Closed Captioning on VHS

I'm pretty sure you can't but I promised I would check: is there any way
to pull close-captioning off of a VHS tape (for conversion to DVD)?
Which, of course, would mean that there was a way to put
close-captioning onto VHS in the first place. Thanks.

Bill Van Dyk <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote:

>I'm pretty sure you can't but I promised I would check: is there any way
>to pull close-captioning off of a VHS tape (for conversion to DVD)?
> Which, of course, would mean that there was a way to put
>close-captioning onto VHS in the first place.

VHS tapes can certainly contain captioning information, but I'm not
aware of any way to convert it into subtitles for a DVD (I expect it
would require special equipment). If the subtitles were being
displayed during VHS playback, you could capture it that way for DVD
conversion, but then you wouldn't be able to turn them off while
playing the DVD as they would be part of the video.

Hactar

In article <rSkdc.1645$zj3.796@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Bill Van Dyk <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote:
>
> >I'm pretty sure you can't but I promised I would check: is there any way
> >to pull close-captioning off of a VHS tape (for conversion to DVD)?
> > Which, of course, would mean that there was a way to put
> >close-captioning onto VHS in the first place.
>
> VHS tapes can certainly contain captioning information,

Have I just had a series of lousy VCRs, or been terminally clueless?
I've never been able to show CC data from a VCR.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

Logic is a systematic method of coming to
the wrong conclusion with confidence.

ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge (Hactar) wrote:

>Have I just had a series of lousy VCRs, or been terminally clueless?
>I've never been able to show CC data from a VCR.

All my VCRs are Sonys. I was surprised to find that even those I
purchased in the late 80's or early 90's support CC. They don't have
any controls for it, but if you enable it on the television while
playing back the tape, it works. Of course, the program on the tape
must include the CC information, and not all of them have it (e.g.
I've noticed that South Park doesn't have it).

It just occurred to me that what I said in my earlier post may need
some clarification. Since the *display* of the CC information is a
function of the television, it might not be so easy to capture the
text along with the video (you would probably need to go through a TV
set that has a video out connector assuming that output would include
the text).

Hactar

In article <kPGdc.2680$zj3.39@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge (Hactar) wrote:
>
> >Have I just had a series of lousy VCRs, or been terminally clueless?
> >I've never been able to show CC data from a VCR.
>
> All my VCRs are Sonys. I was surprised to find that even those I
> purchased in the late 80's or early 90's support CC. They don't have
> any controls for it, but if you enable it on the television while
> playing back the tape, it works. Of course, the program on the tape
> must include the CC information, and not all of them have it (e.g.
> I've noticed that South Park doesn't have it).
>
> It just occurred to me that what I said in my earlier post may need
> some clarification. Since the *display* of the CC information is a
> function of the television, it might not be so easy to capture the
> text along with the video (you would probably need to go through a TV
> set that has a video out connector assuming that output would include
> the text).

Do separate yellow/red/white coaxial RCA-type cords carry the CC data, or
only composite? My VCRs have usually been connected through separate wires
(because it looks better), whenever possible.

I have (built, using XP) a PVR, and the previous software (ATI something)
used to store CC data in its proprietary format (*.VCR), but the current
software (Beyond TV 3) doesn't, in its MPEG-2 files. It was very handy.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad

ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge (Hactar) wrote:

>Do separate yellow/red/white coaxial RCA-type cords carry the CC data, or
>only composite? My VCRs have usually been connected through separate wires
>(because it looks better), whenever possible.

Are the red and white lines used for audio? If so, then I think the
yellow is called composite, and it does carry the CC data from my
VCRs. If you're talking about component video, I don't know; I've
never seen a VCR that has that type of output although DVD players
typically do. Coaxial cable is the kind used for cable TV or antenna
connections (with the F-type connectors that usually screw on); my
VCRs also send the CC information through that.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:04:46 GMT, ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge
(Hactar) wrote:

>In article <rSkdc.1645$zj3.796@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> Bill Van Dyk <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm pretty sure you can't but I promised I would check: is there any way
>> >to pull close-captioning off of a VHS tape (for conversion to DVD)?
>> > Which, of course, would mean that there was a way to put
>> >close-captioning onto VHS in the first place.
>>
>> VHS tapes can certainly contain captioning information,
>
>Have I just had a series of lousy VCRs, or been terminally clueless?
>I've never been able to show CC data from a VCR.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the CC information encoded on
videotape is accessed by the television and not the VCR. Regardless
of what kind of VCR you have, if your television doesn't offer Closed
Captioning, it will not display.

