AVI/ DV Codec

jeff

Another thing I'm stumped on.

What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.

I know with the DVD5oo board by Pinnacle there was a hardware codec.

If I don't use the board and go directly through my DV camera into my Pc's
firewire into premiere pro, is that captured video "DV"?

Also, with the uncompressed analog captured via the AIW9800 Pro, is that DV.

In other words, will the assmbled files from both firewire and analog
captures coexist in premiere pro?

Just lost here with the purpose and meaning of a DV codec.

My final desired output is to DVD and an ocassional VHS/SVHS tape

TIA,

Jeff

>Another thing I'm stumped on.
>
>What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.
>
>I know with the DVD5oo board by Pinnacle there was a hardware codec.
>
>If I don't use the board and go directly through my DV camera into my Pc's
>firewire into premiere pro, is that captured video "DV"?
>
>Also, with the uncompressed analog captured via the AIW9800 Pro, is that DV.
>
>In other words, will the assmbled files from both firewire and analog
>captures coexist in premiere pro?
>
>Just lost here with the purpose and meaning of a DV codec.
>
>My final desired output is to DVD and an ocassional VHS/SVHS tape
>
>TIA,
>
>Jeff

Jeff,

You're going to have to learn English or how to use a spelling/grammer checker
before you can expect a useful answer in this venue.. I could guess at your
questions, but why should I ( or anyone else) do so? Lots of people are
willing to help, but won't until they understand the question(s). You seem to
have a normal US public school education and attitude, so I feel sorry for you,
but it is your problem, not mine, nor ours.
webpa

Jeff wrote:

> Another thing I'm stumped on.
>
> What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.

There are tons of different video formats (ways of storing the film data
digitally), and you need a codec so your computer can interpret and display
a particular format.

My guess is that a hardware codec (usually found on capture cards) will be
faster than a software codec, but the downside is that you need a physical
card in your computer to view the clips. To view your DV clips on a
computer lacking hardware codec, you need to install a software codec.
If you only want to edit your film on one computer, you can do it on the
one with the hardware codec and export to another codec, such as MPEG, that
is usually installed on most computers. This will allow you to watch the
final film anywhere.

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

>What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.

Assuming you mean "DV codec"?

ALL AVI files must have a "codec". It is the computer equivalent
of a "magic decoder ring". It is used to define how the video and
audio are captured and stored in the file. DV is just one of scores
of different encodings (or "codecs" as we have come to call them.)

> I know with the DVD5oo board by Pinnacle there was a hardware
> codec.
>
> If I don't use the board and go directly through my DV camera into
> my Pc's firewire into premiere pro, is that captured video "DV"?

Yes. All codecs are "software", but some of them are implemented
in firmware/hardware (such as in a camcorder or a digital VCR).

> Also, with the uncompressed analog captured via the AIW9800
> Pro, is that DV.
> In other words, will the assmbled files from both firewire and
> analog captures coexist in premiere pro?

AVI files with DV are all the same (assuming they are all NTSC
or all PAL, etc.) Regardless of whether they were encoded in the
camcorder (digial into the computer) or in a capture card in your
computer (analog into the computer).

> Just lost here with the purpose and meaning of a DV codec.

The purpose of ANY codec is to describe how the video/audio
is encoded in the disk file (or on the tape). In that respect, DV is
no different than any other encoding/codec.

> My final desired output is to DVD and an ocassional VHS/SVHS tape

Irrelevant to the codec question. (Assuming you have appropriate
software to convert DV to MPEG for DVDs, etc.)

"Josef Garvi" wrote ...
> My guess is that a hardware codec (usually found on capture
> cards) will be faster than a software codec,

Unless you have a really slow computer (~100 MHz = 0.1 GHz)
software DV codecs are perfectly capable of keeping up with
encoding (recording) or decoding (playing back) video in real
time. You don't need any faster than that.

jeff

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:27:11 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>AVI files with DV are all the same (assuming they are all NTSC
>or all PAL, etc.) Regardless of whether they were encoded in the
>camcorder (digial into the computer) or in a capture card in your
>computer (analog into the computer).

