Sign in with
Your question

NHL - Stanley Cup Game 7 Final

June 15, 2011 2:53:44 PM

I was surprised not to see any posts concerning the final game of the Stanley Cup finals tonight. With only home teams winning so far in the final round, the best of 7 series has the final game 7 tonight. For those of you not aware it is the Vancouver Canucks vs the Boston Bruins

Hosted in Vancouver, I hope we don't have a repeat of the 1994 loss to the New York Rangers which had massive riots to the city. With the Canucks only winning marginally at home and getting blown out in Boston it should be interested to see the outcome in this one. Luongo was pulled in the Game 6 game, but they are sticking to him for sure. He hsa proven he is capable in high pressure situations as just a year ago in the 2010 Winter Olympics he helped Canada win olympic gold.

Any opinions on who is going to win the Stanley Cup? Personally I am a Vancouver resident, but one of the very few Boston fans in town here. I think Boston will take it tonight especially with Tim Thomas backing them in net.

Vancouver fans have really supported their team the whole year and especially in this final series, it's quite amazing actually. They shut down streets in the city and host outdoor big screens so people can come out and watch. Especially for those who can't afford the tickets which are $1000 for nosebleed seats, and ~$2000-5000 for decent seats. The last home game (Game 5) saw 100,000 people in the downtown core watching the game. Even on away games in Boston, they open up the Rogers Arena and allow people to come in for $10 to watch the game on the big screen. Even when the team is away they still get at least 14,000 in the rink to watch the game which is quite amazing.

Even though the police have really stepped up their presence downtown for these games, with 100,000 people downtown (more expected for this final home game) win or lose it will be a bad situation. I really hope for the city there are no riots, and the increased police presence is enough of a deterrent.

Anyway, just wanted to start a discussion. Doesn't look like a big NHL supporting forum though ;) 
!