AVI/ DV Codec

Another thing I'm stumped on.

What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.

I know with the DVD5oo board by Pinnacle there was a hardware codec.

If I don't use the board and go directly through my DV camera into my Pc's
firewire into premiere pro, is that captured video "DV"?

Also, with the uncompressed analog captured via the AIW9800 Pro, is that DV.

In other words, will the assmbled files from both firewire and analog
captures coexist in premiere pro?

Just lost here with the purpose and meaning of a DV codec.

My final desired output is to DVD and an ocassional VHS/SVHS tape

TIA,

Jeff
10 answers Last reply
More about codec

    >Another thing I'm stumped on.
    >
    >What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.
    >
    >I know with the DVD5oo board by Pinnacle there was a hardware codec.
    >
    >If I don't use the board and go directly through my DV camera into my Pc's
    >firewire into premiere pro, is that captured video "DV"?
    >
    >Also, with the uncompressed analog captured via the AIW9800 Pro, is that DV.
    >
    >In other words, will the assmbled files from both firewire and analog
    >captures coexist in premiere pro?
    >
    >Just lost here with the purpose and meaning of a DV codec.
    >
    >My final desired output is to DVD and an ocassional VHS/SVHS tape
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Jeff

    Jeff,

    You're going to have to learn English or how to use a spelling/grammer checker
    before you can expect a useful answer in this venue.. I could guess at your
    questions, but why should I ( or anyone else) do so? Lots of people are
    willing to help, but won't until they understand the question(s). You seem to
    have a normal US public school education and attitude, so I feel sorry for you,
    but it is your problem, not mine, nor ours.
    webpa

    Jeff wrote:

    > Another thing I'm stumped on.
    >
    > What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.

    There are tons of different video formats (ways of storing the film data
    digitally), and you need a codec so your computer can interpret and display
    a particular format.

    My guess is that a hardware codec (usually found on capture cards) will be
    faster than a software codec, but the downside is that you need a physical
    card in your computer to view the clips. To view your DV clips on a
    computer lacking hardware codec, you need to install a software codec.
    If you only want to edit your film on one computer, you can do it on the
    one with the hardware codec and export to another codec, such as MPEG, that
    is usually installed on most computers. This will allow you to watch the
    final film anywhere.

    --
    Josef Garvi

    "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
    http://www.eden-foundation.org/

    new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

    >What is the purpose of an DV coded whether hardware or software.

    Assuming you mean "DV codec"?

    ALL AVI files must have a "codec". It is the computer equivalent
    of a "magic decoder ring". It is used to define how the video and
    audio are captured and stored in the file. DV is just one of scores
    of different encodings (or "codecs" as we have come to call them.)

    > I know with the DVD5oo board by Pinnacle there was a hardware
    > codec.
    >
    > If I don't use the board and go directly through my DV camera into
    > my Pc's firewire into premiere pro, is that captured video "DV"?

    Yes. All codecs are "software", but some of them are implemented
    in firmware/hardware (such as in a camcorder or a digital VCR).

    > Also, with the uncompressed analog captured via the AIW9800
    > Pro, is that DV.
    > In other words, will the assmbled files from both firewire and
    > analog captures coexist in premiere pro?

    AVI files with DV are all the same (assuming they are all NTSC
    or all PAL, etc.) Regardless of whether they were encoded in the
    camcorder (digial into the computer) or in a capture card in your
    computer (analog into the computer).

    > Just lost here with the purpose and meaning of a DV codec.

    The purpose of ANY codec is to describe how the video/audio
    is encoded in the disk file (or on the tape). In that respect, DV is
    no different than any other encoding/codec.

    > My final desired output is to DVD and an ocassional VHS/SVHS tape

    Irrelevant to the codec question. (Assuming you have appropriate
    software to convert DV to MPEG for DVDs, etc.)

    "Josef Garvi" wrote ...
    > My guess is that a hardware codec (usually found on capture
    > cards) will be faster than a software codec,

    Unless you have a really slow computer (~100 MHz = 0.1 GHz)
    software DV codecs are perfectly capable of keeping up with
    encoding (recording) or decoding (playing back) video in real
    time. You don't need any faster than that.

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:27:11 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
    <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
    >AVI files with DV are all the same (assuming they are all NTSC
    >or all PAL, etc.) Regardless of whether they were encoded in the
    >camcorder (digial into the computer) or in a capture card in your
    >computer (analog into the computer).

    If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
    Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
    compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?

