DV500/Premiere65/Pro/Edition/confused

jeff

OK, Here's my feeble attempt to describe where i am and where i should go.

I started last year with a Pentium 3 850MHZ

I have the following now

P4 3.2 gig 1 gig ram twin 7200 rpm drives win xp pro and firewire inputs

All in wonder 9800 Pro
DVD 500
Premiere 6.5
Premiere Pro

I haven't even edited since my 850 P3 days.

Now with this new system complete and given all this equipment I have I'm
asking myself:

Can I use the raw power of the P$ 3.2 ghz with HT technology and edit with
premiere pro?

Can I do my analog video capture with my all in wonder and would that be
suitable to mix with dv footage captured via firewire into premiere pro?

Is there any advantage given the speed of my system and the fact that I have
an AIL 9800 pro with analog inputs and outputs.

The dvd500's breakout box had analog i/o too.

So, bottome line: keep the DVD500 and edit with prem 6.5 or lose the dvd500,
edit with premiere pro?

Or........ get edition or liquid edition and edit with DVD500?

Any help appreciated?

Also lastly, since I'm investing in 17" monitors (flat screen with native
1280 x 1024) do i need one or two, and will I be able to get program or
preview out, or do i need NTSC monitors with composite in for that?

much obliged,

jeff

> Can I use the raw power of the P$ 3.2 ghz with HT technology and edit
with
> premiere pro?

Yes, PP will recognize your system as a dual processor. Whether that
makes any difference in the real world is subject to much
speculation/debate.

> Can I do my analog video capture with my all in wonder and would that
be
> suitable to mix with dv footage captured via firewire into premiere
pro?

Yes. With your AIW you can do your analog capture in _uncompressed_ avi
format, which has no quality loss at all.

> So, bottome line: keep the DVD500 and edit with prem 6.5 or lose the
dvd500,
> edit with premiere pro?

I think PP is a much better product than 6.5 but others may disagree.

jeff

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote in message
> > Can I use the raw power of the P$ 3.2 ghz with HT technology and edit
> with
> > premiere pro?
>
> Yes, PP will recognize your system as a dual processor. Whether that
> makes any difference in the real world is subject to much
> speculation/debate.

Are you saying that a single processor will be seen as dual?

Also, if I might ask, what combination of monitors both CRT/LCD and NTSC
should I use since my main output product shall be MAINLY DVD with only an
ocassional videotape.

TIA

Jeff

> > Yes, PP will recognize your system as a dual processor. Whether that
> > makes any difference in the real world is subject to much
> > speculation/debate.
>

> Are you saying that a single processor will be seen as dual?

Yes.

> Also, if I might ask, what combination of monitors both CRT/LCD and
NTSC
> should I use since my main output product shall be MAINLY DVD with
only an
> ocassional videotape.

Can't help you on that one as I use a Sony CRT, burn the DVD output to a
DVD-RW to view it on my home entertainment system and then burn to
regular DVD to distribute.

Many people have had problems with video captures from All In Wonder cards.

Let's establish some facts here:

The DV(D)500 will only work with Premier 6.5 Pinnacle will not support PPro
which I think is freakin stupid and a CRIME, but you can still capture
analog and DV through 6.6/the DV500 it and then Import the video into PPro
to edit where it will have to be converted in PPro DV format.

For Premier Pro you will need an OHCI firewire card -- The DVD500 doesn't
work as a universal one since it's proprietary hardware.

I have a recent version of Pinnacle Liquid Edition that I got for $50 from
Pinnacle. It's fairly complex and unintuitive to me,
but that just might be my primative brain. It turns the DV500 into a basic
firewire card with no realtime functionality if you want that you have to
ditch the DV500 and shell out for the "Pro" version of Edition.

BUT: as long as you have an OHCI firewire card and a slammin' 3.2 ghz , your
best bet is to just run PPro -- your pc's speed will give you very
satisfying realtime effects. The DV500 -- if you can get it to work with no
conflicts -- Pwaaahaaa
can be used for analog capture.

I just got PPro to work with a second hand Canopus DVSTORM, THAT'S the way
to go Man..........---JP

jeff

> For Premier Pro you will need an OHCI firewire card -- The DVD500 doesn't
> work as a universal one since it's proprietary hardware.

