Help: capture 8mm (analaog & digital) to windows XP machine

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2004 2:52:26 AM

Hello all,

I'd like to archive all my old family 8mm tapes to my PC so I can burn DVDs.
I have both older analog and newer digital8 tapes. My camcorder just has
RCA jacks plus s-video out - no firewire. My PC has USB 2.0, but I'd buy a
firewire card if that would get better a better quality picture. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
- Mike
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 10:30:32 PM

"Mike Horowitz" <mikeho@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p qWdnbjRh8B2L-XdRVn-uw@comcast.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to archive all my old family 8mm tapes to my PC so I can burn
DVDs.
> I have both older analog and newer digital8 tapes. My camcorder just has
> RCA jacks plus s-video out - no firewire. My PC has USB 2.0, but I'd buy
> firewire card if that would get better a better quality picture. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> - Mike

I just did this with 4 hours of 8mm tape (most footage was from the 1950's!)
and a Sony TRV38 MiniDV cam (firewire). It came out great. Captured to Adobe
Premier and added 40-50's music for a soound track, then sent it to DVD.
Much Easier to view DVD's than hauling the 8mm projector out.

If your cam doesn't have firewire, buying one for your pc won't help much.
What tpye of camera is it?
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 11:30:13 AM

My recommendation is get a Canopus ADVC-100 capture device. It can handle
analog or digital input. You'll need a fireware card in your PC. I"ve only
used it for analog capture so far and it works flawlessly.

!