SP2 Firewire Driver Problem or cable?

I have a Sharp VL-WD450U camcorder that worked fine with my 98SE
machine and which now exhibits funny behaviour on my new XP(SP2)
machine.

The behaviour is this: Upon plugging the camcorder in and turning it
on, XP finds the camcorder. Windows MM2 will recognize it as 'Sharp
DV', then it will rewind the tape to the beginning and start it
playing(for capturing purposes) but at that point it doesn't capture
anything and shortly thereafter it tells me that there is no device
connected.

I have successfully replaced the 1394bus.sys, nic1394.sys, arp1394.sys
and ohci1394.sys files from a friends SP1 machine as recommended
elsewhere. This has not corrected the behaviour.

I have also read (in a different thread somewhere) that replacing the
msdv.sys and stream.sys files with SP1 versions might also be required.

Normally the problems I've read about are that the device is not even
recognized. In my case the device is recognized and then dropped as
soon as I try to capture.

BTW the WinDV program did exactly the same thing .. recognized it and
then promptly dropped it when it started trying to capture.

Any clues? Could it also be a faulty cable? On 98SE it sometimes gave
me the odd problem.

RQ

A new cable is probably the first (and cheapest) option to try.
www.coribright.com

<rfq@dorlan.on.ca> wrote in message
>I have a Sharp VL-WD450U camcorder that worked fine with my 98SE
> machine and which now exhibits funny behaviour on my new XP(SP2)
> machine.
>
> The behaviour is this: Upon plugging the camcorder in and turning it
> on, XP finds the camcorder. Windows MM2 will recognize it as 'Sharp
> DV', then it will rewind the tape to the beginning and start it
> playing(for capturing purposes) but at that point it doesn't capture
> anything and shortly thereafter it tells me that there is no device
> connected.
>
> I have successfully replaced the 1394bus.sys, nic1394.sys, arp1394.sys
> and ohci1394.sys files from a friends SP1 machine as recommended
> elsewhere. This has not corrected the behaviour.
>
> I have also read (in a different thread somewhere) that replacing the
> msdv.sys and stream.sys files with SP1 versions might also be required.
>
> Normally the problems I've read about are that the device is not even
> recognized. In my case the device is recognized and then dropped as
> soon as I try to capture.
>
> BTW the WinDV program did exactly the same thing .. recognized it and
> then promptly dropped it when it started trying to capture.
>
> Any clues? Could it also be a faulty cable? On 98SE it sometimes gave
> me the odd problem.
>
> RQ

Got the new cable and it worked (!!) I had already replaced the
additional two drivers with SP1 versions so I'm not sure if all that
messing around with drivers was required or not. All works fine so I'll
leave it as is.

Thanks.