Solved

Upgrade from Vista question

I have a a semi fresh installation of Vista 32 bit on my new machine, it about 2 weeks old. I just got my Windows 7 upgrade retail from UPS today. Right now I am running on a 150GB Velociraptor as the OS boot drive. I'm waiting for the SSD drives to get cheaper and high capacity, and I will upgrade to one of those in the not too distant future.

I use Windows Vista Media Center also and I have a lot of recording scheduled.
My question is if I install Windows 7 on top of Vista, will it save all of my settings in Media center and keep all of my game and program installations intact, or will I have to start over with everything. If thats the case, I'll just wait and do a clean installation when I get a SSD later on.

And if I do install Windows 7 over Vista, and one day I get a new SSD drive to boot from, how will I have to go about doing a clean install on it with the upgrade version of Windows 7

Or is it possible to install the Windows 7 upgrade on a formatted Drive if I have my Vista CD still?
1 answer Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade vista question
  1. Best answer
    If you go from 32 to 32 you can keep all your computer's settings. If you go to 64 you will have to do a clean install.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Media Center Windows Vista