Cutting scenes into separate files

Is there a program or utility that can automatically cut a long AVI-file
into separate files - one for each scene?

I know that several programs, like Pinnacle Studio, can index all the
scenes of an AVI-file based on their time code. But this index simply
points into a huge AVI-file that is difficult to handle. I would like to
split my AVIs into small files - one file per scene (like what you get if
you film with a digital "photo" camera), which would make it easy to store
the clips on DVDs and to retrieve the relevant pieces when assembling a
film and not having unlimited HD space.

Any good tools out there?

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Josef Garvi wrote:
> Is there a program or utility that can automatically cut a long
> AVI-file into separate files - one for each scene?
>
> I know that several programs, like Pinnacle Studio, can index all the
> scenes of an AVI-file based on their time code. But this index simply
> points into a huge AVI-file that is difficult to handle. I would like
> to split my AVIs into small files - one file per scene (like what you
> get if you film with a digital "photo" camera), which would make it
> easy to store the clips on DVDs and to retrieve the relevant pieces
> when assembling a film and not having unlimited HD space.
>
> Any good tools out there?

Assuming you're talking about capturing clips and not modifying existing
clips, www.scenalyzer.com will do what you want.
From the site: "ScLive has automatic scene splitting while capturing - each
scene is written into its own .avi file in realtime. "

Mike

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> Assuming you're talking about capturing clips and not modifying existing
> clips, www.scenalyzer.com will do what you want.
> From the site: "ScLive has automatic scene splitting while capturing - each
> scene is written into its own .avi file in realtime. "

Thanks Mike!

Their freeware Scenalyzer even splits the already captured AVI files on the
hard disk. Works well!

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Sam

Josef Garvi <josef@eden-foundation.org> wrote in

> Is there a program or utility that can automatically cut a long
> AVI-file into separate files - one for each scene?
>
> I know that several programs, like Pinnacle Studio, can index all the
> scenes of an AVI-file based on their time code. But this index simply
> points into a huge AVI-file that is difficult to handle. I would like
> to split my AVIs into small files - one file per scene (like what you
> get if you film with a digital "photo" camera), which would make it
> easy to store the clips on DVDs and to retrieve the relevant pieces
> when assembling a film and not having unlimited HD space.
>
> Any good tools out there?

WinDV(freeware)captures from DV tape and creates seperate avi files based
on datetime code.
Sam