Bill Van Dyk <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you can't but I promised I would check: is there any way
> to pull close-captioning off of a VHS tape (for conversion to DVD)?
> Which, of course, would mean that there was a way to put
> close-captioning onto VHS in the first place. Thanks.

Sure--you just need the right software and hardware. On Windows, Microsoft
supplies pretty much all the stuff you need to view closed caption
information with the right driver support (all the drivers I've actually
used support CC), but capturing to a file requires software that Microsoft
does not supply. ATI does supply the needed software in their Multimedia
Center (to capture). Conversion to DVD subtitles is a different problem
which I've never attempted.

Hactar

In article <fIMdc.3009$zj3.2429@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge (Hactar) wrote:
>
> >Do separate yellow/red/white coaxial RCA-type cords carry the CC data, or
> >only composite? My VCRs have usually been connected through separate wires
> >(because it looks better), whenever possible.
>
> Are the red and white lines used for audio?

Yes. R/W/Y = right/left/video, respectively.

> If so, then I think the yellow is called composite, and it does carry the
> CC data from my VCRs.

Hm. I'll have to try again, on a show I know is closed-captioned when
viewed live.

> If you're talking about component video, I don't know; I've never seen a
> VCR that has that type of output although DVD players typically do.

The DVD player might have component video (I doubt it, as it's a cheapo
model), but I haven't looked closely, as nothing else has it.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be
adequately explained by stupidity." Derived from Robert Heinlein

Hactar

In article <s0qe701mja0p8a3be921tdksa8d8gdskoi@4ax.com>,
Jon <jonjunkhuntr@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:04:46 GMT, ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge
> (Hactar) wrote:
>
> >In article <rSkdc.1645$zj3.796@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> > <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> >> VHS tapes can certainly contain captioning information,
> >
> >Have I just had a series of lousy VCRs, or been terminally clueless?
> >I've never been able to show CC data from a VCR.
>

> I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the CC information encoded on
> videotape is accessed by the television and not the VCR. Regardless
> of what kind of VCR you have, if your television doesn't offer Closed
> Captioning, it will not display.

The TV definitely does, as I believe most TVs sold in the last $BIGNUM years
are required to. The only question is, does the VCR reproduce that part
of the signal (IIRC it's in the retrace interval).

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

Rich

Closed caption is part of the video signal. If it exists, it's on the 21st
horizontal line (Of a standard NTSC signal). I don't know if VCR's normally
copy the information when recording. I have seen commercial VHS videos with
the "CC" logo on them. First you need to see if the tape even has the
closed caption data. Play the tape into a TV that has a closed caption
decoder. You may have to use the RF output (antenna out on the VCR, into
the TV antenna port).

Rich

"Bill Van Dyk" <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure you can't but I promised I would check: is there any way
> to pull close-captioning off of a VHS tape (for conversion to DVD)?
> Which, of course, would mean that there was a way to put
> close-captioning onto VHS in the first place. Thanks.

Rich

Got to thinking... A dangerous thing at times.

"Closed captions are sent directly from the DVD player to the television
set.
The DVD player cannot turn the closed caption signal on or off.
The decoding of the closed caption takes place solely by the television set.
A computer DVD player cannot decode the closed caption.
The ability of most DVD players to pass along already existing closed
captions embedded in an NTSC signal greatly simplifies the production of
DVD-Video discs that must comply with ADA requirements."

http://stream.uen.org/medsol/dvd/home.html#3

My previous computer had an ATI Wonder card with TV tuner which you could
see the caption on the screen or send it to a text file.