras. Quite a difference. Whether HDV is good
enough to kill lower-end HD will be interesting to watch.