Charter for rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

CHARTER: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

This newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.rangefinder, is an open forum for the
discussion of digital rangefinder camera systems.

These systems consist of:

- Digital rangefinder camera bodies with mounts for detachable lenses
- Lenses for those cameras
- Any relevant accessories for those camera systems, including but not
limited to: external flash units, memory cards, microdrives, lens
filters/hoods, camera bags/cases, digital rangefinder camera/lens/accessory
maintenance, tripods and monopods.

Additional On-Topic Discussion:

- Photography techniques, as long as the discussion remains within the
context of digital rangefinder photography
- Image post-processing, as long as the discussion remains within the
context of digital rangefinder photography
- Posting links to personal photo galleries or images, as long as the
discussion remains within the context of digital rangefinder photography
- Discussion of digital backs for film rangefinder bodies

What Is Considered Off-Topic:

- Discussion of pure film cameras
- Discussion of digital point-and-shoot, ZLR, SLR, or any other non-
rangefinder digital cameras
- Discussion of any cameras with non-detachable lenses
- Discussion of scanners
- Discussion of printers
- Posting links to personal photo galleries or images, not in the
context of digital rangefinder photography

Posting off-topic should be kept to a minimum. All off-topic posts
should be prefixed with [OT] or another easily-identifiable prefix in
the subject line. If a segment of any on-topic thread ever becomes
clearly off-topic, it is the duty of those individuals posting to change
the subject line to reflect the off-topic change.

Debating the pros and cons of digital photography vs. film photography
is off-topic. Please be polite and try to not steer any conversations in
that direction. In the event that any segment of any on-topic thread
ever becomes clearly off-topic by debating the pros and cons of digital
photography vs. film photography, it is the duty of those individuals
posting to change the subject line to reflect the off-topic change.

What Is Considered Inappropriate:

- Crossposting to any other newsgroup except where the post is of direct
relevance to each group in the crosspost

What Is Not Permitted:

- Posts from mail2news gateways and/or anonymous remailers
- Flame wars (comparisons between different digital SLR brands or systems
are
permitted as long as they do not degenerate into personal flames)
- Signatures with more than 4 lines
- Exchange and/or discussion of illegal software
- Personal attacks
- Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) other than PGP and small binary
signatures
- Commercial advertisements:

This newsgroup explicitly prohibits the posting of advertisements of any
kind, whether personal, private or commercial, as well as all other
promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography.

Auction announcements (Ebay.com and others) are prohibited.

Posting links to commercial websites with the sole intention of
promoting those sites is not permitted; links to commercial websites may
be posted in the context of answering a specific question.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).

When posting on rec.photo.digital.rangefinder, please use standard
Usenet netiquette. Treat other posters with courtesy and follow standard
conventions when replying to posts. Please trim the posts you reply to,
retaining only the significant portions in your follow up. Preserve
attributions (the bits that specify who wrote what in each post) and
limit your signature to 4 lines or less. To ensure readability, do not
use HTML in your posts and limit your line lengths to the Usenet
standard of 80 characters or less.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

In article <Xns959439E7DE903bswr607h4@130.133.1.4>,
William Drew <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:

> CHARTER: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
>
> This newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.rangefinder, is an open forum for the
> discussion of digital rangefinder camera systems.
>
> These systems consist of:
>
> - Digital rangefinder camera bodies with mounts for detachable lenses

I think it would be helpful to expand your description of what a digital
rangefinder is and how it differs from point and shoot.

To me, point and shoot is just that - it has virtually no controls (no zoom, no
manual control, etc). Everyhting is automatic.

On the other hand, a film rangefinder refers to cameras with double image
rangefinder focussing. Do digital cameras do this?

Regards

David

Charles

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

In article <davidmor-548958.18055827112004@duster.adelaide.on.net>,
David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, a film rangefinder refers to cameras with double image
> rangefinder focussing. Do digital cameras do this?

A digital rangefinder would. You can read a field test of the first and
so far only digital rangefinder at:

<http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/epson-rd1.shtml>

--
Charles

David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> writes:
> William Drew <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> CHARTER: rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
>>
>> This newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.rangefinder, is an open forum for the
>> discussion of digital rangefinder camera systems.
>>
>> These systems consist of:
>>
>> - Digital rangefinder camera bodies with mounts for detachable lenses

> I think it would be helpful to expand your description of what a
> digital rangefinder is and how it differs from point and shoot.
>
> To me, point and shoot is just that - it has virtually no controls
> (no zoom, no manual control, etc). Everyhting is automatic.

Yes - so it is quite obvious that it is not a rangefinder camera,
where you would focus manually with the aid of the rangefinder.

> On the other hand, a film rangefinder refers to cameras with double
> image rangefinder focussing. Do digital cameras do this?

A digital /rangefinder/ would do this (otherwise it would not be
a digital rangefinder).

Currently, there only exist one such camera - the Epson R-D1.
When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?