Sign in with
Your question

USB 3.0 PCI-E card -- Renesas/NEC driver failing to install

Last response: in Windows 8
November 12, 2012 3:33:38 PM

Driver will not run in windows 8, card turns off and on consistently.
a b * Windows 8
November 12, 2012 8:32:01 PM

Driver will not run or the installer for the driver will not run?
-some installers require that the vb and java script dlls be registered before they will run.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b * Windows 8
November 12, 2012 8:38:09 PM

tabber said:
Driver will not run in windows 8, card turns off and on consistently.

Hi :) 

8 seems to have a problem with that USB driver...i am not sure there is actually an answer yet...until a new driver is written...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
November 12, 2012 8:57:08 PM

-Your post indicated that the driver failed to install. Which would be a installer error not a device driver error.

-If the installer is failing, look to see what .dlls it requires and make sure they are register with your system.

-Installers sometimes assume that the generic app dlls are registered and they don't do it often works because the dll has already been registered by another installer. In that case your "dumb" installer will fail to work on a fresh OS install but will appear to start working later. Often it will start working after you install some other apps that correctly register the required .dlls

or you can register the dlls with the system command yourself and the installer will start working

m
l
November 12, 2012 9:26:33 PM

I can't speak to the Windows 8 experience but i've had that stupid Renesas installer fail on me a few times in Windows 7. I would suggest not using the installer and let the hardware wizard find the .ini (you might have to help it by showing which folder it is in). Again, I don't know if this works in Windows 8 but I know the installer was broken in Windows 7.

m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 12, 2012 9:50:09 PM

here is a link to a more current driver for windows 8

http://www.drivers-download.com/en/downloadlist.php?id=...

looks like there are a bunch of firmware updates for these devices also.
NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller (uPD720201 & uPD720202) firmware Version 2.0.1.8
You can query for your controller,firmware and update tool if you really want to go that route

m
l
!