Orange & yellowish coloring added to pics in GYM's

I do a lot of Youth sports shooting ine GYM's.

It seems like in a lot of the older gym's which have

a high gloss wood floor and certain lighting I get

an orange or sometimes yellow image. Short of using filters for this

are ther any exposure setings which may eliminate this.

If filters are the only way to go what kind would I need.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

are you shooting film or digital; still or video?

if digital, try playing around with white balance.

Ronbo <ronbo@nowhere.com> wrote:
>I do a lot of Youth sports shooting ine GYM's.
>
>It seems like in a lot of the older gym's which have
>
>a high gloss wood floor and certain lighting I get
>
>an orange or sometimes yellow image. Short of using filters for this
>
>are ther any exposure setings which may eliminate this.
>
>If filters are the only way to go what kind would I need.

Try your autmatic white balance when pointing mainly at the floor if you
think the floors are causing the light balance problem. Don't forget to
correct it again after.

"Ronbo" <ronbo@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I do a lot of Youth sports shooting ine GYM's.
>
> It seems like in a lot of the older gym's which have
>
> a high gloss wood floor and certain lighting I get
>
> an orange or sometimes yellow image. Short of using filters for this
>
> are ther any exposure setings which may eliminate this.
>
> If filters are the only way to go what kind would I need.

"Ronbo" <ronbo@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I do a lot of Youth sports shooting ine GYM's.
>
> It seems like in a lot of the older gym's which have
>
> a high gloss wood floor and certain lighting I get
>
> an orange or sometimes yellow image. Short of using filters for this
>
> are ther any exposure setings which may eliminate this.
>
> If filters are the only way to go what kind would I need.

The Orange & yellowish coloring is produced by the tungsten lighting in
older gyms.

If film use a 80A filter. Which is a Tungsten light to Daylight film
conversion filter.

If you see that the gym is lit with those old 500 watt bulbs instead of the
newer mercury vapor lamps, try the Tungsten light White Balance if you are
using a digital camera.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Gymmy Bob wrote:
> Try your autmatic white balance when pointing mainly at the floor if you
> think the floors are causing the light balance problem. Don't forget to
> correct it again after.
>
> "Ronbo" <ronbo@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>I do a lot of Youth sports shooting ine GYM's.
>>
>>It seems like in a lot of the older gym's which have
>>
>>a high gloss wood floor and certain lighting I get
>>
>>an orange or sometimes yellow image. Short of using filters for this
>>
>>are ther any exposure setings which may eliminate this.
>>
>>If filters are the only way to go what kind would I need.

I'm using digital. Thank you all for the help.

Great! What does that have to do with white balancing other than make it
easier?