DLINK Repeater setup

Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend my range with a
DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.

The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSID of the
624.

The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only the 624.

I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. As soon
as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my network connections
with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .." the
2100AP.

Tech support suggested using a different connection manager other than
Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card) and
Boingo but both give me the same problems.

Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about dlink repeater setup

    Have you thought about setting up the second access point as an access point
    rather than a repeater? A repeater will cut your available bandwidth in
    half because it has to retransmit everything it does. I thought about a
    repeater for my setup, but decided that a second access point was the way to
    go. It has worked well and I can roam between locations with my laptop
    without being disconnected.

    Just be sure to setup each access point with identical settings (same
    encryption scheme, etc.). The differences will be of course that each
    access point will need its own unique IP address so it can be configured.
    You also want to use a different channel for each. When I setup my Linksys
    access points, the documentation said to use the same channel number. It
    worked doing that, but everyone else has said that too will limit bandwidth
    because of interference. Therefore, I used a different channel and
    everything is working well. When selecting channels, use 1, 6, or 11. If
    you use channel 1 for one access point, use either 6 or 11 for the other
    access point. These channels do not overlap with each other. I will not go
    into the explanation here about overlap as you can search google and find
    that out.

    Jeff

    "Display Name Here" <mike_d2@netlane.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend my range with
    > DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.
    >
    > The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSID of the
    > 624.
    >
    > The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only the 624.
    >
    > I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. As soon
    > as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my network connections
    > with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .." the
    > 2100AP.
    >
    > Tech support suggested using a different connection manager other than
    > Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card) and
    > Boingo but both give me the same problems.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    One other thing -- make sure the SSIDs on each access point are the same.

    Jeff

    "Jeff Durham" <jdurham.nospam@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Have you thought about setting up the second access point as an access
    > point rather than a repeater? A repeater will cut your available
    > bandwidth in half because it has to retransmit everything it does. I
    > thought about a repeater for my setup, but decided that a second access
    > point was the way to go. It has worked well and I can roam between
    > locations with my laptop without being disconnected.
    >
    > Just be sure to setup each access point with identical settings (same
    > encryption scheme, etc.). The differences will be of course that each
    > access point will need its own unique IP address so it can be configured.
    > You also want to use a different channel for each. When I setup my
    > Linksys access points, the documentation said to use the same channel
    > number. It worked doing that, but everyone else has said that too will
    > limit bandwidth because of interference. Therefore, I used a different
    > channel and everything is working well. When selecting channels, use 1,
    > 6, or 11. If you use channel 1 for one access point, use either 6 or 11
    > for the other access point. These channels do not overlap with each
    > other. I will not go into the explanation here about overlap as you can
    > search google and find that out.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "Display Name Here" <mike_d2@netlane.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend my range
    >> with a
    >> DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.
    >>
    >> The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSID of
    >> the
    >> 624.
    >>
    >> The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only the 624.
    >>
    >> I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. As
    >> soon
    >> as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my network connections
    >> with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .." the
    >> 2100AP.
    >>
    >> Tech support suggested using a different connection manager other than
    >> Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card) and
    >> Boingo but both give me the same problems.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    FYI

    The firmware 1.03 does not work in repeater mode, DLINK recommends
    downgrading to 1.02 until the problem is fixed.

    Cheers

    "Display Name Here" <mike_d2@netlane.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend my range with
    > DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.
    >
    > The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSID of the
    > 624.
    >
    > The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only the 624.
    >
    > I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. As soon
    > as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my network connections
    > with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .." the
    > 2100AP.
    >
    > Tech support suggested using a different connection manager other than
    > Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card) and
    > Boingo but both give me the same problems.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    A repeater will cut your available bandwidth in
    > half because it has to retransmit everything it does.

    Can you explain this in more detail please?

    The DWL-2100 will work in repeater mode. But there are a few tricks. I
    have mine working with firmware 1.03. Have not tried the 2.0 yet.. but
    hear it works well.

    The trick for me was with the client. For some reason I have to set my
    client (Intel Pro 2100) to use a Mandatory AP and put in the repeaters
    MAC. So I have 2 profiles in my client. One goes to the main AP and
    the other goes to the repeater. The repeater one is set for a
    Mandatory AP with the repeaters MAC. It now works.

    Also be sure you have SSID broadcast turned on in the main AP (624) and
    make sure you enter the SSID in the repeater. Some say you do not have
    to... but I found that if it does not have the SSID entered the
    auto-switch between main AP and repeater does not work.

    --
    swales

Connection D-Link Wireless Networking