If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?

If you had 1 machine with only Pinnacle's DV Codec and another machine
with only Panasonic's DV Codec, could you play the same AVI file on
either machine? Or do you mean they are the same in terms of quality?

On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:

>If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
>Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
>compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?

Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.

>On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
>supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
>so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.

Huffyuv takes about double the space of DV. It also depends on the
resolution, which is a fixed one with DV, but can be changed for
Huffyuv. When digitizing VHS tapes, many use 352x480 (576 for PAL)
resolution with Huffyuv, which then occupies about the same as DV.
Huffyuv is certainly preferable to DV in terms of quality, specially
as many a DV codec seems to be worse than it should.

Bariloche wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:
>
> >If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
> >Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
> >compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?
>
> Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.
>
> >On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
> >supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
> >so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.
>
> Huffyuv takes about double the space of DV. It also depends on the
> resolution, which is a fixed one with DV, but can be changed for
> Huffyuv. When digitizing VHS tapes, many use 352x480 (576 for PAL)
> resolution with Huffyuv, which then occupies about the same as DV.
> Huffyuv is certainly preferable to DV in terms of quality, specially
> as many a DV codec seems to be worse than it should.

I realize this is a little off topic, but the best DV codec I ever used was
the one that shipped with EditDV/Cinestream. Unfortunately that program was
entirely Quicktime based (which undoubtedly helped lead to it's downfall),
but it did beautiful full 720x480 captures.

I keep Cinestream installed on my hard drive just for that reason.

You might still find copies of it selling for around $99 at B&H (a far cry
from the $500 I paid for it when it was called EditDV).

Keith

Bariloche wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:
>

>>If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
>>Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
>>compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?
>

> Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.

Any opinion on how good / bad Panasonic's codec is?

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:

>If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
>Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
>compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?

Yes they are compatible, but not all the same quality.
BTW there is no built-in DV codec with Pinnacle. Studio uses
Microsoft's codec by default, that comes with DirectX. Only the oldest
version (StudioDV) also installed a VFW DV codec that is useful for
some apps, VirtualDub for example, but not used by StudioDV itself.

The Panasonic DV codec is another VFW codec, not necessary for Studio.
Quality wise, I have not tested it but somebody wrote it was the same
as Microsoft's (which wouldn't be the best quality).

If you want perfection, get the Mainconcept codec ($$). However, this
will by no means work well with all Studio versions (test drive it
first, I remember that smart rendering was sometimes gone, which is
not that desirable). You won't also really need it if you don't
re-render or filter entire videos. For transitions only, the MS codec
is good enough.

>On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
>supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
>so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.

If the source is DV, nothing else necessary.
MPEG2 and MJPEG can have a higher color resolution (4:2:2 instead of
4:1:1). If that matters, try the PIC MJPEG codec that is now INCLUDED
IN STUDIO9 (even the OEM (SE) version, which makes it much cheaper to
acquire). At Q=19 it surpasses DV.

You'll find some test pictures on my page (DV and DVD section).

Cheers

http://www.codecpage.com

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:
>
> >If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
> >Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
> >compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?
>
> Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.
>
> >On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
> >supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
> >so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.
>
> Huffyuv takes about double the space of DV. It also depends on the
> resolution, which is a fixed one with DV, but can be changed for
> Huffyuv. When digitizing VHS tapes, many use 352x480 (576 for PAL)
> resolution with Huffyuv, which then occupies about the same as DV.
> Huffyuv is certainly preferable to DV in terms of quality, specially
> as many a DV codec seems to be worse than it should.

Is huffyuv a capture program and recognise firewire? and where would i find
some instructions?

Many thanks

Margaret

Remove giggling if replying by email