Fram dropping.. what is normal

I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
> done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
> 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?

Yup. You should have zero dropped frames.

What are you capturing and how are you capturing it?

"Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
> done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
> 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?

None is normal for me ever since I figured out that my cable modem was
derailing the capture.

Jeanne

You shouldn't see any dropped frames. What is your configuration? What are
you using for capture? Are you capturing analog or digital?

"bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> > I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
> > done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
> > 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?
>
> None is normal for me ever since I figured out that my cable modem was
> derailing the capture.
>
> Jeanne

"Harry Putnam" wrote ...
> I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then
> I've only done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated)
> I notice 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video.
> Is this abnormal?

Yes it is abnormal. Normal is zero.

There are many many factors to setting up a computer to
reliably capture video without dropping frames. Whole
books could be filled with advice (and likely have been).

Make sure nothing (repeat NOTHING) else is running on
your computer while you are capturing video. I do my
video work on a separate machine that does only video,
but I have found "enditall" to be helpful on my laptop
and office machine when I am doing things (like even
audio) that require lots of CPU attention. Even which slot
the cards are plugged into can affect this performance.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:16:28 GMT, "i'm_tired"
<it_isnt_valid@emailaddy.edu> wrote:

>Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
>> done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
>> 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?
>
>Yup. You should have zero dropped frames.
>
>What are you capturing and how are you capturing it?

I'm capturing video footage from a dv camera (Sony DCR VX20000) over a
firewire (400MB) cable into firewire port on KV8 Asus mobo (for
Athlon64 architecture)

Using Studio8 capture tools.
I'll add that it seems to have all happened early in the transfer.
Since when I noticed, it was 30 minutes deep. And at 48 minutes there
had been no more drops. May even have been some blundering I did
getting started I haven't had a chance to test and see if it.
re-occurs.

Thanks posters for some sanity input.

Harry, your problem is most likely STUDIO 8. It is NG. Try capturing with
the Windows Movie Maker to see if your gear is working ok.
"Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
> done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
> 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:16:28 GMT, "i'm_tired"
> <it_isnt_valid@emailaddy.edu> wrote:
>
> >Harry Putnam wrote:
> >> I don't remember seeing this on onther captures... but then I've only
> >> done a total of 3. Using Pinnacle Studio 8 (updated) I notice
> >> 436 frames dropped in 37 minutes of video. Is this abnormal?
> >
> >Yup. You should have zero dropped frames.
> >
> >What are you capturing and how are you capturing it?
>
> I'm capturing video footage from a dv camera (Sony DCR VX20000) over a
> firewire (400MB) cable into firewire port on KV8 Asus mobo (for
> Athlon64 architecture)
>
> Using Studio8 capture tools.
> I'll add that it seems to have all happened early in the transfer.
> Since when I noticed, it was 30 minutes deep. And at 48 minutes there
> had been no more drops. May even have been some blundering I did
> getting started I haven't had a chance to test and see if it.
> re-occurs.
>
> Thanks posters for some sanity input.

If the tape is okay, then it's possibly the HD. If your only HD has big
cache, fast and has ample of space, it might be okay but you should capture
video to a second HD if possible.