IEEE 1394 Camera Detection Problem

I have a Sharp VL-23 miniDV camera.
I am running WinXP SP2 with a recognized IEEE 1394 firewaire card with Texas
Instruments OHCI Complient Controller.

I cannot get my machine to recognize the camera when turned on and in
playback (VTR?) mode. I was told that by upgrading to XP SP2 (from my new
SP1 machine) would solve the problem. It hasn't.

I was able to successfully capture video on my Win98SE machine which has
since been laid to rest. I can not isolate the problem as an OS, camera (no
software is available for it), card, or cable issue. However, I suspect it to
be an OS issue soley from the fact everthing worked on the Win98SE machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to have this up and running
for a class I am in.
11 answers Last reply
More about ieee 1394 camera detection problem

    Connect the camcorder to your computer. You will hear a sound indicating the
    connection.
    Start Movie Maker (Click on Start>All
    Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Movie Maker).
    After Movie Maker opens, look at the menu on the left and click on Capture
    video. Follow the instructions on the screen.
    "AHarmon" <AHarmon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Sharp VL-23 miniDV camera.
    > I am running WinXP SP2 with a recognized IEEE 1394 firewaire card with
    Texas
    > Instruments OHCI Complient Controller.
    >
    > I cannot get my machine to recognize the camera when turned on and in
    > playback (VTR?) mode. I was told that by upgrading to XP SP2 (from my new
    > SP1 machine) would solve the problem. It hasn't.
    >
    > I was able to successfully capture video on my Win98SE machine which has
    > since been laid to rest. I can not isolate the problem as an OS, camera
    (no
    > software is available for it), card, or cable issue. However, I suspect it
    > be an OS issue soley from the fact everthing worked on the Win98SE
    machine.

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to have this up and
    running
    > for a class I am in.

    "Connect the camcorder to your computer. You will hear a sound indicating the
    connection."

    I had connected the camera to my machine but I hear no sound nor see any
    change indicating the connection.

    "After Movie Maker opens, look at the menu on the left and click on Capture
    video. Follow the instructions on the screen."

    I had run Movie Maker, clicked on Capture Video and it says there is no
    device connected. Any further ideas anyone?

    Are you sure your fireware card is working properly?

    Right Click on My Computer
    Click on Manage, then click on Device Manager
    Make sure you don't have a yellow ! by your card
    If you do, it may be a drivers issue and I would download and install the
    latest drivers, if not, then your card is working good
    I would then look at your camcorder and/or cable you are using to connect,
    make sure everything is connected correctly and try another cable if you can

    "AHarmon" wrote:

    > "Connect the camcorder to your computer. You will hear a sound indicating the
    > connection."
    >
    > I had connected the camera to my machine but I hear no sound nor see any
    > change indicating the connection.
    >
    > "After Movie Maker opens, look at the menu on the left and click on Capture
    > video. Follow the instructions on the screen."
    >
    > I had run Movie Maker, clicked on Capture Video and it says there is no
    > device connected. Any further ideas anyone?

    "Are you sure your fireware card is working properly?"

    Yes, it worked on an old Win98SE machine I had. Not only would the card be
    recognized, but the camera as well would be recognized upon connection. I can
    not get this to occur on my WinXP machine with either SP1 or 2.

    Any further ideas, anyone?

    And ensure the camera is powered by A/C power and NOT on its internal
    battery.
    www.coribright.com

    "swirlygirl" <swirlygirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Are you sure your fireware card is working properly?
    >
    > Right Click on My Computer
    > Click on Manage, then click on Device Manager
    > Make sure you don't have a yellow ! by your card
    > If you do, it may be a drivers issue and I would download and install the
    > latest drivers, if not, then your card is working good
    > I would then look at your camcorder and/or cable you are using to connect,
    > make sure everything is connected correctly and try another cable if you
    > can
    >

    > "AHarmon" wrote:
    >
    >> "Connect the camcorder to your computer. You will hear a sound indicating
    >> the
    >> connection."
    >>
    >> I had connected the camera to my machine but I hear no sound nor see any
    >> change indicating the connection.
    >>
    >> "After Movie Maker opens, look at the menu on the left and click on
    >> Capture
    >> video. Follow the instructions on the screen."
    >>
    >> I had run Movie Maker, clicked on Capture Video and it says there is no
    >> device connected. Any further ideas anyone?

