Wireless Home Network Trying to Share ADSL Connection

Can anybody give me a few clues on my network problem?

Desktop running XP with SP2 has Netgear wireless access point USB plugged in.
Have created wireless network and bridged this to ADSL connection.

Laptop has Netgear PCMIA Card in can see wireless network but cannot access
Internet. Laptop is running XP without SP2.

Also running NIS 2004.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me.
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless home network share adsl connection

    Forgot to mention have allowed other computers to share internet connection.

    "andi" wrote:

    > Can anybody give me a few clues on my network problem?
    >
    > Desktop running XP with SP2 has Netgear wireless access point USB plugged in.
    > Have created wireless network and bridged this to ADSL connection.
    >
    > Laptop has Netgear PCMIA Card in can see wireless network but cannot access
    > Internet. Laptop is running XP without SP2.
    >
    > Also running NIS 2004.
    >
    > Appreciate any help anyone can give me.

    Bridging 802.11 adapter with wired ethernet won't work. Use ICS with these.

    --PA

    "andi" <andi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C04785C7-8941-4C43-A240-A0ABF69CE376@microsoft.com...
    > Forgot to mention have allowed other computers to share internet connection.
    >
    > "andi" wrote:
    >
    > > Can anybody give me a few clues on my network problem?
    > >
    > > Desktop running XP with SP2 has Netgear wireless access point USB plugged in.
    > > Have created wireless network and bridged this to ADSL connection.
    > >
    > > Laptop has Netgear PCMIA Card in can see wireless network but cannot access
    > > Internet. Laptop is running XP without SP2.
    > >
    > > Also running NIS 2004.
    > >
    > > Appreciate any help anyone can give me.

    USB Access Point??

    You probably mean Wireless USB Client Adaptor.

    You probably have two clients' adaptors and you want to set them to Ad-Hoc
    Wireless Communication (see your Wireless Cards Manual).

    Put temporarily the Internet issue aside. Switch Off ICS, switch Off the
    Firewall, & Antivirus, eliminates Bridging and configure the Wireless Part
    to get a solid connection between the two computers.

    Once you have a solid Wireless connection Switch On ICS and take care of
    the Internet aspect.

    BTW. Setting your Network to regular peer to peer with Wireless Cable/DSL
    might cost a little more but would yield a much better Network, and Internet
    Sharing.

    General Wireless info.

    Wireless - Hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.htm

    Wireless - Extending Distance: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message news:uC3ZqNqmEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > USB Access Point??
    > You probably mean Wireless USB Client Adaptor.

    Hmm. really. Another case of garbage in - garbage out?

    --PA
    A Troll.

    Thanks all.

    Yes I probably did mean Wireless USB Client adaptor.

    It is now up and working very well with WEP enabled.

    Both pc's can surf at the same time.

    Found the following article very useful
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=true

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message news:uC3ZqNqmEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > USB Access Point??
    > > You probably mean Wireless USB Client Adaptor.
    >
    > Hmm. really. Another case of garbage in - garbage out?
    >
    > --PA
    > A Troll.

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking