transferring video from miniDV camcorder to PC harddrive v..

Hello,

I have a Sony HRC-20 miniDV camcorder and want to transfer my home videos to
my hard drive for burning to DVD. I just installed a firewire card and DVD
burner. The burner came with Nero but I am clueless as to how to use the
capture video function.
It will bring up a capture video window with a preview pane and all that
good stuff but nothing like a "transfer" button or anything. If I hit play
it will play back my tape in the preview pane. Is this "capturing" the video
to the hard drive or merely playing my tape on the computer? It has a record
button but i'm afraid that this will just record what's in front of the
camera and tape over what I already have.

A friend recommended transferring the video via Windows Movie Maker. Any
thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
SP
3 answers Last reply
More about transferring video minidv camcorder harddrive

    Capture is the "lingo" commonly used for transferring video from a camcorder
    to your hard drive. You see your video tape being played and it is saved at
    the same time on your hard drive. One hour of video will take about 13 GB of
    hard drive space.
    "srpettew" <srpettew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Sony HRC-20 miniDV camcorder and want to transfer my home videos
    > my hard drive for burning to DVD. I just installed a firewire card and
    DVD
    > burner. The burner came with Nero but I am clueless as to how to use the
    > capture video function.
    > It will bring up a capture video window with a preview pane and all that
    > good stuff but nothing like a "transfer" button or anything. If I hit
    play
    > it will play back my tape in the preview pane. Is this "capturing" the
    video
    > to the hard drive or merely playing my tape on the computer? It has a
    record
    > button but i'm afraid that this will just record what's in front of the
    > camera and tape over what I already have.
    >
    > A friend recommended transferring the video via Windows Movie Maker. Any
    > thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > SP

    thank you for the input. i found the windows movie maker interface much
    easier than the nero.
    "Yves Alarie" wrote:

    > Capture is the "lingo" commonly used for transferring video from a camcorder
    > to your hard drive. You see your video tape being played and it is saved at
    > the same time on your hard drive. One hour of video will take about 13 GB of
    > hard drive space.
    > "srpettew" <srpettew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a Sony HRC-20 miniDV camcorder and want to transfer my home videos
    > > my hard drive for burning to DVD. I just installed a firewire card and
    > DVD
    > > burner. The burner came with Nero but I am clueless as to how to use the
    > > capture video function.
    > > It will bring up a capture video window with a preview pane and all that
    > > good stuff but nothing like a "transfer" button or anything. If I hit
    > play
    > > it will play back my tape in the preview pane. Is this "capturing" the
    > video
    > > to the hard drive or merely playing my tape on the computer? It has a
    > record
    > > button but i'm afraid that this will just record what's in front of the
    > > camera and tape over what I already have.
    > >
    > > A friend recommended transferring the video via Windows Movie Maker. Any
    > > thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
    > > Thanks,
    > > SP

    If you want an even easier way take a look a www.scenalyzer.com . No
    connections - just an amazing bit of software...

    cheers
    PG

Video MiniDV Hard Drives Camcorders Windows XP