Need Video Capture Card Advice

Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
opinions.

For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:

1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
website
2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.

Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
these cards will be greatly appreciated.

Janis
5 answers Last reply
More about need video capture card advice

    I would suggest trying this place. They have quite a few user opinions and
    suggestions.

    http://www.videohelp.com/

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "Summerblue" <Summerblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
    > opinions.
    >
    > For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
    >
    > 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
    > website
    > 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
    > Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards
    are
    > a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
    >
    > Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
    > these cards will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Janis

    Actually for any of the video capture cards,one only needs the card and
    the drivers from the mfg,for captureing the video you can/should download
    the windows encoder9 series,its utilitys,and the codecs,all available at
    encoders home page.You cant beat the software,most cards software is
    simply junk.

    "Summerblue" wrote:

    > Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
    > opinions.
    >
    > For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
    >
    > 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
    > website
    > 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
    > Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
    > a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
    >
    > Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
    > these cards will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Janis

    Summerblue,

    I have recently captured my VHS wedding video to my system them burned it
    to DVD. I used Pinnacle USB Movie Box (with Pinnacle 9.) Great solution, no
    card needed, only need USB port (preferably USB 2.0 but USB 1.X will
    work),and the appropriate cables,makes a nice mobile solution.

    "Lax Pegasus" <Lax Pegasus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Summerblue,
    >
    > I have recently captured my VHS wedding video to my system them burned
    it
    > to DVD. I used Pinnacle USB Movie Box (with Pinnacle 9.) Great solution,
    no
    > card needed, only need USB port (preferably USB 2.0 but USB 1.X will
    > work),and the appropriate cables,makes a nice mobile solution.

    Actually, you will probably NOT be able to capture to D1 res
    (704 x 480) that's necessary for DVD's when you use this device
    with USB 1.1, 1.1 doesn't have the bandwith necessary.

    Be sure to check at the manufacurer's website for info.

    > "Summerblue" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your
    professional
    > > opinions.
    > >
    > > For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
    > >
    > > 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on
    circuitcity.com's
    > > website
    > > 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video
    Capture
    > > Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards
    are
    > > a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
    > >
    > > Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those
    using
    > > these cards will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Janis

    >> For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
    >>
    >> 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
    >> website
    >> 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
    >> Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
    >> a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
    >>
    >> Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
    >> these cards will be greatly appreciated.

    > I have recently captured my VHS wedding video to my system them burned it
    >to DVD. I used Pinnacle USB Movie Box (with Pinnacle 9.) Great solution, no
    >card needed, only need USB port (preferably USB 2.0 but USB 1.X will
    >work),and the appropriate cables,makes a nice mobile solution.

    You might also consider a digital camcorder with an analog-to-digital
    converter. Just connect your VCR to it and output DV quality video to
    your computer via Firewire. I have a Sony TRV460 that I got at BestBuy
    for $282. (plus a $25. BB gift certificate). IMO, a camcorder will do
    a better A/V conversion than a PC card or USB2 external device. And
    this solution is also very mobile.

Video TV Video Capture Windows XP