    If you had 1 machine with only Pinnacle's DV Codec and another machine
    with only Panasonic's DV Codec, could you play the same AVI file on
    either machine? Or do you mean they are the same in terms of quality?

    On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
    supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
    so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:

    >If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
    >Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
    >compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?

    Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.

    >On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
    >supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
    >so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.

    Huffyuv takes about double the space of DV. It also depends on the
    resolution, which is a fixed one with DV, but can be changed for
    Huffyuv. When digitizing VHS tapes, many use 352x480 (576 for PAL)
    resolution with Huffyuv, which then occupies about the same as DV.
    Huffyuv is certainly preferable to DV in terms of quality, specially
    as many a DV codec seems to be worse than it should.

    Bariloche wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:
    >
    > >If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
    > >Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
    > >compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?
    >
    > Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.
    >
    > >On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
    > >supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
    > >so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.
    >
    > Huffyuv takes about double the space of DV. It also depends on the
    > resolution, which is a fixed one with DV, but can be changed for
    > Huffyuv. When digitizing VHS tapes, many use 352x480 (576 for PAL)
    > resolution with Huffyuv, which then occupies about the same as DV.
    > Huffyuv is certainly preferable to DV in terms of quality, specially
    > as many a DV codec seems to be worse than it should.

    I realize this is a little off topic, but the best DV codec I ever used was
    the one that shipped with EditDV/Cinestream. Unfortunately that program was
    entirely Quicktime based (which undoubtedly helped lead to it's downfall),
    but it did beautiful full 720x480 captures.

    I keep Cinestream installed on my hard drive just for that reason.

    You might still find copies of it selling for around $99 at B&H (a far cry
    from the $500 I paid for it when it was called EditDV).

    Keith

    Bariloche wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:
    >

    >>If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
    >>Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
    >>compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?
    >

    > Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.

    Any opinion on how good / bad Panasonic's codec is?

    --
    Josef Garvi

    "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
    http://www.eden-foundation.org/

    new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:

    >If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
    >Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
    >compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?

    Yes they are compatible, but not all the same quality.
    BTW there is no built-in DV codec with Pinnacle. Studio uses
    Microsoft's codec by default, that comes with DirectX. Only the oldest
    version (StudioDV) also installed a VFW DV codec that is useful for
    some apps, VirtualDub for example, but not used by StudioDV itself.

    The Panasonic DV codec is another VFW codec, not necessary for Studio.
    Quality wise, I have not tested it but somebody wrote it was the same
    as Microsoft's (which wouldn't be the best quality).

    If you want perfection, get the Mainconcept codec ($$). However, this
    will by no means work well with all Studio versions (test drive it
    first, I remember that smart rendering was sometimes gone, which is
    not that desirable). You won't also really need it if you don't
    re-render or filter entire videos. For transitions only, the MS codec
    is good enough.

    >On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
    >supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
    >so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.

    If the source is DV, nothing else necessary.
    MPEG2 and MJPEG can have a higher color resolution (4:2:2 instead of
    4:1:1). If that matters, try the PIC MJPEG codec that is now INCLUDED
    IN STUDIO9 (even the OEM (SE) version, which makes it much cheaper to
    acquire). At Q=19 it surpasses DV.

    You'll find some test pictures on my page (DV and DVD section).

    Cheers

    http://www.codecpage.com

    "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:36:06 GMT, Jeff@post.replies (Jeff) wrote:
    >
    > >If AVI files with DV are all the same, does that mean Pinnacle
    > >Studio's built-in DV Video Encoder Codec is indentical in quality and
    > >compatible with, for instance, Panasonic's VFW DV Codec?
    >
    > Compatible, yes. Same quality, no.
    >
    > >On this subject, I remember hearing about a Huffyuv Codec which
    > >supposedly loses nothing in terms of quality, but also that it took up
    > >so much more disk space than DV that it's best to stick with DV.
    >
    > Huffyuv takes about double the space of DV. It also depends on the
    > resolution, which is a fixed one with DV, but can be changed for
    > Huffyuv. When digitizing VHS tapes, many use 352x480 (576 for PAL)
    > resolution with Huffyuv, which then occupies about the same as DV.
    > Huffyuv is certainly preferable to DV in terms of quality, specially
    > as many a DV codec seems to be worse than it should.

    Is huffyuv a capture program and recognise firewire? and where would i find
    some instructions?

    Many thanks

    Margaret

    Remove giggling if replying by email