Help: capture 8mm (analaog & digital) to windows XP machine

Hello all,

I'd like to archive all my old family 8mm tapes to my PC so I can burn DVDs.
I have both older analog and newer digital8 tapes. My camcorder just has
RCA jacks plus s-video out - no firewire. My PC has USB 2.0, but I'd buy a
firewire card if that would get better a better quality picture. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
- Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about help capture analaog digital windows machine

    "Mike Horowitz" <mikeho@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'd like to archive all my old family 8mm tapes to my PC so I can burn
    DVDs.
    > I have both older analog and newer digital8 tapes. My camcorder just has
    > RCA jacks plus s-video out - no firewire. My PC has USB 2.0, but I'd buy
    > firewire card if that would get better a better quality picture. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - Mike

    I just did this with 4 hours of 8mm tape (most footage was from the 1950's!)
    and a Sony TRV38 MiniDV cam (firewire). It came out great. Captured to Adobe
    Premier and added 40-50's music for a soound track, then sent it to DVD.
    Much Easier to view DVD's than hauling the 8mm projector out.

    If your cam doesn't have firewire, buying one for your pc won't help much.
    What tpye of camera is it?

    My recommendation is get a Canopus ADVC-100 capture device. It can handle
    analog or digital input. You'll need a fireware card in your PC. I"ve only
    used it for analog capture so far and it works flawlessly.

    "K32" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:Timec.4436$iE.967@okepread04...
    > "Mike Horowitz" <mikeho@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I'd like to archive all my old family 8mm tapes to my PC so I can burn
    > DVDs.
    > > I have both older analog and newer digital8 tapes. My camcorder just
    has
    > > RCA jacks plus s-video out - no firewire. My PC has USB 2.0, but I'd
    buy
    > > firewire card if that would get better a better quality picture. Any
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > - Mike
    > >

    > I just did this with 4 hours of 8mm tape (most footage was from the
    1950's!)
    > and a Sony TRV38 MiniDV cam (firewire). It came out great. Captured to
    Adobe
    > Premier and added 40-50's music for a soound track, then sent it to DVD.
    > Much Easier to view DVD's than hauling the 8mm projector out.
    >
    > If your cam doesn't have firewire, buying one for your pc won't help much.
    > What tpye of camera is it?

Tuner Cards Video Windows XP Graphics