WMV to MPEG

January 27, 2005 6:48:46 AM

Can someone tell me how to convert a wmv file to mpeg.

I have captured the video and it automatically saves it
as a wmv file. To be able to save onto a DVD-RW and then
play on my DVD I have been told it needs to be a mpeg
file. Is tha right?

Please keep any instruction as simple as possible, please
as I am not an IT expert!

Many thanks

Peter

More about : wmv mpeg

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:52:27 PM

If you are using movie maker, your best bet for quality is to save the movie
as a dv-avi file, not wmv. This will be accepted by all dvd authoring apps,
which you should have had one with your writer, and this app will do the
necessary conversion.
Save as dv-avi and not wmv as wmv is compressed, then you will compress
again to mpeg and quality will go down.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Peter Taylor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me how to convert a wmv file to mpeg.
>
> I have captured the video and it automatically saves it
> as a wmv file. To be able to save onto a DVD-RW and then
> play on my DVD I have been told it needs to be a mpeg
> file. Is tha right?
>
> Please keep any instruction as simple as possible, please
> as I am not an IT expert!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Peter
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:52:28 PM

Thank you, Graham.

However, am I right in understanding saving as dv-avi is
only an option if I am capturing digital video. My camera
in an analogue.

If this is right do you have any other suggestions,
please?

Peter

wrote in message
>> Can someone tell me how to convert a wmv file to mpeg.
>>
>> I have captured the video and it automatically saves it
>> as a wmv file. To be able to save onto a DVD-RW and
then
>> play on my DVD I have been told it needs to be a mpeg
>> file. Is tha right?
>>
>> Please keep any instruction as simple as possible,
please
>> as I am not an IT expert!
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Peter
>

>.

January 28, 2005 5:04:05 PM

There are lots of video capture devices available --both internal PCI
cards and external "boxes" that connect to a PC by USB or Firewire.
These come with software for capturing and editing video. One of these
software programs will do what you want, even if movie maker won't.

Ken

Peter Taylor wrote:
> Thank you, Graham.
>
> However, am I right in understanding saving as dv-avi is
> only an option if I am capturing digital video. My camera
> in an analogue.
>
> If this is right do you have any other suggestions,
> please?
>
> Peter

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:12:03 PM

What do you capture in? If it's wmv then you should still have the dv-avi
option. If it's something else let me know what it is.

--

> Thank you, Graham.
>
> However, am I right in understanding saving as dv-avi is
> only an option if I am capturing digital video. My camera
> in an analogue.
>
> If this is right do you have any other suggestions,
> please?
>
> Peter

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 5:04:53 PM

No, you capture in whatever format, saving it as dv avi will retain as much
of the original quality as possible.

So analogue.in via capture hardware but save as dv avi or if starting as
mpeg then go for max quality - as with Dazzle DVC150 it can only capture
composite or SVHS etc.

--

http://www.MettaWeb.com

!