DV500/Premiere65/Pro/Edition/confused

OK, Here's my feeble attempt to describe where i am and where i should go.

I started last year with a Pentium 3 850MHZ

I have the following now

P4 3.2 gig 1 gig ram twin 7200 rpm drives win xp pro and firewire inputs

All in wonder 9800 Pro
DVD 500
Premiere 6.5
Premiere Pro

I haven't even edited since my 850 P3 days.

Now with this new system complete and given all this equipment I have I'm
asking myself:

Can I use the raw power of the P$ 3.2 ghz with HT technology and edit with
premiere pro?

Can I do my analog video capture with my all in wonder and would that be
suitable to mix with dv footage captured via firewire into premiere pro?

Is there any advantage given the speed of my system and the fact that I have
an AIL 9800 pro with analog inputs and outputs.

The dvd500's breakout box had analog i/o too.

So, bottome line: keep the DVD500 and edit with prem 6.5 or lose the dvd500,
edit with premiere pro?

Or........ get edition or liquid edition and edit with DVD500?

Any help appreciated?

Also lastly, since I'm investing in 17" monitors (flat screen with native
1280 x 1024) do i need one or two, and will I be able to get program or
preview out, or do i need NTSC monitors with composite in for that?

much obliged,

jeff
10 answers Last reply
More about dv500 premiere65 edition confused

    > Can I use the raw power of the P$ 3.2 ghz with HT technology and edit
    with
    > premiere pro?

    Yes, PP will recognize your system as a dual processor. Whether that
    makes any difference in the real world is subject to much
    speculation/debate.

    > Can I do my analog video capture with my all in wonder and would that
    be
    > suitable to mix with dv footage captured via firewire into premiere
    pro?

    Yes. With your AIW you can do your analog capture in _uncompressed_ avi
    format, which has no quality loss at all.

    > So, bottome line: keep the DVD500 and edit with prem 6.5 or lose the
    dvd500,
    > edit with premiere pro?

    I think PP is a much better product than 6.5 but others may disagree.

    "Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote in message
    > > Can I use the raw power of the P$ 3.2 ghz with HT technology and edit
    > with
    > > premiere pro?
    >
    > Yes, PP will recognize your system as a dual processor. Whether that
    > makes any difference in the real world is subject to much
    > speculation/debate.

    Are you saying that a single processor will be seen as dual?

    Also, if I might ask, what combination of monitors both CRT/LCD and NTSC
    should I use since my main output product shall be MAINLY DVD with only an
    ocassional videotape.

    TIA

    Jeff

    > > Yes, PP will recognize your system as a dual processor. Whether that
    > > makes any difference in the real world is subject to much
    > > speculation/debate.
    >

    > Are you saying that a single processor will be seen as dual?

    Yes.

    > Also, if I might ask, what combination of monitors both CRT/LCD and
    NTSC
    > should I use since my main output product shall be MAINLY DVD with
    only an
    > ocassional videotape.

    Can't help you on that one as I use a Sony CRT, burn the DVD output to a
    DVD-RW to view it on my home entertainment system and then burn to
    regular DVD to distribute.

    Many people have had problems with video captures from All In Wonder cards.

    Let's establish some facts here:

    The DV(D)500 will only work with Premier 6.5 Pinnacle will not support PPro
    which I think is freakin stupid and a CRIME, but you can still capture
    analog and DV through 6.6/the DV500 it and then Import the video into PPro
    to edit where it will have to be converted in PPro DV format.

    For Premier Pro you will need an OHCI firewire card -- The DVD500 doesn't
    work as a universal one since it's proprietary hardware.

    I have a recent version of Pinnacle Liquid Edition that I got for $50 from
    Pinnacle. It's fairly complex and unintuitive to me,
    but that just might be my primative brain. It turns the DV500 into a basic
    firewire card with no realtime functionality if you want that you have to
    ditch the DV500 and shell out for the "Pro" version of Edition.

    BUT: as long as you have an OHCI firewire card and a slammin' 3.2 ghz , your
    best bet is to just run PPro -- your pc's speed will give you very
    satisfying realtime effects. The DV500 -- if you can get it to work with no
    conflicts -- Pwaaahaaa
    can be used for analog capture.

    I just got PPro to work with a second hand Canopus DVSTORM, THAT'S the way
    to go Man..........---JP

    > For Premier Pro you will need an OHCI firewire card -- The DVD500 doesn't
    > work as a universal one since it's proprietary hardware.

