DVD to VHS - Sound But No Picture

dick

I download an MPG file from the Internet (WWII public domain) and
copied it to a DVD+R using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. The DVD plays
fine in my Pioneer DVR 310S player/recorder. I attempted to copy the
DVD from the Pioneer to a VHS tape in my Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS
recorder. The audio recorded fine, but the picture is just a bunch of
horizontal lines, etc. Is this because the Sony can't read the output
from a DVD+R? I would have thought the output of the Pioneer would be
the same no matter what type of DVD media was in it. The output of
the Pioneer goes through a Sony V333-ES receiver on its way to the
Sony VCR. Any idea's?

Dick

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
> I download an MPG file from the Internet (WWII public domain) and
> copied it to a DVD+R using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. The DVD plays
> fine in my Pioneer DVR 310S player/recorder. I attempted to copy the
> DVD from the Pioneer to a VHS tape in my Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS
> recorder. The audio recorded fine, but the picture is just a bunch of
> horizontal lines, etc. Is this because the Sony can't read the output
> from a DVD+R? I would have thought the output of the Pioneer would be
> the same no matter what type of DVD media was in it. The output of
> the Pioneer goes through a Sony V333-ES receiver on its way to the
> Sony VCR. Any idea's?
>
> Dick

A DVD is a DVD. As long as your TV displays it, you can record it, assuming
it's homemade of course.
By any chance, do you have the video line plugged into one of the component
outputs by accident?

Mike

dick

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:05:47 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
<kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>> I download an MPG file from the Internet (WWII public domain) and
>> copied it to a DVD+R using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. The DVD plays
>> fine in my Pioneer DVR 310S player/recorder. I attempted to copy the
>> DVD from the Pioneer to a VHS tape in my Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS
>> recorder. The audio recorded fine, but the picture is just a bunch of
>> horizontal lines, etc. Is this because the Sony can't read the output
>> from a DVD+R? I would have thought the output of the Pioneer would be
>> the same no matter what type of DVD media was in it. The output of
>> the Pioneer goes through a Sony V333-ES receiver on its way to the
>> Sony VCR. Any idea's?
>>
>> Dick
>

>A DVD is a DVD. As long as your TV displays it, you can record it, assuming
>it's homemade of course.
>By any chance, do you have the video line plugged into one of the component
>outputs by accident?
>
>Mike

Using Left/Right audio and S-Video all the way.

Dick

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:05:47 -0400, "Mike Kujbida" wrote:
>> Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>>> I download an MPG file from the Internet (WWII public domain) and
>>> copied it to a DVD+R using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. The DVD
>>> plays fine in my Pioneer DVR 310S player/recorder. I attempted to
>>> copy the DVD from the Pioneer to a VHS tape in my Sony SLV-R1000
>>> S-VHS recorder. The audio recorded fine, but the picture is just a
>>> bunch of horizontal lines, etc. Is this because the Sony can't
>>> read the output from a DVD+R? I would have thought the output of
>>> the Pioneer would be the same no matter what type of DVD media was
>>> in it. The output of the Pioneer goes through a Sony V333-ES
>>> receiver on its way to the Sony VCR. Any idea's?
>>>
>>> Dick
>>

>> A DVD is a DVD. As long as your TV displays it, you can record it,
>> assuming it's homemade of course.
>> By any chance, do you have the video line plugged into one of the
>> component outputs by accident?
>>
>> Mike
>
> Using Left/Right audio and S-Video all the way.
>
> Dick

If you play a commercial DVD, do you see anything at all?
It should be an image that, because of Macrovison, goes
bright-dark-bright-dark, etc.
If not, I might suspect your S cable.

Mike

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in news:3p0670p5jromh0jfgmo182dhfrg9hq55el@4ax.com:

> I download an MPG file from the Internet (WWII public domain) and
> copied it to a DVD+R using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. The DVD plays
> fine in my Pioneer DVR 310S player/recorder. I attempted to copy the
> DVD from the Pioneer to a VHS tape in my Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS
> recorder. The audio recorded fine, but the picture is just a bunch of
> horizontal lines, etc. Is this because the Sony can't read the output
> from a DVD+R? I would have thought the output of the Pioneer would be
> the same no matter what type of DVD media was in it. The output of
> the Pioneer goes through a Sony V333-ES receiver on its way to the
> Sony VCR. Any idea's?

