copy onto dvd

Mandy

l have a panasonic dv,and would like to transfer the home movie direct onto
the computers dvd, is this possible.lf so,how. l am a novice to all this so
please understand if this is a simple task.l have a toshiba A60 dvd super
multi drive.

I have the same problem, I have a A75 Toshiba also with multi drive. I have
a Samsung MiniDV camcorder. When I try to install the driver for the
camcorder (this would have come with your camcorder), I get the message
saying that it is not digitally signed (meaning XP has not been tested with
my Samsung), I can still go ahead and install the driver but they do not
guarantee that PC set-up will not be affected. I am also in the process of
finding out an alternative.

"mandy" wrote:

> l have a panasonic dv,and would like to transfer the home movie direct onto
> the computers dvd, is this possible.lf so,how. l am a novice to all this so
> please understand if this is a simple task.l have a toshiba A60 dvd super
> multi drive.

I have a Samsung camcorder and a Toshiba A75 with dvd multi drive. When I
tried to install the driver for the camcorder, I got message "not digitally
signed" (meaning that XP has not been tested with Samsung). I can still go
ahead and install but no guarantee that it will not affect PC set-up. I am
currently looking for alternative.

"mandy" wrote:

> l have a panasonic dv,and would like to transfer the home movie direct onto
> the computers dvd, is this possible.lf so,how. l am a novice to all this so
> please understand if this is a simple task.l have a toshiba A60 dvd super
> multi drive.

Rose, It sounds like you are trying to connect using the usb lead. This is
no good for video transfer, you need to use firewire (ieee1394).
As for going straight from mini-dv to dvd, you could if ypou had the right
software and a pc which could run the throughput of information. If not,
then it is relatively easy to capture the tape to the computer and tehn
convert it to a dvd.
For this you'll need to connect the cam to the pc via firewire, open movie
maker which comes with xp adn capture the movie. Then you'll need to import
the dv-avi file into the dvd authoring software which came with your burner
and follow it's instructions as to how to burn the dvd.

Check out www.dvdrhelp.com for more info and if you need more advice list
the specs of the pc and the software you will be using.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media