Windows Media Player hangs when i play movie files

Whenever i try opening some of my movie files(avi,mpg,wmv), Windows Media
Player hangs and the movie it was playing freezes after about 1 second of
playing.
I noticed that this doesn't happen whenever i play most of my other movie
files, but only certain ones.
Why is this so? Can a kind soul please tell me how to rectify the problem?

I'm using Windows Media Player 9. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition.

Which ones are you having trouble with and which play from the list you
supply, or is it just some avi's some wmv's some mpeg's play and some don't.
In which case have you checked the file codecs used to ensure they are the
same.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media