Transferring video to PC using Firewire on Windows 98

Hi

Can anyone tell me what I need to transfer from my JVC-DVL20 digital camera
to PC using Firewire and Windows 98. I know there is some pretty clever
video editing products around but I just want something simple. Having
bought the Firewire card I was hoping to at least get the vids onto disk,
but failed the first hurdle.

Thanks in advance anyone

Rick

Rick,

> Can anyone tell me what I need to transfer from my JVC-DVL20 digital
> camera to PC using Firewire and Windows 98. I know there is some
> pretty clever video editing products around but I just want something
> simple. Having bought the Firewire card I was hoping to at least get
> the vids onto disk, but failed the first hurdle.

Assuming you have the firewire card installed and the camera connected, I
use a program called "Scenealyzer Live". It seems to maintain audio/video
sync very well, doesn't drop frames, and is able to split the video into
smaller segments (i.e. 2 gig or 4 gig to avoid the file size limits of
Win98) as it transfers.

As for editing, I use Adobe Premiere because it came with an older capture
card I bought. If all you want to do is make cuts and no fades or other
transitions, you could even use VirtualDub.

I use Tmpegenc 2.5 to encode the video to MPEG2 for creating DVD's.

I use DVD-Lab to author and burn the actual DVD disks.

Take care,

Anthony