It's not a PAL DVD that you are trying to record with an NTSC VHS recorder
(or the other way round) ?

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

dick

Something is definitely wrong with the setup. I hooked the DVR
directly to the S-VHS and still get the squiggly lines, rolling bars,
etc. I read something in the Pioneer DVR manual about not hooking up
your TV through a VCR. Will have to go back and re-read that part.
It may not even be possible to copy from DVD to VHS with these
components. May have to hook a VCR to my PC.

Dick

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:40:22 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
> Something is definitely wrong with the setup. I hooked the DVR
> directly to the S-VHS and still get the squiggly lines, rolling bars,
> etc. I read something in the Pioneer DVR manual about not hooking up
> your TV through a VCR. Will have to go back and re-read that part.
> It may not even be possible to copy from DVD to VHS with these
> components. May have to hook a VCR to my PC.
>
> Dick

Did you try a new S cable?
Does it do this with another home video clip?
I know you can't hook a DVD player to a VCR and copy commercial movies but
homemade ones should be OK. The only other psosibility that comes to mind
is that the clip you downloaded is copy protected somehow.

Mike

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:40:22 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
> <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> If you play a commercial DVD, do you see anything at all?
>> It should be an image that, because of Macrovison, goes
>> bright-dark-bright-dark, etc.
>> If not, I might suspect your S cable.
>>
>> Mike

dick

I have tried different cables and different VCR's. If I am watching
the VCR output on the TV, when I plug in the video cable (S or RCA)
the screen immediately goes out of synch. This is with not even
playing a DVD. I have also tried home movie DVD's. It's really
weird. I know the output of the DVR is OK as we use it all the time
to watch DVD's. And I know the VCR's are OK. I called Pioneer tech
support and they have never heard of that problem. Suggested sending
it in, but it works fine otherwise, and I hate to be without it.

Dick

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:08:43 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
<kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>> Something is definitely wrong with the setup. I hooked the DVR
>> directly to the S-VHS and still get the squiggly lines, rolling bars,
>> etc. I read something in the Pioneer DVR manual about not hooking up
>> your TV through a VCR. Will have to go back and re-read that part.
>> It may not even be possible to copy from DVD to VHS with these
>> components. May have to hook a VCR to my PC.
>>
>> Dick
>

>Did you try a new S cable?
>Does it do this with another home video clip?
>I know you can't hook a DVD player to a VCR and copy commercial movies but
>homemade ones should be OK. The only other psosibility that comes to mind
>is that the clip you downloaded is copy protected somehow.
>
>Mike
>
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:40:22 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
>> <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> If you play a commercial DVD, do you see anything at all?
>>> It should be an image that, because of Macrovison, goes
>>> bright-dark-bright-dark, etc.
>>> If not, I might suspect your S cable.
>>>
>>> Mike

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in

> I download an MPG file from the Internet (WWII public domain) and
> copied it to a DVD+R using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. The DVD
> plays fine in my Pioneer DVR 310S player/recorder. I attempted to
> copy the DVD from the Pioneer to a VHS tape in my Sony SLV-R1000
> S-VHS recorder. The audio recorded fine, but the picture is just
> a bunch of horizontal lines, etc. Is this because the Sony can't
> read the output from a DVD+R? I would have thought the output of
> the Pioneer would be the same no matter what type of DVD media was
> in it. The output of the Pioneer goes through a Sony V333-ES
> receiver on its way to the Sony VCR. Any idea's?
>
> Dick

Here's an idea that I just thought of (brain in slow mode), and I
didn't see it in any of the other replies, so here goes.

Some devices (e.g. receivers, TV sets, ...) seem to have a switch
embedded in the S-Video input socket that turns off the composite
video input on that device when the S-Video cable is plugged in.
This happens whether or not there is a signal on the lead.

You haven't said how your system is cabled together. Is it possible
that some sort of switch like I just described is shutting off the
video you're trying to record?

If somewhere in the chain from DVD player to receiver to VCR you
have both composite and S-Video plugged in to the same device's
jacks (in either the input or output side!) this may come into
effect.

It's a wild guess, but ya never know :)

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

dick

Thanks for the thought, but I have eliminated all those problems by
just connecting the DVR directly to the VCR. And no, I'm not using
both the composite and S-Video at the same time. The mystery
continues.

Dick