I thought with Pinnacles latest drivers (4.5) it nook away the propritary
firewire and made it ohci.

jeff

> Many people have had problems with video captures from All In Wonder
cards.

As with almost all h/w, almost all problems are user induced and the
vast majority have no problem. That's why they're so popular.

> Let's establish some facts here:
>
> The DV(D)500 will only work with Premier 6.5 Pinnacle will not support
PPro
> which I think is freakin stupid and a CRIME, but you can still capture
> analog and DV through 6.6/the DV500 it and then Import the video into
PPro
> to edit where it will have to be converted in PPro DV format.

Why convert it to the DV format, which is a lossy compressed format,
when it will be recompressed into DVD format? Why compress analog data
twice when he doesn't have to?

> BUT: as long as you have an OHCI firewire card and a slammin' 3.2 ghz
, your
> best bet is to just run PPro -- your pc's speed will give you very
> satisfying realtime effects. The DV500 -- if you can get it to work
with no
> conflicts -- Pwaaahaaa
> can be used for analog capture.

The op already has the AIW, why would he want to capture analog data
with the DV500?

> I just got PPro to work with a second hand Canopus DVSTORM, THAT'S the
way
> to go Man..........---JP

Other than being able to use PP with it, what would another $1000
investment in a DVSTORM give him that the combo of the AIW and DV500
doesn't already provide him with?

jeff

Can't resist asking this one.

Although just getting my feet wet, what kind of encoding to DVD would yield
superior quality on a 65" digital Hi def widescreen as well as a 4:3 sony?

jeff

OK here is my "advice" worth every cent I'm charging

SELL the DV500 and Premiere 6.5 on E-Bay.
use the money to :
buy a 1394 card ($14-$24).
Then use the rest to help buy a DV camcorder with Pass-thru.

Hook up the system this way:
PC[1394 card]<---[1394 cable]--->Camcorder<----------S-Video/sound VCR
or 8mm or TV output or whatever

|-----composit/sound

Advantage: ALL video is in DV format
Use that WONDERFULL Premiere Pro ( I have it but I use
EDius 2.0)

Hardware "advice"
Monitors Two is better than one
I have two 21" and a 13"TV ( am LUSTING over 21.3" LCD's)
Keep all the Drives[arrays] that you can on single channels.
This is to keep "seeks" from disturbing Video
reading/writing
My system: IDE master 1 40Gb ---- OS/swap file/application
SIL 680 Raid card[ four drives-two
arrays ] 200GB each
Promise 378 Raid[ four drives-two
arrays ] 240GB each
Array-1 Capture
Array-2 Editing files
titles/sound/stc
Array-3 Movies
Array-4 DVD movies , etc
Please note all this hardware REQUIRES a powersupply with
28A of +12v
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe, 1Gb memory, 2.8Ghz overclocked to
3.0Ghz
Canopus Storm-2, Edius 2.0, Premiere
Pro,Audition,Encore, Photoshop 7.0, After Efects 5.5
My wife says it would be cheaper if I had a mistress. I can't. No time.

Jeff wrote:

>>For Premier Pro you will need an OHCI firewire card -- The DVD500 doesn't
>>work as a universal one since it's proprietary hardware.
>>

> I thought with Pinnacles latest drivers (4.5) it nook away the propritary
> firewire and made it ohci.

Correct

> Can't resist asking this one.
>
> Although just getting my feet wet, what kind of encoding to DVD would
yield
> superior quality on a 65" digital Hi def widescreen as well as a 4:3
sony?

IMO, it all has to do with the quality of the original signal. I've
never been able to tell the difference in encoders like say between TMPG
or Main Concept or ProCoder. But I've got a large satellite dish that I
capture totally uncompressed signals from and a small dish, where the
original signal has already been mpeg encoded when I capture it. That
difference is pretty easy to see but still not bad to view. Both look
fine on my TV so I use the small dish for my signal input. I'm sure
others will say one encoder or the other is better, or the authoring
package make the difference but until you objectively view the display
of the end product, it's all relative to what you're used to.