RealTime editing - Matrox RT.X10?

Hi there,

I currently have a fast system and it runs premeire pro fine and my other
editing apps fine.

The main gripe with my setup is that i cant monitor on an external
monitor/tv screen.

I thought about getting the canopus advc-100 to comabt this, which
retailshere at about £200.

I then started thinking about perhaps buying a specialsed "video editing
card" like the matrox rt.x10 which would enable monitor playback and real
time edintg with no rendering.

Would i see any major benefits to my system with a card such as this?
Can anyone reccomend any other similar products?
Or would i just be best off with the canopus product?

My current system is a dual 2ghz athlon system with 1gb of ram running xp
pro.

Any suggestions welcome!!!

P.S - i have just come off the avid suite at uni and it is so so so much
better than using a home system!!! :(

If your gonna spend around £500 then take a look at Canopus Raptor rt2max -
the only drawerback for some is the lack of analogue in - but you can get it
with the ADVC50 for the £500. You can also get the Raptor rt2max with Edius
2 for under £480 as well. A good editor not as mature as premiere but none
the less an excellent editor IMHO.

I've got a Advc100 and it is fantastic - however if you want real-time
effects (whatever is meant by that!) then a card will improve you situation.
(personally i class realtime as all preview and output is instant with no
rendering - but to get that will cost an arm and a leg. So edius does
realtime dv out and limited video/effect layers - as does the RTX10 if it's
just straight cuts and no effects).

goto the websites and check out the specs - personally i'd go for the raptor
but then i'm biased.

well, the rt.x10 does 2 layers of audio and video, using any of their
effects with no rendering.

i thing the rtx.100 pro does 100 layers or something.

???

KW_UK wrote:
> well, the rt.x10 does 2 layers of audio and video, using any of their
> effects with no rendering.
>
> i thing the rtx.100 pro does 100 layers or something.

No, not even hardly. The Matrox is great with its own effects, and a few
of the simpler Premiere effects like dissolves. But it also blocks some
of the Premiere effects that were realtime preview, but now need to be
rendered. We've been complaining.

Overall, we are happy with Matrox, but there are a few frontiers left to
conquer between Adobe and its peripheral and plug-in companies.

Gary Eickmeier