Pro-one RTDV - Hi-8 connection

TJ

I have pro-one rtdv card and i was wondering how to control the hi-8
sony
tr-700 camera. I connected s-video and audio in on the black box to
the hi-8 camera but when i try to capture using adobe premier --- file
- capture-
but nothing happens ..this camera does not have i-link or DV
connection

by the way ... it complains the no DV device is connected ..
why is it looking for dv device when i have analog connected
it supposed to work with analog as well

please advice
thanks.

TJ wrote:
> I have pro-one rtdv card and i was wondering how to control the hi-8
> sony
> tr-700 camera. I connected s-video and audio in on the black box to
> the hi-8 camera but when i try to capture using adobe premier --- file
> - capture-
> but nothing happens ..this camera does not have i-link or DV
> connection
>
> by the way ... it complains the no DV device is connected ..
> why is it looking for dv device when i have analog connected
> it supposed to work with analog as well
>
> please advice
> thanks.

It will only control the camera if it's hooked up via a 1394 (aka i-link or
DV) cable. Analog signals are just that, signals only, and have no deck
control information. The same is true for a box like the Canopus ADVC-100,
etc.

Mike

TJ

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<c5fei0$12otl$1@ID-113661.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> TJ wrote:
> > I have pro-one rtdv card and i was wondering how to control the hi-8
> > sony
> > tr-700 camera. I connected s-video and audio in on the black box to
> > the hi-8 camera but when i try to capture using adobe premier --- file
> > - capture-
> > but nothing happens ..this camera does not have i-link or DV
> > connection
> >
> > by the way ... it complains the no DV device is connected ..
> > why is it looking for dv device when i have analog connected
> > it supposed to work with analog as well
> >
> > please advice
> > thanks.
>

> It will only control the camera if it's hooked up via a 1394 (aka i-link or
> DV) cable. Analog signals are just that, signals only, and have no deck
> control information. The same is true for a box like the Canopus ADVC-100,
> etc.
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike. It makes sense now.

On 12 Apr 2004 16:57:54 -0700, photonet01@yahoo.com (TJ) wrote:

>I have pro-one rtdv card and i was wondering how to control the hi-8
>sony
>tr-700 camera. I connected s-video and audio in on the black box to
>the hi-8 camera but when i try to capture using adobe premier --- file
>- capture-
>but nothing happens ..this camera does not have i-link or DV
>connection
>
>by the way ... it complains the no DV device is connected ..
>why is it looking for dv device when i have analog connected
>it supposed to work with analog as well

For capture from an analog source -- Hi8, VHS, etc. -- you won't
have any control over the camera. Either start capturing, then press
play on the camcorder, or start playing, then capture when you see
video you want. This applies to any analog capture on any system.

With the Pro-One, it has analog inputs, so you can go into the input
config and set it to capture from analog. Then, it won't ask about DV
device to control. Remember to change it back if you want to capture
from DV.

Though it *will* ask for a DV output device if real time DV out is
enabled, no matter what the capture source. That only matters on
playback, not on capture -- Premiere 6 capture doesn't pass the video
through to DV out.