WMV to MPEG

Can someone tell me how to convert a wmv file to mpeg.

I have captured the video and it automatically saves it
as a wmv file. To be able to save onto a DVD-RW and then
play on my DVD I have been told it needs to be a mpeg
file. Is tha right?

Please keep any instruction as simple as possible, please
as I am not an IT expert!

Many thanks

Peter
5 answers Last reply
More about mpeg

    If you are using movie maker, your best bet for quality is to save the movie
    as a dv-avi file, not wmv. This will be accepted by all dvd authoring apps,
    which you should have had one with your writer, and this app will do the
    necessary conversion.
    Save as dv-avi and not wmv as wmv is compressed, then you will compress
    again to mpeg and quality will go down.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Peter Taylor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to convert a wmv file to mpeg.
    >
    > I have captured the video and it automatically saves it
    > as a wmv file. To be able to save onto a DVD-RW and then
    > play on my DVD I have been told it needs to be a mpeg
    > file. Is tha right?
    >
    > Please keep any instruction as simple as possible, please
    > as I am not an IT expert!
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Peter

    Thank you, Graham.

    However, am I right in understanding saving as dv-avi is
    only an option if I am capturing digital video. My camera
    in an analogue.

    If this is right do you have any other suggestions,
    please?

    Peter

    wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me how to convert a wmv file to mpeg.
    >>
    >> I have captured the video and it automatically saves it
    >> as a wmv file. To be able to save onto a DVD-RW and
    then
    >> play on my DVD I have been told it needs to be a mpeg
    >> file. Is tha right?
    >>
    >> Please keep any instruction as simple as possible,
    please
    >> as I am not an IT expert!
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Peter
    >

    >.

    There are lots of video capture devices available --both internal PCI
    cards and external "boxes" that connect to a PC by USB or Firewire.
    These come with software for capturing and editing video. One of these
    software programs will do what you want, even if movie maker won't.

    Ken

    Peter Taylor wrote:
    > Thank you, Graham.
    >
    > However, am I right in understanding saving as dv-avi is
    > only an option if I am capturing digital video. My camera
    > in an analogue.
    >
    > If this is right do you have any other suggestions,
    > please?
    >
    > Peter

    What do you capture in? If it's wmv then you should still have the dv-avi
    option. If it's something else let me know what it is.

    --

    > Thank you, Graham.
    >
    > However, am I right in understanding saving as dv-avi is
    > only an option if I am capturing digital video. My camera
    > in an analogue.
    >
    > If this is right do you have any other suggestions,
    > please?
    >
    > Peter

    No, you capture in whatever format, saving it as dv avi will retain as much
    of the original quality as possible.

    So analogue.in via capture hardware but save as dv avi or if starting as
    mpeg then go for max quality - as with Dazzle DVC150 it can only capture
    composite or SVHS etc.

    --

    http://www.MettaWeb.com

Video MPEG Windows XP