Pioneer DVR-105/Cendyne won't burn data CD's with Nero or ..

JB

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.periphs.cdr (More info?)

I've been using the Cendyne DVD Writer, which is supposed to be the
same as the Pioneer DVR-105. It worked fine for about a year, the
last 6 months on Windows XP pro. Suddenly, it stopped burning data
CD's properly. If I burn an Audio Cd, it works fine. If I burn a
data CD, it burns and says everything completely properly, but when I
put it in the machine, (I've tried it in multiple computers) it can't
read the Cd, or shows it as unformatted. I've tried

Using different burning software
Upgrading the firmware
Reinstalling, (fresh reimage) XP
Downgrading, (fresh image), to Windows 2k and reinstalling

This problem appeared out of the blue and I ahve not been able to
resolve it. What is really thorwing is that it will burn the audio
CD's without any problem. If not for this I'd assume it was a
hardware issue. Any input and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

On 14 Apr 2004 16:12:32 -0700, Jonny13skyy@yahoo.com (JB) wrote:

>I've been using the Cendyne DVD Writer, which is supposed to be the
>same as the Pioneer DVR-105. It worked fine for about a year, the
>last 6 months on Windows XP pro. Suddenly, it stopped burning data
>CD's properly. If I burn an Audio Cd, it works fine. If I burn a
>data CD, it burns and says everything completely properly, but when I
>put it in the machine, (I've tried it in multiple computers) it can't
>read the Cd, or shows it as unformatted. I've tried
>
>Using different burning software
>Upgrading the firmware
>Reinstalling, (fresh reimage) XP
>Downgrading, (fresh image), to Windows 2k and reinstalling
>
>This problem appeared out of the blue and I ahve not been able to
>resolve it. What is really thorwing is that it will burn the audio
>CD's without any problem. If not for this I'd assume it was a
>hardware issue. Any input and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks very much.

That doesn't rule out hardware problems, a failng laser. CD's require
a lower-power less-focused beam. The calibration cycle takes care of
any relative deficiencies. DVD's require a smaller focus, and maybe
that can't be accomplished. Failure of DVD's before CD's IS the way
writers, and players, fail.

. Steve .

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.periphs.cdr (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:21:07 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
<jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:

>On 14 Apr 2004 16:12:32 -0700, Jonny13skyy@yahoo.com (JB) wrote:
>
>>I've been using the Cendyne DVD Writer, which is supposed to be the
>>same as the Pioneer DVR-105. It worked fine for about a year, the
>>last 6 months on Windows XP pro. Suddenly, it stopped burning data
>>CD's properly. If I burn an Audio Cd, it works fine. If I burn a
>>data CD, it burns and says everything completely properly, but when I
>>put it in the machine, (I've tried it in multiple computers) it can't
>>read the Cd, or shows it as unformatted. I've tried
>>
>>Using different burning software
>>Upgrading the firmware
>>Reinstalling, (fresh reimage) XP
>>Downgrading, (fresh image), to Windows 2k and reinstalling
>>
>>This problem appeared out of the blue and I ahve not been able to
>>resolve it. What is really thorwing is that it will burn the audio
>>CD's without any problem. If not for this I'd assume it was a
>>hardware issue. Any input and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
>>Thanks very much.
>
>That doesn't rule out hardware problems, a failng laser. CD's require
>a lower-power less-focused beam. The calibration cycle takes care of
>any relative deficiencies. DVD's require a smaller focus, and maybe
>that can't be accomplished. Failure of DVD's before CD's IS the way
>writers, and players, fail.

Oh, and since the issue is focus, a bit of dust or binder on the lens
would cause this. Take a look at the lens and see if there's anythng
obscuring it. (It's tricky opening a DVD-rom but for Pioneers it's two
small screws at the back top of the unit, then slide the panel back.)
DON'T use a CD-lens cleaning disc, they can cause problems in some
cases.

"JB" <Jonny13skyy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been using the Cendyne DVD Writer, which is supposed to be the
> same as the Pioneer DVR-105. It worked fine for about a year, the
> last 6 months on Windows XP pro. Suddenly, it stopped burning data
> CD's properly. If I burn an Audio Cd, it works fine. If I burn a
> data CD, it burns and says everything completely properly, but when I
> put it in the machine, (I've tried it in multiple computers) it can't
> read the Cd, or shows it as unformatted. I've tried
>
> Using different burning software
> Upgrading the firmware
> Reinstalling, (fresh reimage) XP
> Downgrading, (fresh image), to Windows 2k and reinstalling
>
> This problem appeared out of the blue and I ahve not been able to
> resolve it. What is really thorwing is that it will burn the audio
> CD's without any problem. If not for this I'd assume it was a
> hardware issue. Any input and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks very much.

Baring the obvious that your burner is failing, I don't see... "Tried
different media" in your list. I used CompUsa DVD+Rs in a burner
successfullly and then after getting a string of several bad burns I
corrected the problem by switching to Imation media.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.periphs.cdr (More info?)

Try installing the drive on a fresh OS install with just the burn
software on the secondary IDE cable as MASTER with no other drives.

Try a burn -- it should work.

If not, bad drive. It has happened to others before... If so,
www.fatwallet.com/forums/ - hot deals for a new one cheap.