    I thought with Pinnacles latest drivers (4.5) it nook away the propritary
    firewire and made it ohci.

    jeff

    > Many people have had problems with video captures from All In Wonder
    cards.

    As with almost all h/w, almost all problems are user induced and the
    vast majority have no problem. That's why they're so popular.

    > Let's establish some facts here:
    >
    > The DV(D)500 will only work with Premier 6.5 Pinnacle will not support
    PPro
    > which I think is freakin stupid and a CRIME, but you can still capture
    > analog and DV through 6.6/the DV500 it and then Import the video into
    PPro
    > to edit where it will have to be converted in PPro DV format.

    Why convert it to the DV format, which is a lossy compressed format,
    when it will be recompressed into DVD format? Why compress analog data
    twice when he doesn't have to?

    > BUT: as long as you have an OHCI firewire card and a slammin' 3.2 ghz
    , your
    > best bet is to just run PPro -- your pc's speed will give you very
    > satisfying realtime effects. The DV500 -- if you can get it to work
    with no
    > conflicts -- Pwaaahaaa
    > can be used for analog capture.

    The op already has the AIW, why would he want to capture analog data
    with the DV500?

    > I just got PPro to work with a second hand Canopus DVSTORM, THAT'S the
    way
    > to go Man..........---JP

    Other than being able to use PP with it, what would another $1000
    investment in a DVSTORM give him that the combo of the AIW and DV500
    doesn't already provide him with?

    Can't resist asking this one.

    Although just getting my feet wet, what kind of encoding to DVD would yield
    superior quality on a 65" digital Hi def widescreen as well as a 4:3 sony?

    jeff

    OK here is my "advice" worth every cent I'm charging

    SELL the DV500 and Premiere 6.5 on E-Bay.
    use the money to :
    buy a 1394 card ($14-$24).
    Then use the rest to help buy a DV camcorder with Pass-thru.

    Hook up the system this way:
    PC[1394 card]<---[1394 cable]--->Camcorder<----------S-Video/sound VCR
    or 8mm or TV output or whatever

    |-----composit/sound

    Advantage: ALL video is in DV format
    Use that WONDERFULL Premiere Pro ( I have it but I use
    EDius 2.0)

    Hardware "advice"
    Monitors Two is better than one
    I have two 21" and a 13"TV ( am LUSTING over 21.3" LCD's)
    Keep all the Drives[arrays] that you can on single channels.
    This is to keep "seeks" from disturbing Video
    reading/writing
    My system: IDE master 1 40Gb ---- OS/swap file/application
    SIL 680 Raid card[ four drives-two
    arrays ] 200GB each
    Promise 378 Raid[ four drives-two
    arrays ] 240GB each
    Array-1 Capture
    Array-2 Editing files
    titles/sound/stc
    Array-3 Movies
    Array-4 DVD movies , etc
    Please note all this hardware REQUIRES a powersupply with
    28A of +12v
    Asus P4C800E-Deluxe, 1Gb memory, 2.8Ghz overclocked to
    3.0Ghz
    Canopus Storm-2, Edius 2.0, Premiere
    Pro,Audition,Encore, Photoshop 7.0, After Efects 5.5
    My wife says it would be cheaper if I had a mistress. I can't. No time.

    Jeff wrote:

    >>For Premier Pro you will need an OHCI firewire card -- The DVD500 doesn't
    >>work as a universal one since it's proprietary hardware.
    >>

    > I thought with Pinnacles latest drivers (4.5) it nook away the propritary
    > firewire and made it ohci.

    Correct

    > Can't resist asking this one.
    >
    > Although just getting my feet wet, what kind of encoding to DVD would
    yield
    > superior quality on a 65" digital Hi def widescreen as well as a 4:3
    sony?

    IMO, it all has to do with the quality of the original signal. I've
    never been able to tell the difference in encoders like say between TMPG
    or Main Concept or ProCoder. But I've got a large satellite dish that I
    capture totally uncompressed signals from and a small dish, where the
    original signal has already been mpeg encoded when I capture it. That
    difference is pretty easy to see but still not bad to view. Both look
    fine on my TV so I use the small dish for my signal input. I'm sure
    others will say one encoder or the other is better, or the authoring
    package make the difference but until you objectively view the display
    of the end product, it's all relative to what you're used to.

Tuner Cards Graphics