TV-out card that displays in Overscan area?

I have an older ATI All-In-Wonder card that has TV out jacks, but it
always has a slight black border around the edges (it's not very
noticeable on a TV, but is on a projector).

ATI says the RADEON cards don't have this problem...but the cheapest
RADEON card I can find with TV-out is about $200.

That seems pretty steep for simply outputting video to NTSC...is there
a cheaper card that will do this?
5 answers Last reply
More about card displays overscan area

    Jim Patterson wrote:

    > I have an older ATI All-In-Wonder card that has TV out jacks, but it
    > always has a slight black border around the edges (it's not very
    > noticeable on a TV, but is on a projector).
    >
    > ATI says the RADEON cards don't have this problem...but the cheapest
    > RADEON card I can find with TV-out is about $200.
    >
    > That seems pretty steep for simply outputting video to NTSC...is there
    > a cheaper card that will do this?

    My Nvidia FX5600 based card has adjustable TV out size.

    They were going for about $125 at Newegg.com, last time I looked.

    If you don't need that much 3D power you can take a look at the FX5200
    based cards which go for $60-70.

    "Jim Patterson" <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in message

    > I have an older ATI All-In-Wonder card that has TV out jacks, but it
    > always has a slight black border around the edges (it's not very
    > noticeable on a TV, but is on a projector).
    >
    > ATI says the RADEON cards don't have this problem...but the cheapest
    > RADEON card I can find with TV-out is about $200.
    >
    > That seems pretty steep for simply outputting video to NTSC...is there
    > a cheaper card that will do this?

    Check out Newegg.com. I recently bought a couple of Radeon 9600 (ATI
    chipset off-brand) cards for work at $70 each including shipping. It has TV
    out, VGA, and DVI. You will probably need to view all 9600 video cards and
    sort by price.

    I don't have a lot of confidence in ATI's claim wrt the overscan issue.
    From what I know Matrox is possibly the only card maker that does this
    properly.

    "Jim Patterson" <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in message

    > I have an older ATI All-In-Wonder card that has TV out jacks, but it
    > always has a slight black border around the edges (it's not very
    > noticeable on a TV, but is on a projector).
    >
    > ATI says the RADEON cards don't have this problem...but the cheapest
    > RADEON card I can find with TV-out is about $200.
    >
    > That seems pretty steep for simply outputting video to NTSC...is there
    > a cheaper card that will do this?

    Have you tried the latest drivers and control panel. There is a setting
    for overscan. I have a Radeon VE and it worked with that. The button for
    overscan is in advanced - displays - adjustments.

    Jim Patterson wrote:

    > I have an older ATI All-In-Wonder card that has TV out
    > jacks, but it always has a slight black border around
    > the edges (it's not very noticeable on a TV, but is on
    > a projector).

    Try <http://www.rageunderground.com/r128tweaker.shtml>. It might
    allow you to switch into an overscanned mode.

    (For more information, see <http://groups.google.com/groups?
    selm=v18lju44us74on55msihud66pgjm4u43ml%404ax.com> and read
    on from the paragraph where it says "One other problem you
    will run into, the ATI 128 card's video-out leaves a black
    border at the top and bottom of your TV display...".)

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho wrote:

    > Try <http://www.rageunderground.com/r128tweaker.shtml>.

    Oops. See http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6aflju09ggplk
    j6rbo3jnvrng5eetuvmet%404ax.com> instead.

    --
    znark

Tuner Cards TV ATI Video Displays Radeon Graphics