Huffyuv, mpeg4, interlacing, capture info needed, PLEASE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 9, 2004 2:12:39 AM

Hi,
I tried to capture to huffyuv and compress to Divx (instead
of capping to MPEG2 then divx) but i'm not that impressed by the results.
Some shows look really good though (ER, law & order...).
Here's my take on this : some programmes (those 2 ones for instance) are
shown non interlaced
and you can capture/convert them to mpeg4 and they'll still be broadcast
quality, other shows (most of them) will be interlaced and your captures
will look blurry. i've tried several deinterlacers but the results are
disappointing. The Huffyuv avi's don't look too bad as far as i can work
out (zommplayer can't play these files very well, not enough CPU).

If anyone has managed to capture to broadcast quality, please tell me
your method. I really need your input.

I capture from a satellite decoder via a composite lead, and it's UK
television so pal.

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 2:12:40 AM

steve wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried to capture to huffyuv and compress to Divx (instead
> of capping to MPEG2 then divx) but i'm not that impressed by the results.
> Some shows look really good though (ER, law & order...).
> Here's my take on this : some programmes (those 2 ones for instance) are
> shown non interlaced
> and you can capture/convert them to mpeg4 and they'll still be broadcast
> quality, other shows (most of them) will be interlaced and your captures
> will look blurry.

Try deinterlacing with KernelDeint for AVISynth
It gives the best results out of any that I've tried.

-WD
April 9, 2004 4:00:08 AM

Will Dormann wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I tried to capture to huffyuv and compress to Divx (instead
>> of capping to MPEG2 then divx) but i'm not that impressed by the results.
>> Some shows look really good though (ER, law & order...).
>> Here's my take on this : some programmes (those 2 ones for instance)
>> are shown non interlaced
>> and you can capture/convert them to mpeg4 and they'll still be broadcast
>> quality, other shows (most of them) will be interlaced and your
>> captures will look blurry.
>

> Try deinterlacing with KernelDeint for AVISynth
> It gives the best results out of any that I've tried.

will try,
how about the rest of my post though;
can you capture interlaced show, convert them to mpeg4 and have them
look almost as good as they do on TV.
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 4:00:09 AM

steve wrote:

> will try,
> how about the rest of my post though;
> can you capture interlaced show, convert them to mpeg4 and have them
> look almost as good as they do on TV.

Even though you probably don't have MythTV, you can take a look at my
MythHelper page. It's got download links for helpful utilities, and it
also has templates for virtualdub that will give you nice looking
output. (just pick up the source code package)

http://mythhelper.sourceforge.net

-WD
!