Need Video Capture Card Advice

January 18, 2005 4:39:07 AM

Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
opinions.

For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:

1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
website
2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.

Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
these cards will be greatly appreciated.

Janis
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:18:05 AM

I would suggest trying this place. They have quite a few user opinions and
suggestions.

http://www.videohelp.com/

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Summerblue" <Summerblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
> opinions.
>
> For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
>
> 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
> website
> 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
> Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards
are
> a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
>
> Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
> these cards will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Janis

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:17:01 PM

Actually for any of the video capture cards,one only needs the card and
the drivers from the mfg,for captureing the video you can/should download
the windows encoder9 series,its utilitys,and the codecs,all available at
encoders home page.You cant beat the software,most cards software is
simply junk.

"Summerblue" wrote:

> Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
> opinions.
>
> For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
>
> 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
> website
> 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
> Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
> a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
>
> Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
> these cards will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Janis

February 19, 2005 12:13:02 PM

Summerblue,

I have recently captured my VHS wedding video to my system them burned it
to DVD. I used Pinnacle USB Movie Box (with Pinnacle 9.) Great solution, no
card needed, only need USB port (preferably USB 2.0 but USB 1.X will
work),and the appropriate cables,makes a nice mobile solution.

"Summerblue" wrote:

> Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your professional
> opinions.
>
> For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
>
> 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
> website
> 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
> Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
> a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
>
> Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
> these cards will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Janis

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:29:31 PM

"Lax Pegasus" <Lax Pegasus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Summerblue,
>
> I have recently captured my VHS wedding video to my system them burned
it
> to DVD. I used Pinnacle USB Movie Box (with Pinnacle 9.) Great solution,
no
> card needed, only need USB port (preferably USB 2.0 but USB 1.X will
> work),and the appropriate cables,makes a nice mobile solution.

Actually, you will probably NOT be able to capture to D1 res
(704 x 480) that's necessary for DVD's when you use this device
with USB 1.1, 1.1 doesn't have the bandwith necessary.

Be sure to check at the manufacurer's website for info.

> "Summerblue" wrote:
>
> > Hi all. Since I'm a complete newbie to video, I'd like your
professional
> > opinions.
> >
> > For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
> >
> > 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on
circuitcity.com's
> > website
> > 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video
Capture
> > Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards
are
> > a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
> >
> > Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those
using
> > these cards will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Janis

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:15:11 PM

>> For converting VHS to DVD, I've narrowed done my purchase to 2 cards:
>>
>> 1) Hauppauge TV-PVR-150 which has gotten A+ feedback on circuitcity.com's
>> website
>> 2) TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition, PC Stereo-TV Tuner-Video Capture
>> Card. Don't know much about this, but PCMag noted that the Wonder cards are
>> a little soft in definition, but like the idea of the remote.
>>
>> Any opinions/feedback from those more knowledgeable than I and those using
>> these cards will be greatly appreciated.

> I have recently captured my VHS wedding video to my system them burned it
>to DVD. I used Pinnacle USB Movie Box (with Pinnacle 9.) Great solution, no
>card needed, only need USB port (preferably USB 2.0 but USB 1.X will
>work),and the appropriate cables,makes a nice mobile solution.

You might also consider a digital camcorder with an analog-to-digital
converter. Just connect your VCR to it and output DV quality video to
your computer via Firewire. I have a Sony TRV460 that I got at BestBuy
for $282. (plus a $25. BB gift certificate). IMO, a camcorder will do
a better A/V conversion than a PC card or USB2 external device. And
this solution is also very mobile.
!