File security - public access points

I have a small wireless home network, and can access the internet and share
files between machines. I'm a little worried about possible access to
personal files in a public environment, at airports etc. What precautions
should I take to ensure that data remains safe while using public access
points?

Thanks in Advance

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

bar

MAke sure that any 'Shared' folders have password protection.