    All we know from your response is that the firewire card WAS working
    correctly on another PC. You do not tell us whether it has EVER worked
    correctly on the XP PC..... You might try turning off the PC, removing the
    firewire card from its current PCI slot and inserting it in another PCI slot
    then seeing if XP now reinstalls it correctly.

    www.coribright.com

    > "Are you sure your fireware card is working properly?"
    >
    > Yes, it worked on an old Win98SE machine I had. Not only would the card be
    > recognized, but the camera as well would be recognized upon connection. I
    > can
    > not get this to occur on my WinXP machine with either SP1 or 2.
    >
    > Any further ideas, anyone?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "All we know from your response is that the firewire card WAS working
    correctly on another PC. You do not tell us whether it has EVER worked
    correctly on the XP PC....."

    I apologize. I thought my initial post indicated as such. I said, "I cannot
    get my machine to recognize the camera when turned on and in playback (VTR?)
    mode. I was told that by upgrading to XP SP2 (from my new SP1 machine) would
    solve the problem. It hasn't." It has not worked on XP SP1 or SP2, ever.

    "You might try turning off the PC, removing the firewire card from its
    current PCI slot and inserting it in another PCI slot then seeing if XP now
    reinstalls it correctly."

    I will try that and let you know if it works. Thank you.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "And ensure the camera is powered by A/C power and NOT on its internal
    battery."

    In my attempts the camera has always been powered by the A/C adapter.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "You might try turning off the PC, removing the firewire card from its
    current PCI slot and inserting it in another PCI slot then seeing if XP now
    reinstalls it correctly."

    That worked. I took for granted that another PCI slot wouldn't matter. Boy
    is there egg on my face. Thanks for the help!
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Just curious, why do the camera have to be powed by A/C power and not a
    battery? Does this go for all camcorders?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > And ensure the camera is powered by A/C power and NOT on its internal
    > battery.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "swirlygirl" <swirlygirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you sure your fireware card is working properly?
    > >
    > > Right Click on My Computer
    > > Click on Manage, then click on Device Manager
    > > Make sure you don't have a yellow ! by your card
    > > If you do, it may be a drivers issue and I would download and install the
    > > latest drivers, if not, then your card is working good
    > > I would then look at your camcorder and/or cable you are using to connect,
    > > make sure everything is connected correctly and try another cable if you
    > > can
    > >

    > > "AHarmon" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Connect the camcorder to your computer. You will hear a sound indicating
    > >> the
    > >> connection."
    > >>
    > >> I had connected the camera to my machine but I hear no sound nor see any
    > >> change indicating the connection.
    > >>
    > >> "After Movie Maker opens, look at the menu on the left and click on
    > >> Capture
    > >> video. Follow the instructions on the screen."
    > >>
    > >> I had run Movie Maker, clicked on Capture Video and it says there is no
    > >> device connected. Any further ideas anyone?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    My only guess is it may detect the additional hookup and draw more power.
    Knowing the battery may not have the power needed, it will then look soley to
    the AC power at that point. Again this is mere speculation on my part.

    "Dedrick" wrote:

    > Just curious, why do the camera have to be powed by A/C power and not a
    > battery? Does this go for all camcorders?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > And ensure the camera is powered by A/C power and NOT on its internal
    > > battery.
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "swirlygirl" <swirlygirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Are you sure your fireware card is working properly?
    > > >
    > > > Right Click on My Computer
    > > > Click on Manage, then click on Device Manager
    > > > Make sure you don't have a yellow ! by your card
    > > > If you do, it may be a drivers issue and I would download and install the
    > > > latest drivers, if not, then your card is working good
    > > > I would then look at your camcorder and/or cable you are using to connect,
    > > > make sure everything is connected correctly and try another cable if you
    > > > can

Video Detection Cameras Windows XP