Need a Computer for Videos

I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I want to buy a computer for the
sole purpose to take my VHS-C videos and later on digital and put them
onto DVD+RW's for my children. I also want to take my photo's and put
them on DVD so the kids can watch them. I would like to add music or
effects. What would you all recommend as far as brand, size, software,
video cards, etc. I know a place where I can take all my
specifications and they will build it for me. I want it to be as easy
as possible. Please, no Dells! Thanks, Tired Grannie

On 6 Apr 2004 06:53:47 -0700, alviah@skyenet.net (Grannie) wrote:
>I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I want to buy a computer for the
>sole purpose to take my VHS-C videos and later on digital and put them
>onto DVD+RW's for my children. I also want to take my photo's and put
>them on DVD so the kids can watch them. I would like to add music or
>effects. What would you all recommend as far as brand, size, software,
>video cards, etc. I know a place where I can take all my
>specifications and they will build it for me. I want it to be as easy
>as possible. Please, no Dells! Thanks, Tired Grannie

Go here http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dv.aspx

Select Intel or Amd, then use the Customize option

But, first, read the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com so you
will have a better idea of what you need, to do what you want

I bought an AlienWare Roswell about 2 years ago (see my Video
page at the jtsmith link in my sig) which is slow by today's
Pentium 4 standards... but it has been a ROCK SOLID computer
for not only video editing by all my other software needs

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Any computer will work, as long as you have a means for converting analog to
digital, (camera pass-through, or Canopus ADVC 100), firewire input into
your computer, and the appropriate capture, edit & burn program. Some of
the stock Sony Vaio computers can be had for a bargain if you search the
'sales' on the internet. (they come equipped as video editing/burning
machines). You don't need a fancy video card, just a fairly robust cpu,
enough ram, two hard disks-one for system and one for video files, (or an
external hard drive), and a DVD burner. (Internal or external) For
all-in-one software, check out Sony Vegas and DVD-a. (not cheap, but
excellent).

Alternativly, if you want a simple, eloquent, all-in-one solution, check out
a MAC.

JTH

John Thomas Smith <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<0fo570h4duj6oomvhdogolpcvul7a21ohq@4ax.com>...
> On 6 Apr 2004 06:53:47 -0700, alviah@skyenet.net (Grannie) wrote:
> >I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I want to buy a computer for the
> >sole purpose to take my VHS-C videos and later on digital and put them
> >onto DVD+RW's for my children. I also want to take my photo's and put
> >them on DVD so the kids can watch them. I would like to add music or
> >effects. What would you all recommend as far as brand, size, software,
> >video cards, etc. I know a place where I can take all my
> >specifications and they will build it for me. I want it to be as easy
> >as possible. Please, no Dells! Thanks, Tired Grannie
>
> Go here http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dv.aspx
>
> Select Intel or Amd, then use the Customize option
>
> But, first, read the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com so you
> will have a better idea of what you need, to do what you want
>
> I bought an AlienWare Roswell about 2 years ago (see my Video
> page at the jtsmith link in my sig) which is slow by today's
> Pentium 4 standards... but it has been a ROCK SOLID computer
> for not only video editing by all my other software needs
>
> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Thanks for the info. I wish I was more computer savvy, bless you guys
on the news groups! You save a lot of people from major headaches and
searching the web relentlessly. Thanks again.
Grannie

Grannie wrote:

> John Thomas Smith <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<0fo570h4duj6oomvhdogolpcvul7a21ohq@4ax.com>...
>
>>On 6 Apr 2004 06:53:47 -0700, alviah@skyenet.net (Grannie) wrote:
>>
>>>I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I want to buy a computer for the
>>>sole purpose to take my VHS-C videos and later on digital and put them
>>>onto DVD+RW's for my children. I also want to take my photo's and put
>>>them on DVD so the kids can watch them. I would like to add music or
>>>effects. What would you all recommend as far as brand, size, software,
>>>video cards, etc. I know a place where I can take all my
>>>specifications and they will build it for me. I want it to be as easy
>>>as possible. Please, no Dells! Thanks, Tired Grannie
>>
>>Go here http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dv.aspx
>>
>>Select Intel or Amd, then use the Customize option
>>
>>But, first, read the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com so you
>>will have a better idea of what you need, to do what you want
>>
>>I bought an AlienWare Roswell about 2 years ago (see my Video
>>page at the jtsmith link in my sig) which is slow by today's
>>Pentium 4 standards... but it has been a ROCK SOLID computer
>>for not only video editing by all my other software needs
>>
>>John Thomas Smith
>>http://www.direct2usales.com
>>http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
>

> Thanks for the info. I wish I was more computer savvy, bless you guys
> on the news groups! You save a lot of people from major headaches and
> searching the web relentlessly. Thanks again.
> Grannie

Greetings Grannie,

I don't want to start a computer war here, but since you mentioned your
kids, you might want to also consider a Mac. Every single Mac on the
market today will work with video. Every Mac also comes with Firewire,
and most have DVD burners built in. Even the lower end educational
version of eMacs will do video, plus the Operating System comes free
with iMovie, iDVD, and a host of utilities to create, edit, and burn
your own movies.

On the Apple site there was a whole section devoted to how kids are
taking there eMacs, and sony camcorders, and creating documentries, and
burning DVDs with them.. Were talking about kids that were 10 years
old.. it was very inspiring to say the least. When I was 10 my editing
experience was a simple 8mm real to real edit machine, and scotch tape.. :)

-Richard

Richard Ragon <bsema01@hanaho.com> wrote in message news:<Vmwdc.20132$C02.16750@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> Grannie wrote:
>
> > John Thomas Smith <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<0fo570h4duj6oomvhdogolpcvul7a21ohq@4ax.com>...

> >>Go here http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dv.aspx
> >>
> >>Select Intel or Amd, then use the Customize option
> >>
> >>But, first, read the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com so you
> >>will have a better idea of what you need, to do what you want
> >>
> >>I bought an AlienWare Roswell about 2 years ago (see my Video
> >>page at the jtsmith link in my sig) which is slow by today's
> >>Pentium 4 standards... but it has been a ROCK SOLID computer
> >>for not only video editing by all my other software needs
> >>
> >>John Thomas Smith
> >>http://www.direct2usales.com
> >>http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
> >

> > Thanks for the info. I wish I was more computer savvy, bless you guys
> > on the news groups! You save a lot of people from major headaches and
> > searching the web relentlessly. Thanks again.
> > Grannie
>
> Greetings Grannie,
>
> I don't want to start a computer war here, but since you mentioned your
> kids, you might want to also consider a Mac. Every single Mac on the
> market today will work with video. Every Mac also comes with Firewire,
> and most have DVD burners built in. Even the lower end educational
> version of eMacs will do video, plus the Operating System comes free
> with iMovie, iDVD, and a host of utilities to create, edit, and burn
> your own movies.
>
> On the Apple site there was a whole section devoted to how kids are
> taking there eMacs, and sony camcorders, and creating documentries, and
> burning DVDs with them.. Were talking about kids that were 10 years
> old.. it was very inspiring to say the least. When I was 10 my editing
> experience was a simple 8mm real to real edit machine, and scotch tape.. :)
>
> -Richard

Richard,
Sounds like what I'm looking for. I will definitly check into the
Mac's. I've never had one so this is going to be interesting. Thanks
Richard!
Grannie